Ticks

Sonic

I did post this in the pinned Tick post above but haven't had any replies so was hoping I might get some here.

Just had a girl from work say that her dog picked up a paralysis tick in the Loch Sport area of Victoria (Gippsland) 2 weeks ago. Some friends and I are travelling to Gippsland in a couple of weeks for one week with our dogs.

What would you recommend we use on our dogs for a one week stay? Frontline Plus 48 hours prior to the trip has been recommended. Is this sufficient?

I've been fortunate enough to not have been in a position where ticks have been likely or occurred, so I'm afraid I'm not the expert to give you the advice you seek. But in the interim of someone coming to your thread with their knowledge and/or experience, you might like to read the link on Paralysis Tick Poisoning - prevention for some information that might help you.

I'm interested in the Permoxin rinse and the fact you can give your dog a spray (and re-spray) if you feel you're going in to 'tick-happy' terrain. But I'm not sure how it stacks up against the other preventatives (ie whether its chemical component is kinder to the dog, or conversely, more harsh).

Frontline plus top spot 2 days before arrival....... You could also give proban tablets every second day 1tab per 10kg whlie you are away it is safe to use with frontline. You MUST still check the dog everyday, twice a day as nothing is 100% effective.