Puppy Going Bald

ETA I'm only asking because I'm shocked that a breeder who also shows could keep her dogs in disgusting conditions.

Unfortunately, being a registered breeder doesn't automatically assume clean and hygenic living conditions.....for human or animal. My son collected an ex-show dog from a registered breeder, he was buying it as a pet. His description of the house he collected the dog from "Like a third world country, mum, it was absolutely disgusting!"

And this is from a young man who used to think cleaning a room meant kicking the dirty clothes under the bed.

I'd be extremely unhappy having a baby puppy (and such a young one!) on antibiotics without a proper diagnosis. I have a 2yo dog on antibiotics at the moment, for a diagnosed skin condition, and I am appalled at the change in his manner. He's gone from a gorgeous, bouncy, ready-for-anything dog to a flat, listless, don't-wanna-even-go-for-a-walk fella. I can't wait til this course of meds is finished with and I have my boy back.

I will second / third / fourth a skin scrape, sticky tape test and at least an examination with a Woods Lamp (will only pick up 50% of cases of ringworm - but it's a start).

Edit to add: The antibiotics and Malaseb washes may well cover most common bases, but having a diagnosis is always preferable, particularly in cases where there are implications for general management - such as zoonosis or environmental contamination.

Edited by Rappie