Molly Keeps Escaping The Laundry

kitty

close the door when you are not home :)

is she getting a run inside or outside? bit nippy for a little cocker outside. How much time does she spend with you when you are home about the house?

Do you mean it's a bit too cold? It's been 25 degrees each day in Brissy so it's not really cold here yet...

To the OP - if I was able I would let her have outside access as well as inside. When Daisy was a pup I sectioned off part of the back deck for her so she had inside and outside access and she loved it.

Edited by huski

Do you not have a backyard??

How much time does pup spend outside being a dog??

I agree with others dont get confused with Sep anxiety.Its over used to much these days & true sep anxiety is your worse nightmare.

Just remember pup is spending alot of time in the laundry given that it also sleeps there.

You may think its a nice place but that is where pup is spending all its time.Escaping & venturing off is more fun & interesting.

Gundogs are tough little critters

we do have a backyard - but we also have another dog, and they're not totally trusted together yet.

Pup spends quite a bit of time outside, and has several hours a day having access to both, and i spend time with her outside when i get home.

I think i used sep anxiety as a bit of an exaggeration... i didn't mean it in those terms....

Molly doesn't actually spend THAT much time in the laundry... maybe 6 hours max. Then she is out with us, or outside, and she sleeps in her crate next to our bed.

We will get the outdoor run this weekend. We WOULD have a perfect set up if the side of the house wasn't all stones and no grass.... when you go out the external door off the laundry, the side of our house is separately fenced and gated, and would be great for her to have inside and outside access, but those stones are not nice!!!

Edited by kitty

Kitty, is the 'fencing' you have put on the child gate a trellis type? If so, she could be using it to climb out (lots of little rungs on a ladder for her!)

Try putting some of your (worn) clothes in teh laundry with her, so she has your smell close to her. She may even feel better with the internal door shut. With it open, she can see that lovely house to explore, and possibly also thinks to are still in it so comes to find you.

BMP - yep it is..... so that's obviously what's happening.

I have given her my old school jersey that needs a wash on her first night, that's in her crate just to keep her happy.

I came home at lunch time, and she was happily (and quietly) dozing in her crate..... :thumbsup:

I let the other dog inside first, patted our cat (so she still feels loved after our new addition) and let Molly out, she got a pat, walked out the back, did a wee, came back inside, walked outside again and did her other business then had some supervised yard play with our other dog while i was sitting out the back. All in all a good day, and it put me in a FANTASTIC mood to see that she was doing better.

We shut the internal door and left the external one open.... a lot louder for the neighbours for her crazy crying, but much better for her.

Now the OH and i have both taken tomorrow off (not for the puppy, it was organised ages ago). So far so good (i hope) We'll get the run set up tomorrow, the OH's brother suggested we get some star pickets and fencing and make a more solid more permanent bigger run for her, so that's another option. We're going to put a half-roof on it and secure some shadecloth so it's half shaded, and half open.

i swear i've never heard of an escape artist cocker.... :thumbsup:

Our first cocker could climb 6ft fences, we never found a yard that could keep her in. Lucky for us she never went anywhere. Once out Dasiy would just sleep on the front door step or in the car if the window was open....

The only time that we know of her going anywhere was when we were away once and she went round to all of our friends places, no doubt looking for her family but was still home in time for the guy across the road to feed her.

Now the OH and i have both taken tomorrow off (not for the puppy, it was organised ages ago). So far so good (i hope) We'll get the run set up tomorrow, the OH's brother suggested we get some star pickets and fencing and make a more solid more permanent bigger run for her, so that's another option. We're going to put a half-roof on it and secure some shadecloth so it's half shaded, and half open.

When you build her permanent run make sure that you use good materials and make it really secure. Whatever you do don't use bird wire as it's just not strong enough and will eventually give way if she jumps up at it. I always use ARC Weldmesh fencing, it's strong, looks good and lasts for years and years.

When you build her permanent run make sure that you use good materials and make it really secure. Whatever you do don't use bird wire as it's just not strong enough and will eventually give way if she jumps up at it. I always use ARC Weldmesh fencing, it's strong, looks good and lasts for years and years.

:laugh:

and make sure there is NO way she can dig out, or climb over!!!. I mean by that- HIGH fence/roof.. and either a floor, or netting buried underground.

It is NOt overkill.. as only one experience of doing either will teach her that it is all possible- and she will try harder next time :)