Please Help Me Choose A Camera!

~Aimee~

I've done a search but I can only find old threads and the info isn't up to date.

Can anyone help me choose a digital SLR camera for a beginner. I've got a budget of about $1000.

Some people have suggested either the Canon 450D or the Nikon D40. Are these cameras good? Which is better?

I am getting confused as there seems to be so mny different types of each camera e.g. Canon 450D, 500D, 1000D and Nikon D40, D40x, D60, D80. Help! What's the difference?

I want something that will be easy to use!

You can't go too wrong with either Canon or Nikon as they both make very nice cameras. If you can, head in to a local camera shop and hold them both, try em both out and see if one feels particularly better to you. Both companies make great glass and the third party people (Sigma, Tokina etc) support them both.

I adore the Canon 450 (or even the 400) as it's a powerhouse for a good price and capable of keeping you learning for ages. You might also check some used models like the 30D or 40D ... there are some good deals to be had on those. I have two 40Ds and love them. I don't use Nikon and get their model numbers mixed up, but they have a range of choices, too. Their newest offerings are leaps and bounds ahead of their older offerings in terms of high ISO and low light capabilities, so I would probably head to those instead of something that was two or three models back (the Canon you can go back to the 20D and still get very workable ISO800 and above).

Nikon has one range that doesn't work with all of their glass - something about the AF system...you'll need a Nikon user to weigh in on that. It's not a huge deal, just something you need to know before you buy that model. The body itself is still good.

Here in Australia and working on my own experience and that of three friends who last year had to send various and sundry gear in to our manufacturers...Canon still whips Nikon on service. One of my friends had his camera back to Nikon 3 times for a total of 8 months and they still didn't fix the problem properly. It can happen to any manufacturer and any body/lens, I know, but the it's the same thing I was hearing when I first moved to DSLR a few years ago and it was the shove that pushed me to Canon though at that time I had far more friends shooting Nik. Maybe not a deal breaker, but just another tidbit.

Almost all of the models have a P mode and a green box mode. These are your "point and shoot" modes and they work very well in quite a few shooting circumstances. They all have the ability for you to move on to aperture priority, shutter priority and full manual, too. So you don't need to feel overwhelmed when you first start, but you can also experiment and try new things easily.

That's not much help, I know! But I say, find a price you like on one of the models on your short list and go for it...there's really no *bad* choice.

I have the Nikon D80, I love it, and havent had any problems with it so far. I think if you go with Canon or Nikon, you wont go wrong, have you been to a camera shop and held both brands to see which one feels better in your hand?? I know this probly sounds silly but it can be a deciding factor if you are having trouble deciding. My friend just bought a Canon 450 D for $1250 and I think the equivallent in Nikon is the D90

Google dpreview and have a look at the reviews.

Ps I just love you signature, did you do it yourself??

I would definitely check out this site. It's great, very simple and you learn a lot.

I have a Nikon D50 which I bought second hand with the twin kit lenses and I really can't fault it as a beginner camera. There are really so many options and it's becoming very difficult to go wrong with whatever you choose. Canon and Nikon are highly recommended of course, but you can also speak to many happy Pentax and Sony owners.

Thanks for your replies!

I am leaning towards a Canon 450D. what does everyone think of these? Also what lenses would you recommend to go with it? Would a twin lens kit be ok or would i need something different?

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the lenses?

I haven't been into a camera shop yet but i will go in either today or tomorrow.

tlc, thanks for the comments on my signature. I love it too! A friend made it for me as i have no idea how to make signatures!

Love the 450, can't go wrong.

The kit lenses will get you started no problem. If you find a good deal with the body and kit lens/lenses go for it. The 18-55 is a particularly good kit lens.

Like many people will tell you, i'm sure, it all comes down to how the camera feels in your hands, so research a few model numbers, write them down, then go to a shop and try them out.

One piece of advice though - do yourself a favour and choose a model with separate dials for aperture and shutter speed, especially since many lenses that come with the kits don't have an aperture ring for manual adjustment. This might mean ruling out most (if not all) entry-level bodies, but will still leave the entire Nikon mid-range (D70, D70s, D80, D90) and some Canon mid-range ones. I was quite surprised to try a Canon mid-range camera a few years back (can't remember the exact model) that only had the one dial, the inconvenience of it shat me to no end i almost smashed it to the ground :rolleyes: . It might be just me, but i think it's much easier to learn on two dials (as i did, with my entry-level Nikon film F55).

Good luck and happy shopping. :laugh:

I own a D80 and love it. Depending on budget the kits will choose the lens for you. I'd definitely start with the 18-55 and 55-200 to get good range, but it may be better to get the 18-200 instead to stop changing the lenses over when you need the zoom.

The D200 is coming down in price now too and you can get some pretty good deals.

I was torn between the D80 and some Canon camera and it wasnt really until I held them in my hands that was my mind made up.

I have bought new lenses since the original purchase, as have most here, and depends on what you will shoot, your cashflow and how into it you go.

The D40/D60 was a no-no for me due to the incompatability with older lenses (which go cheaper in the 2nd hand market and still do great photos!

I also got mine from d-d-photographics and einfotech which are importers, same camera / lenses etc but you don't pay stupid Australian prices... still covered by warranty and would still go to Nikon in Sydney if there was an issue.

Good luck in your search

Andrew