Bleeding Willy!

Settrlvr, if it is a case similar to your own dog (bursting blood vessels) would you say that the humping is what is causing the issue in this case? I knw he also does a lot of cleaning himself as well but this issue has obviously only happened since James, and the humping, has been happening.

I am the sister btw.. :laugh:

James doesn't hump at home... from what I can gather, James initiates play which Charlie reads as something else and there is when the humping starts... Montage has been separating them and also picks the moments BEFORE and deters Charlie, when she is watching... however it's when she isn't looking and the opportunity arises that it starts.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Settrlvr, if it is a case similar to your own dog (bursting blood vessels) would you say that the humping is what is causing the issue in this case? I knw he also does a lot of cleaning himself as well but this issue has obviously only happened since James, and the humping, has been happening.

In my boys case he never hump BUT because the girls where in heat he was obviously more aware of his equipment.

His licking was his issue the more he licked the more it caused issues.We where told by the repo vet that if he had a mating that the erection would cause the blood vessels to burst more & whilst it wouldnt harm him we would have to be very aware of changes because the more that burst the longer it takes to heal & obviously semen with blood in it isnt ideal.

The problem i found when this happened was wehn he urinated it obviously would sting so he would then try to lick to soothe the sting but make the issue worse.

He had 2 chronic cases where he needed injections to nock it off but his where at the top of the scale.

I found in his case the signs where easy to tell.

Coat change was the first sign,he would get alot of undercoat & it looked crap,not soft/silky.

I would have to bath his area am/pm to wash the pee off but not using shampoo/con as this would irritate it .His penis would swell & be very red so i would also pop him out to check(pays to now your dog pee pee :thumbsup: )

The cleaner it was the happier he was & the quicker it healed.A right royal pain with long coats but just dunking the penis in water helped greatly(just tie the hair up & dunk).

I did spray not on but near crappy stuff to stop him licking & it worked but maintenance was the key.

The humping i worry more about doing there backs in plus its a right royal pain.

Did you wash James before he went.He may smell off your girl

Did you wash James before he went.He may smell off your girl

Very good point!

I was lax in bathing my little Norwich after she had her first season and wasn't sure why all the dogs were still after her until this was pointed out to me :thumbsup:

That is a REALLY good point...hadn't thought of that!

settrlvr - I like you am cleaning around the area constantly....can't have him lose his belly hair! The blood sticks and it's pretty feral, so have been spraying with water around there. Hope that it helps to heal it more quickly by keeping it clean. He does still lick a lot...but he always has.

I would say the humping only happens 20% of the time...they are pretty mellow most of the time, but it's when they are outside playing that it goes a bit nuts....James has started humping back though! It just looks like they are having fun - there is never any real agro!

Edited by MyMontage

Thanks so much for your help. Yes the humping is still a major issue but i trust that MM has been doing everything she can to stop it... Char is very persistent!!

Good point about the bathing... he did get a feather wash but not an all over bath so that might have been the issue there...

I am picking up James today as it looks as though bitch has finished so hopefully it will help Charlie heal quicker.

Thanks again for everyone who helped with the bleeding issue!

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread as I've had a similar problem to what was mentioned in the original post and wondering if anyone can offer some advice?

My dog has a 'favourite' teddy which he sometimes humps. Usually we either ignore and give no attention until he stops, or, if he gets too carried away with it (ie, it goes on for more than a minute or so) I will take it away from him.

Anyway, the night before last I caught him under my desk with teddy so took it off of him but noticed some bright red spots of blood on it. Checked my dog and sure enough he also had a small amount blood around his bits. I went into a bit of a panic, but OH seemed to think he had probably just got carried away and had caused a little tear in the skin.

I checked him out thoroughly and couldn't find any damage. I've also been watching him like a hawk since. No more blood, doesn't seem to be in any pain, he is peeing without any problems and there is no blood in the urine. All seems to be okay but am debating if it's still worth going into the vet for a check-up on Tuesday... (long weekend here)

A bit more info, Kei is still entire but will be desexed between 15-18 months as per breeder contract. (currently 8 months old now) And teddy has been washed and put away in the cupboard for the fore-seeable future :shrug:

Bad habit- stop him every time you see it...same as jumping up, or nipping, or any other similar behaviour.

Don't provide objects which may trigger the urge (fluffy toys, pillows, etc).Plenty of exercise,and stuff to chew...

i

Bad habit- stop him every time you see it...same as jumping up, or nipping, or any other similar behaviour.

Don't provide objects which may trigger the urge (fluffy toys, pillows, etc).Plenty of exercise,and stuff to chew...

i

Thanks persephone. Have taken the toy away from him (it's the only one he does it with). He gets plenty of exercise, training, Kongs etc. to keep him busy so no probs there. The humping only ever seems to happen on a night after dinner.. bad habbit maybe :shrug:

Hopefully not having the toy in sight will solve the problem :laugh: