What The Best Way To Do It?

Kirislin

I took some pics for a woman at out whippet day and she's sending me a USB stick to put them on.

I shot in RAW but have since converted them to jpeg. I still have the RAW files as well though. I've never used a USB stick so not sure what happens. Do I put both types of pics on it so she can fiddle with the RAW ones herself if she wants? Can you even put RAW files on a USB stick. I have no idea. Help!

Edited by Kirislin

If a USB stick just acts like an external hard drive then you should be able to put any files

on there providing there is the capacity to hold them. You need to find out how many gig

the stick is (how much storage space it has left). I am used to using external hard drives

all the time but don't think I have ever used a 'stick'.

If I need to send files somewhere I normally use email - or for larger quantities or large

files Id burn it to a cd or dvd.

Edited by chezzyr

Thanks Chezzyr and Luke W. Next question is about copyright. I am happy to allow this person to use the pics on her website to advertise her product if she wishes, I have't asked for payment but I'd like her to credit me as the photographer and I also want to be able to use the pics as I please. I am not giving her permission to sell the pics, I doubt very much that anyone would want them anyway. If I tell her that is it enough?

Thanks Chezzyr and Luke W. Next question is about copyright. I am happy to allow this person to use the pics on her website to advertise her product if she wishes, I have't asked for payment but I'd like her to credit me as the photographer and I also want to be able to use the pics as I please. I am not giving her permission to sell the pics, I doubt very much that anyone would want them anyway. If I tell her that is it enough?

I'm not a lawyer :happydance2:

You could put the terms in an email and specify:

"By use of these images - you agree to the following terms:

- You are granted non-exclusive rights to personal and private use of the images in the format they are provided.

- You may not alter the images in any way.

- Commercial use is restricted to:

- - - Use on a single domain website

- Images published (whether in prints, electronic or any other media) must be accompanied by the following clearly readable text: "© Copyright - Photograph(s) by Luke Wilby"

Further usage rights are negotiable."

Ask her to reply to the email - agreeing to the terms.

Edited by Luke W

thanks Luke. :happydance2:

the only thing is I will allow her to alter them if she needs to as she might want to remove the background and/or crop them a bit, but I can probably amend what you've written a bit to allow that. I basically didn't want to find out later that she sold some prints or tried to stop me from using them if I want to....which would probably only be to put on a whippet site if anything.

Edited by Kirislin

Good summary/wording Luke :happydance2:

Kirislin: have you got reason to think she would try to stop you from using them yourself?

I would be clear on what alterations Id allow.

I had someone make some alterations on an image of mine. The alterations

were not my 'style' so I asked not to be attributed as the photographer.

Good summary/wording Luke :happydance2:

Kirislin: have you got reason to think she would try to stop you from using them yourself?

I would be clear on what alterations Id allow.

I had someone make some alterations on an image of mine. The alterations

were not my 'style' so I asked not to be attributed as the photographer.

Well, I've never done this before so I just wanted to cover myself. I didn't ask for any money but I'd be a bit annoyed if I found she made money on them. About the only people who might want copies would be the owners of the whippets I think.

Just stick your name in small type on the bottom and send a smaller file. I've recently sent out a few larger than web sized files, but not huge and stuck my name in small type in the corner.

I know it's hard to imagine just how dumb I am on a computer but I dont know how to make files smaller. :love: It's OK though, I've already sent her the photos as is. I am sure it will be OK, I mean they weren't fantastic anyway. I am happy for her to use them on her website as she requested.