Diabetes Diagnosis For Older Dog

My mother's best friend lives in a small town in the USA and has an elderly poodle who has just been diagnosed with diabetes. She has been told the dog will need daily injections and she cannot cope with doing that.

My mum has asked me if I've heard of any alternatives in natural medicine that may be suitable. I have no experience of diabetes so wondered if anyone has any experience/suggestions that I can pass on.

I don't think I would be able to cope with giving injections either so any help would be much appreciated.

My mother's best friend lives in a small town in the USA and has an elderly poodle who has just been diagnosed with diabetes. She has been told the dog will need daily injections and she cannot cope with doing that.

My mum has asked me if I've heard of any alternatives in natural medicine that may be suitable. I have no experience of diabetes so wondered if anyone has any experience/suggestions that I can pass on.

I don't think I would be able to cope with giving injections either so any help would be much appreciated.

The simple answer is no, there is no natural alternative to insulin.

I'm afraid I can't help you with what you're asking for, Dogmad ..... but I will say that the giving of injections, once you've done the first and the second, becomes a matter of fact routine and you do 'get over it'.

I used to administer the cartrophen injections to my horse (not to mention penicillin when one or other of them needed it). I remember the first time - the worst was not knowing what to expect. I psyched myself up, had my horse all ready, and got a real shock with how effortlessly the needle slid in that I forgot to let go of the syringe and accidentally pulled it back out! It really is nothing - no resistance at all and nothing as horrifying as the thought might be to your Mum's friend. When you give them regularly (as you would for diabetes) it'll become no different than the routine of giving a tablet.

That probably won't help - if your Mum's friend is simply a person that can't by any stretch of the imagination come to grips with doing the first one, but on the off-chance that it will help her, please re-assure her from me that you do get used to it and it becomes a non-event.

Giving the injections does get easier as you go along, my Mums former old dog had to have these injections daily and Mum had herself all worked up over doing them ...the vet did them for the first couple of days with Mum watching then got Mum to do it while she watched... the needles are only short little ones not normal size so your Mums friend might feel better about that... Mum is now a diabetic herself and has to give herself these injections everyday in the navel ( ouch )

With the dog you just scruff the skin on the neck and pop the needle in taking care not to stick the needle into your own fingers :happydance2:

Just as an aside.... when i was in hospital i was getting these needles in the tummy everyday as a support for my kidneys until they started functioning again properly i was sooo surprised they didnt hurt at all in fact when the nurse came in each day with it in the little kidney bowl i upped the gown and waited for her to say ...all done... i wouldnt have even known she had done it otherwise :happydance:

Linda....

Giving the injections does get easier as you go along,

With the dog you just scruff the skin on the neck and pop the needle in taking care not to stick the needle into your own fingers :happydance2:

I've seen this with our niece who has a young dog with diabetes. She was appalled at first at the idea of giving injections. But when it was demonstrated to her, by the vet, she realised it was nothing like she'd imagined. So quick & easy, and the dog doesn't even seem to notice.

After doing it herself for a few times, she now has no worries at all.

My old girl had diabetes and yes it was very intimidating giving injections daily. However, my dog learnt very quickly that the injection was followed by food!!

In the mornings she would get up, walk up and sit in front of the fridge and bow her head ready for her insulin!! :D

Dogs will adapt far quicker than the owners.

If this Lady lives near the vets or a close friend or relative, maybe they could give the injections until she becomes comfortable with needles and the routine that is required living with a diabetic dog. Best of luck to her and her Poodle.