Warranties

Ripley

I was cleaning my camera a few days back and my Canon 70-200 L lens rolled off the bed and dropped onto the tiles. It's the f/4 one (not the one with IS in it, just the regular one). It only fell from bed height but the next day, it wouldn't auto focus. Manual focus still worked so that was a challenge as I'm kind of short sighted. :thumbsup: Then that froze up too. I can hear a tiny rattle in it (not good).

When I got my boss to get it for me when he was o/s last year, he also got me a 3 year warranty which I paid for on top of the lens. This warranty says it covers a few things, including "unexpected and unintentional impacts". It's a protection plan warranty from B&H. I'll have to ring them up in the US but does anyone have a warranty like that?

OH says I should lie and say it got damaged in transit but I feel very uncomfortable doing that. He said don't tell them you dropped it, but they aren't idiots and will know when repairing it that it's been dropped

Pretty annoyed that a so called luxury lens can't survive a 2 foot drop onto the floor.

Edited by Ripley

Pretty annoyed that a so called luxury lens can't survive a 2 foot drop onto the floor.

Sorry it's broked :thumbsup:

lenses are precision items- with all sorts of tiny moving parts.. any rough impact may do damage, unfortunately.

Do you have it insured over and above your warranty. If the warranty doens't cover it insurance should.....I hope, cause I've got mine insured for breakage and loss/theft, well I think I have, although it needs some updating now as I've bought more lenses that wont be covered.

Hope you can get it fixed, I would imagine it's worth fixing even if it's costly because to buy a new one would be alot more.

good luck

Yes, I'm an idiot for doing that and it would have had to be my most used lens too wouldn't it. Murphy's law and all that. I'm interested in what the "unintentional impact" cover actually means. As it was unintentional!

Do you have it insured over and above your warranty. If the warranty doens't cover it insurance should.....I hope, cause I've got mine insured for breakage and loss/theft, well I think I have, although it needs some updating now as I've bought more lenses that wont be covered.

Hope you can get it fixed, I would imagine it's worth fixing even if it's costly because to buy a new one would be alot more.

I have travel insurance, get that free from work whenever I take annual leave, whether I stay home or not. However, there is a $250 excess to pay with any claim, so it may be cheaper to send the lens back for repair.

Edited by Ripley

LOL. I can't do that either, I'd have too much guilt. Well the AUD is still strong against the USD atm isn't it?

Yes, if I'd bought my new 100mm macro now I would've probably saved another $30-50 on it!! Then again, the one I got would've already been snapped up and who knows when I would've found another so good.

Edited by Kirislin

I rang the warranty place in the States this morning and I'm covered for accidental dropping. Have to get a quote and then they send me a cheque or, he told me, if it is really, really damaged from dropping it an the cost of repairing is more than the lens' worth, I get a new lens. Phew.

Yep, great warranty. I won't say here what he advised me to do. Let's just say if I were to drop it from a fair height like a balcony, I'd get a new lens. I remember tsking at the extra $66USD it cost me for the warranty because the guy who got it for me bought the 3 year warranty too and I had to pay for that on top of the lens - now I'm very happy he did. It covers even cracking the lens glass too!

Edited by Ripley

I went to a Canon repair place in the city this week. Just got the quote back. $748.66 for a repair. They said it was fractured. Guess I get a brand new lens through the US insurance place! (No I didn't do anything else to it, I couldn't do that).

It's in pieces atm. He has to put it back together. I'll give the place in the US a call tomorrow morning as it will be Friday pm their time. Hope I don't get hit with the labour cost.

ETA: I'd say they need the broken lens as evidence. It's well and truly screwed I'm afraid. The Canon guy said hard tiles and lenses are not a good combination. When he told me it had an internal fracture, I felt like asking him if it was a compound fracture, he was holding it and talking about it like it was a leg or something. :laugh:

Edited by Ripley