Toilet Training Questions

craigcom

Hi all

Am new here and am a first time dog owner. We have a 9 week old Australian Terrier and are enjoying the little fella's presence in our busy home. I have 4 kids, 3 boys 7, 6 and 4 and a little girl 19 months. All is going as can be expected but I have a few questions.

Toilet training is trying to say the least. I will list some details to give you an idea of our setup.

Ozzie has a crate inside the family room where he sleeps at night with the door closed. I get up at 4am to take him outside where he will do a poo or 2 and a wee. He goes outside before I go to bed which is usually around 10:30 to 11pm. He has a big meal at 7pm. The crate door stays open all day and this is where he will go to have a sleep.

If my wife has to go out then he is placed on the pergola where he also has a kennel.

We have a dog door which he has no problems using but my wife will lock it if she is going to be out.

She finds it really hard to watch the dog when at home and so accidents do happen.

We have a spot under a large shrub where we take Ozzie to the toilet and he generally wees there most of the time as well as poos. He is rewarded most of the time when this occurs. However, it seems that when he is in the house with us, which is really only the family room (slate floor), that he is still having accidents in the house. I have caught him numerous times and have clapped and loadly said "No" which stops him and then I proceed to carry him out to the toilet area outside where he will finish.

I cannot figure out why he doesn't use the dog door and go outside himself. The other day one of the kids had locked the dog door by mistake and Ozzie couldn't get inside but I noticed that he ran down to the toilet area and had a pee which was fantastic. Just why doesn't he go there when inside. He knows we get upset when he goes inside! Sometimes he just goes on the paved area of the back yard which is halfway to the toilet area.

I know he is a youngin and is still learning but does anyone have some groundbreaking ideas?

I cannot figure out why he doesn't use the dog door and go outside himself.

Because he's a baby- and gets easily distracted, and when he has to go- he goes .

you have little kids- did they make mistakes when toilet training? Bet they did ! :o

He knows we get upset when he goes inside!

Which is NOT a practice to be continued.... he is a very small pup.. and large human figures making loud noises are very scary :) He may, if fearful of the noise etc.. start making more mistakes inside .

he is NOT toileting inside on purpose- so why would you be cross???

It is up to you to see that he is outside when he needs to go. As he grows, his control and knowledge will let him do it himself... now he needs your help.

Because he's far too young, you are expecting way too much of a baby puppy :) Please don't get upset if your puppy makes a mistake inside, he isn't being naughty he just can't help it, a nine week old puppy has little control over his bladder and when he's gotta go it just happens. Keep a rolled up newspaper handy and if your puppy makes a mistake inside the house hit YOURSELF over the head with it because it's your fault not his, you aren't watching him carefully enough. If you cannot supervise the puppy while he's inside always keep him in his crate. Take your puppy outside after meals, after playing and about every 3/4 hour in between, wait until he does a wee or a poo and then give him lots and lots of praise. Patience and persistence are the key to successful toilet training, but at 9 weeks I'd say he's doing very well.

One possiblity is that he finds using the dog door a bit challenging. Try propping the dog door open and see if access without having to use the flap makes any difference.

When you want to encourage your dog to go outside, removing any barriers that discourage it is worth a try.

I expect (as most pups do) that his confidence using the dog door will grow but until he's barrelling through it, it might be best to take him regularly to the door and encourage him to use it to go outside. :)

Because he's far too young, you are expecting way too much of a baby puppy :happydance2: Please don't get upset if your puppy makes a mistake inside, he isn't being naughty he just can't help it, a nine week old puppy has little control over his bladder and when he's gotta go it just happens. Keep a rolled up newspaper handy and if your puppy makes a mistake inside the house hit YOURSELF over the head with it because it's your fault not his, you aren't watching him carefully enough. If you cannot supervise the puppy while he's inside always keep him in his crate. Take your puppy outside after meals, after playing and about every 3/4 hour in between, wait until he does a wee or a poo and then give him lots and lots of praise. Patience and persistence are the key to successful toilet training, but at 9 weeks I'd say he's doing very well.

I agree with Miranda.. the puppy is still a baby.. (aww... i bet he is a cutie!)

I know you got a busy household.. but yeah, just keep a eye on him. take him out after his meal, after he wakes up and after play time. He will finally catch on, although he does seem he knows what he is suppose to do or not.. just too young to fully control his bladder.

My mum said toilet training a dog is sooo much easier potty train a kid... LOL... it just takes time.

Also consider the issue with locking the doggy door.

In our house the doggy door is open 24/7 BUT if we have to shut the door its never the doggy door but the other door.

You want your pup to use the ddor but at the same time it is also locked.Very confusing for a 9 week old pup where a routine is so important.

Many dog doors are very heavy & solid.Alot of dogs hate these as they cant see the other side.Its also hard on young pups.

Our door is clear vinyl so everyone can see the outside whether it be night or day.

Also some of the heavy doors can hit them hard & frighten them.

If you have a heavy door i would suggest swapping to a heavy plastic or occy strapping the door up until the pup has a good grasp & then lowering the door.

Sometimes what we expect isnt reality & training is about making it easy not hard.

I found things improved for us when I called my dog outside to do a wee, rather than pick her up and carry her out there. Once this happened a few times, it seemed to click that she can go out there at any time and she no longer relied on me to take her up the back yard. Your pup is very young and I would agree with others saying that you are expecting a bit too much at this stage. You could very well have a little while yet ahead of you with the whole toileting business..... some do it sooner, others do it later. Good luck, and I know its frustrating. Keep the harshness out of your voice where possible, and concentrate on praising when things go good. If accidents happen inside, it tends to be more human error than anything the dog is doing wrong.

Mr Fluffy only stopped having weeing accidents at about 3 months.

He will still poop inside occasionally but thats only if he cant get out. And at least now he does it on a solid surface or the newspaper I leave out for him in the bathroom.

Give it time. You can only expect him to go outside if there is a way out. And you can only expect him to go outside when he actually knows that he needs to pee/pooh.. So might be a little bit yet.

I began to notice the toileting situation improved when Mr Fluffy didnt toilet in the bathroom over night. Bladder control began maybe??

Goodluck. It takes patients but you will get there... Your pup knows the idea.. Just wait for his bladder to catch up :mad

Edited by bobchic

Welcome to the Forum Craigcom!

You might try restricting the pup to an area like a play pen if you don't want to get accidents in the wrong place when he is inside.

A pup's brain isn't fully developed until they are about 16weeks so you are dealing pretty much with basic instincts so you have to do all the 'thinking' for the pup. Don't get me wrong, they learn a lot at his age but are just not reliable and can easily learn what you don't want them to depending on how you manage the situation. Consistency and patience is what is needed.

Aussies can be a bit difficult to toilet train but you are actually doing very well for a 9wk old pup.

Welcome to the Forum Craigcom!

You might try restricting the pup to an area like a play pen if you don't want to get accidents in the wrong place when he is inside.

A pup's brain isn't fully developed until they are about 16weeks so you are dealing pretty much with basic instincts so you have to do all the 'thinking' for the pup. Don't get me wrong, they learn a lot at his age but are just not reliable and can easily learn what you don't want them to depending on how you manage the situation. Consistency and patience is what is needed.

Aussies can be a bit difficult to toilet train but you are actually doing very well for a 9wk old pup.

Good advice. I was going to add - I've found the 'umbilical cord' method good - especially when there's a busy adult. the pup is tethered to the adult on a longish line if they're not in their crate or pen. They just mooch around with you - have some freedom, but not too much, and you can't really forget them - so you're more likely to take them outside regularly.

Interrupting an accident is fine - just don't be too stern - a little 'Uh-uh' is usually enough. Otherwise, if you haven't been there - don't get upset - just clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner or vinegar, and remind yourself to pay more attention :) .

It does take a while for some pups to get the idea of going outside when they need to go, or of telling you. My BC boy - it was probably 4 months before he was anything like reliable.

Good on you for praising the little pup whenever he toilets outside. That definitely helps.