My Boy Has A Very Firm Belly

i have just in the last few days increased the amount of food he has been getting as he was starting to look a bit ribby and now he has a rather firm belly and has left food in his bowl.. he normally inhales any food in his bowl..

should i be worried or could it just be that he has had to much to eat in the last 2 days and as such has packed it on??

he gets 1 kg of dog roll, 1 cup of kibble and 14 mighty mix biscuits in the morning and a 2 cups of kibble and another 13 mighty mix in the afternoon.

he is a rotti cross for those of you that havent seen his pics..

he was given a worming tablet on tuesday..

i am giving him the amount that was suggested by a mate that works for the spca but im starting to think i have over fed him..

Toolz dog roll and mighty mix biscuits aren't what I'd call good quality food, the biscuits will be full of cheap fillers for a start and most of the dog rolls also have cheap ingredients. I don't know what brand of kibble you're using, but if it's a cheap one it will be also full of cereal fillers which your dog cannot digest efficiently hence the bloating. If you want your dog to put on weight and be healthy ditch the dog roll and the mighty mix and buy a good quality super premium dry food such as Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, Nutrience or Artemis and also give your dog some meat and bones, chicken carcasses and wings, lamb flap and brisket bones are excellent. A can of mackerel or sardines once week, the occasional raw egg and some cooked liver are excellent additions.

ETA the super premium foods are more expensive, but you'll feed much less because the ingredients are better quality and better digested by the dog. You will also pick up less poo as the cereal content in cheap kibble passes straight through your dog and out the other end.

Edited by Miranda

the mighty mix stuff is what my mate from the spca gave me for him so i assume its decent stuff..

Have you read the ingredients? I've actually never heard of Mighty Mix biscuits. I've just noticed that you say the SPCA, are you in the U.S.?

Sorry forget that I see you're in N.Z.

Edited by Miranda

the mighty mix stuff is what my mate from the spca gave me for him so i assume its decent stuff..

Have you read the ingredients? I've actually never heard of Mighty Mix biscuits. I've just noticed that you say the SPCA, are you in the U.S.?

it says there is some cereal in it but it has lots of meat products in it..

The thing is that if you're feeding a diet full of cereals you're also feeding a lot of fibre which fills the dog up, but doesn't supply much in the way of nutrients. Your dog is probably feeling tight because he's getting way too much fibre which is bloating his stomach so much that he just can't eat any more. Dogs aren't designed to eat large amounts of cereal, they're a carnivore and have a carnivore's GI tract.

Edited by Miranda

thanks for that i will keep an eye on him and monitor the effect of the mighty mix cos its only just new in his diet so will see if it settles down

it says there is some cereal in it but it has lots of meat products in it..

If the first ingredient is a cereal and it contains wheat, corn or soy and meat by-products it's not a high quality food.

What is Mighty Mix? If you don't know what it is then don't assume it to be better than what it is. Can't imagine them feeding premium quality in the spca.

You have been given great advice above and you and your dog would benefit greatly to consider it.

Mine are all raw fed with some Eagle Pack wholistic while growing.

Why not google dog food and see for yourself what products are to be avoided, you will be surprised what you learn is in cheap dog foods.

There has been a lot of topics on dog food in these forums, if you do a search you will find heaps of advise on feeding dogs in here.

Good luck with your dog.

Mighty Mix

MIGHTY MIX DOG FOOD PRODUCTS

Mighty Mix

Natural & Wholesome

Healthy Food for Healthy Dogs

HOME ABOUT PRODUCTS TESTIMONIALS WHERE TO BUY MERCHANDISE EREWHON STATION RELIEF FUND CONTACT

Biscuit Range - Large Dog Formula

Mighty Mix Large Dog Formula Biscuit

INGREDIENTS:

wholegrain cereal ● meat & fats (mutton. beef & pork)

omega 3, 6 & 9 ● cold pressed flaxseed flour

eggs ● green lipped mussels ● kelp ● garlic

honey and apple cidar vinegar ● vitamins & minerals

Mighty Mix Large Dog Formula is specially formulated to meet AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) nutrition standards that provide a complete balanced diet for all life stages of your dog.

Dry Matter 23% minimum crude protein, maximum fat 13%, Energy value 3.50kcals/gram.

PRODUCT RANGE

20kg 10kg 5kg

RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE

20kg bag $77

10kg bag $45

5kg bag $30

Mighty Mix Large Dog Formula is natural and wholesome with no artificial preservatives or colours. Enhanced with superior quality essential proteins to promote optimum health.

Mighty Mix Station Biscuit is a large rectangle biscuit enhanced with extra meats providing excellent protein, energy, vitamins and minerals for the hard working active adult dog. Plus, as a result of the hardened biscuit your dogs teeth are cleaner promoting healthier teeth and fresher breath.

No compromise on quality

Mighty Mix Dog Food Products undertake extensive product and feeding trials, and insist on the highest standards of quality control. We use only the best natural ingredients to ensure a premium dog food product with the best nutrition and a great taste your dog will love!

The health food products in the mighty mix process play an important role in producing necessary energy dogs require to with-stand such gruelling conditions. Christine believes the green lipped mussels help to increase joint mobility and strengthening cartilage while the immune system are boosted by the garlic, apple cider vinegar, honey, kelp, omega 3, 6 and 9 cold pressed flax seed flour, while the whole grain cereal condition the bowel. By using only superior quality essential proteins from eggs and meat including Mutton, beef and pork, which help repair muscle damage. This gives the dogs the ability to recover quickly from their strenuous work.

IDEAL for Farm dogs, Show Dogs, Active Pet Dogs, Large Breeds

with this advanced nutrition your dog will enjoy

AN INCREASE IN ENERGY & VITALITY ● SHINY COAT

BRIGHT EYES ● STRONGER TEETH & BONES

STRONGER IMMUNE SYSTEM ● SUPERIOR JOINT MOBILITY

FEEDING GUIDE - PER DAY

Maintenance Diet

DOG SIZE BISCUITS

40kg Large 6

25kg Average 4

10kg Small 2

Heavy Workload / Active Dog

DOG SIZE BISCUITS

40kg Large 9

25kg Average 6

10kg Small 3

If this is what your talking about then I wouldn't be feeding too much of it.

40kg - 6 biscuits per day...is this the same stuff that you gave 13 in the am and 14 in the pm? if so then I would say - yep - over done it..dog would be bloated.

This is the stuff i am feeding him..

STAMINIA BISCUIT - 20KG

$88.00

Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit is a premium dry food in matchbox size morsels with a great taste your dog will love!

This break through product has been specially formulated, using many of the carefully selected top quality natural ingredients already found in Mighty Mix Frozen Concentrate dog food - concentrated meats and seafood.

Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit provides the highest quality protein sources and vitamins and minerals - essential for sustaining energy and promoting a long and healthy life for your dog.

With the advanced nutrition of Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit your dog will enjoy:

AN INCREASE IN ENERGY & VITALITY

SHINY COAT

BRIGHT EYES

STRONGER TEETH & BONES

STRONGER IMMUNE SYSTEM

Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit is low in bulk and high in energy and are ideal for all dogs - from farm dogs, show dogs, the bitch in whelp (prior to and after giving birth), to young dogs, puppies and the old retired family pet.

Mighty Mix Dog Food uses a selection of highly concentrated dried natural foods (proudly made in New Zealand, specially formulated to provide a complete nutrition.

Typical Anaylsis:

Protien 23%

Fat 13%

Ingredients as Listed:

Granulated Meats & Fats - Beef, Chicken, Mutton, Pork, Wholegrain Cereals, Vitamins & Minerals, Green Lipped Mussels, Kelp, Garlic, Eggs, Omega 3, 6 & 9, Cold-Pressed Flax Seed Flour. Preservative free. Holistic approach to raw ingredients.

Hows that for a Dog Biscuit !!!

Feeding Guide Only:

Puppies - to self feed,

Small Dog 6 - 9 biscuits,

Medium Dog 12 -18 biscuits,

Large dog 18 - 27 biscuits, per day

STAMINIA BISCUIT - 20KG

$88.00

Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit is a premium dry food in matchbox size morsels with a great taste your dog will love!

This break through product has been specially formulated, using many of the carefully selected top quality natural ingredients already found in Mighty Mix Frozen Concentrate dog food - concentrated meats and seafood.

Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit provides the highest quality protein sources and vitamins and minerals - essential for sustaining energy and promoting a long and healthy life for your dog.

With the advanced nutrition of Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit your dog will enjoy:

AN INCREASE IN ENERGY & VITALITY

SHINY COAT

BRIGHT EYES

STRONGER TEETH & BONES

STRONGER IMMUNE SYSTEM

Mighty Mix Stamina Biscuit is low in bulk and high in energy and are ideal for all dogs - from farm dogs, show dogs, the bitch in whelp (prior to and after giving birth), to young dogs, puppies and the old retired family pet.

Mighty Mix Dog Food uses a selection of highly concentrated dried natural foods (proudly made in New Zealand, specially formulated to provide a complete nutrition.

Typical Anaylsis:

Protien 23%

Fat 13%

Ingredients as Listed:

Granulated Meats & Fats - Beef, Chicken, Mutton, Pork, Wholegrain Cereals, Vitamins & Minerals, Green Lipped Mussels, Kelp, Garlic, Eggs, Omega 3, 6 & 9, Cold-Pressed Flax Seed Flour. Preservative free. Holistic approach to raw ingredients.

Hows that for a Dog Biscuit !!!

Feeding Guide Only:

Puppies - to self feed,

Small Dog 6 - 9 biscuits,

Medium Dog 12 -18 biscuits,

Large dog 18 - 27 biscuits, per day

Hi Toolz

There are alot of kiwis that recommend the mighty mix that you are talking about.

How old is he.

Sounds like he is getting a heck of alot to eat. if he is getting that amount.

a kg of dog roll???

so long as he doesnt get a real bloated look to him or gets very uncomfortable i would suggest just starving him for the next meal at least the next meal. It wont do him any harm what so ever. or at least give him a couple of biscuits if you dont feel happy that he doesnt get a meal. it does sound like his gut may need a good rest.

What have his stools been like. Have they been hard or has he been constitpated lately or are they a good consistancy.

I feed all my dogs twice a day and about once a month they miss a meal time

Do be careful with the amount you do feed.

STAMINIA BISCUIT - 20KG

Hi Toolz

There are alot of kiwis that recommend the mighty mix that you are talking about.

How old is he.

Sounds like he is getting a heck of alot to eat. if he is getting that amount.

a kg of dog roll???

so long as he doesnt get a real bloated look to him or gets very uncomfortable i would suggest just starving him for the next meal at least the next meal. It wont do him any harm what so ever. or at least give him a couple of biscuits if you dont feel happy that he doesnt get a meal. it does sound like his gut may need a good rest.

What have his stools been like. Have they been hard or has he been constitpated lately or are they a good consistancy.

I feed all my dogs twice a day and about once a month they miss a meal time

Do be careful with the amount you do feed.

he is coming up 3

yeah im going to miss his next meal and see how he goes.. his stool is ok actually..

im going to cut back on the amount i give him. i am going to reduce him back to 750 gms of meat and only 1cup of kibble and 10 m mix in the morning and 1 cup kibble and 10 m mix in the arvo

That's still a huge amount of food for a dog to digest. Even at their very busiest, fittest stages of life, my St Bernards (who were athletic, not "plod arounds") were on a max of 6 cups - say 600 grams of premium dry food. A bit of variety would be sardines, eggs, veges, fruit, a little fresh meat (under 100 grams).

It really is all about the quality of ingredients as well as calories, fat content and palatability.

Better to use more in the way of raw meat, carcasses and a veg slop that to use that volume of cereal based dry food.

Coat, skin, eyes, muscle tone will all reflect in the diet. Well worth trying a more digestible regime for a month and then comparing results.

If his tummy doesn't go down - or if it sounds hollow when tapped and he salivates or is clearly uncomfortable then a vet visit may be required.

Good luck with him.

Sags

Just a thought, would the 27 biscuits of that food be for a complete diet for the day? Any you are adding all the others into the diet as well?

That was my thought!!

That number of biscuits would indeed be a day's rations... judging by the ingredient list.

Poor dog is trying to digest and store a couple of day's worth of food each meal :laugh:

I'd be worried about bloat/torsion with such an overloaded stomach.

You would be better feeding him 3 or 4 times a day... MUCH smaller quantities, perhaps.