Debarking In Sydney

colcha

I would actually argue that is some cases debarking is more humane than a lot of training methods. Prior to doing my first debark it was action stations every time a dog dared to bark. Those poor dogs spent ½ their lives in time out or being squirted with water or told off etc. One simple operation and they could be normal dogs again.

Not my first port of call but until you have had a dog like Bree that barks when she is happy, playing, alerting to leaves falling off the tree, etc etc etc I don’t think you will ever understand. All I can really say is I wished I had done it years ago and so did my neighbours.

Exactly!! :laugh:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well flame suit on.

De barking is my 2nd port of call.

After a reasonable amount of time with the normal methods, if the barking does not stop off to the vet.

I just can't see why I should put the dog or myself through an intensive time trying to stop the dog barking.

Good heavens all the vet does is cauterize the vocal cords. It's a job that only takes minutes.

I would recommend it to all. Once the dog is done sanity returns.

JMHO

I doubt a well balanced, well exercised dog, barks for no reason.

my Mal did it for the sake of it. You could walk her, play with her, work her, run her ragged and if she wanted to have a woof WELL she had a woof. I am not home 24/7, she has canine company but loves running about. If sparrows have a fight WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF ha ha told you so. Kid squeals next door same thing. Someone breathes 3 blocks away WOOF WOOF HA TAKE THAT TOLD YOU SO *sigh* she's just a vocal dog. Thank christ she shuts up when she sleeps :o

E collar worked on her but if not I would have had no problem debarking. Should be allowed a little more readily in victoria but this is the NANNY STATE ... no options for you!

An elderly crippled friend of mine moved from a secluded country property into a surburban area with her three dogs. These dogs had never been 'over-the-top' barkers as there wasn't much to get them going on the farm but once in town every slight noise set them off, day and night. My friend tried a lot of different approaches that she was capable of with her reduced movement. Fortunately her Vet. understood the problem and organised for the dogs to be debarked. Happy friend and happy (alive) dogs :o

There is always a reason in the dogs eyes. My breed (Pyrenean Mountain Dogs) have been selected over generations to vocalise to warn predators they are on duty and to stay away. It is a hardwired behaviour. In the suburbs this means they can alert to the smallest noises sometimes. Some dogs are worse than others though all will bark to some extent. Citronella collars are often ineffective and they have a high pain threshold. There are ways to manage the barking (e.g. having the dog inside reduces the problem) but stopping a Pyr from barking is like trying to stop the wind from blowing. Stopping them from barking often makes them incredibly anxious and brings its own problems as the dog feels it is not able to do its job. While most cases are manageble, debarking is a definite option which makes life so much happier for the dog, owners and neighbours. The dog can still do its job, just not so loud.

my Mal did it for the sake of it. You could walk her, play with her, work her, run her ragged and if she wanted to have a woof WELL she had a woof. I am not home 24/7, she has canine company but loves running about. If sparrows have a fight WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF ha ha told you so. Kid squeals next door same thing. Someone breathes 3 blocks away WOOF WOOF HA TAKE THAT TOLD YOU SO *sigh* she's just a vocal dog. Thank christ she shuts up when she sleeps :thumbsup:

E collar worked on her but if not I would have had no problem debarking. Should be allowed a little more readily in victoria but this is the NANNY STATE ... no options for you!

I have had play barkers, everything that is fun and exciting deserves a barking soundtrack to go along with it. ;)

I have had play barkers, everything that is fun and exciting deserves a barking soundtrack to go along with it.

LOL! Forgot to mention that I have also had one dog that used to do what I called 'bliss woofing'. She would find a high spot to look over the property, close her eyes, put her head up and do this steady monotonous WOOF....WOOF.....WOOF....WOOF....WOOF. She obviously got a high from it as well as the satisfaction of letting predators know she was there. ;)

Edited by espinay2

LOL! Forgot to mention that I have also had one dog that used to do what I called 'bliss woofing'. She would find a high spot to look over the property, close her eyes, put her head up and do this steady monotonous WOOF....WOOF.....WOOF....WOOF....WOOF. She obviously got a high from it as well as the satisfaction of letting predators know she was there. ;)

Nawww how cute - bliss woofing.

Just wondering if anyone knows which Vet Clinic does de-barking in Wagga? And how much they charge?

My boy is a constant barker and there doesn't even need to be anything around, maybe just his shadow! I've even found him lying in the grass in the back yard looking up at the sky barking, at nothing! We live in a court and we have has 4 complaints about him and we are renting. Believe me, this is last resort as my OH hates this sort of stuff, but after the disgruntled neighbours, he suggested we look at it as we don't want to be evicted or annoy our neighbours any further as they have been great people.

Any information on the procedure and costing would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
LOL! Forgot to mention that I have also had one dog that used to do what I called 'bliss woofing'. She would find a high spot to look over the property, close her eyes, put her head up and do this steady monotonous WOOF....WOOF.....WOOF....WOOF....WOOF. She obviously got a high from it as well as the satisfaction of letting predators know she was there. :crossfingers:

Nawww how cute - bliss woofing.

That's one of the things my girl was doing before we got her debarked. In her case we put it down to stress though... She had some issues with trying to protect the whole property, and it was a bit beyond her, so she just barked at the sky as long and loud as she could - we think to scare intruders before they were anywhere near the property so she wouldn't have to defend it.

Just wondering if anyone knows which Vet Clinic does de-barking in Wagga? And how much they charge?

My boy is a constant barker and there doesn't even need to be anything around, maybe just his shadow! I've even found him lying in the grass in the back yard looking up at the sky barking, at nothing! We live in a court and we have has 4 complaints about him and we are renting. Believe me, this is last resort as my OH hates this sort of stuff, but after the disgruntled neighbours, he suggested we look at it as we don't want to be evicted or annoy our neighbours any further as they have been great people.

Any information on the procedure and costing would be appreciated.

We had our dog done in QLD and it was incredibly hard to find someone to do it, and they charged plenty for it. We were quoted $1100 to $1300 but were told by many NSW breeders (see much earlier in this forum) that I was ripped off and they could get it done in NSW for around $300. I got the impression that may be a breeders price because they may get it done 'in bulk' but still it's obviously a lot cheaper in NSW. In all honesty I was so at my wits end that I would have been happy to pay double what we were quoted. She is exactly the same dog, just about 1/10th the volume.

• 2 years later...

I have a beautiful dog but unfortunately spray collars and training haven't been effective in stopping her barking when we aren't home. We also have neighbors who don't talk to us about the problem but have no problem calling in the council or just recently the police. If anyone could inbox me with suggestions for vets in the Sydney area who do debarking it would be greatly appreciated as we are running out of options but definately don't want to give her up! Thanks!

Edited by becdn

I saw your post and am moved to reply.

I find it hard to imagine a dog that can outsmart a e collar.

I have a dog that outsmarted the e collar, she worked out that if she barked once, collar would beep, that she would stop for a min, this would go on until the battery went flat, once the collar stopped beeping she would go into full bark non stop, driving everyone mad including myself as she had a very high pitched bark. I am lucky though that I live on acreage in town where I was able to build a yard further down the paddock where I can only just hear her barking. She was a rescue from a pound and she probably ended in the pound as she is a chronic barker.

Guest lavendergirl

I have a beautiful dog but unfortunately spray collars and training haven't been effective in stopping her barking when we aren't home. We also have neighbors who don't talk to us about the problem but have no problem calling in the council or just recently the police. If anyone could inbox me with suggestions for vets in the Sydney area who do debarking it would be greatly appreciated as we are running out of options but definately don't want to give her up! Thanks!

Just wondering if you have tried an e-collar? This is the most effective collar I understand - better than the spray one.

I definately dont think it should be a first point of call, but it is an option with some dogs.

Many years ago (over 20) we had a sheltie - and Bec would bark literally constantly.

Was she bored ?(nope, someone home all day, Aust Champ showdog and CDX obedience - certainly mentally stimulated)

were other methods tried ?(yep, not just the owner (who had trained dozens of dogs) but multiple others as well),

what set her off ? - anything, and often nothing :) Even when she was being told off she would 'sneak' a bark, it was compulsive

In the end took her to our vet and asked him to debark her. Answer was NO. Our response was "then can you please put her down". That made him stop and think and have a discussion. We had exhausted all avenues and there was nothing left.

Reluctantly he agreed to do the op, and when we went to pick her up he said he could fully understand the decision. Apparently she just about woke up barking :D (or at least her version of it).

From that moment on she 'huffed' all day and was a different dog - happy and outgoing, never in trouble and lived another 15 years huffing away.

Have had many (and I mean many :D ) dogs before and since and never had the need to consider it. But with Bec it was a godsend

• 5 years later...

Hi I realise this is an old post however I am having big issues with my gorgeous little Maltese cross regarding her intense barking.  Does anyone have the vet details mentioned in the posts. 

Many thanks.