Debarking In Sydney

colcha

My wife and I have been having an ongoing battle with one of our neighbours in relation to our Pomeranian's barking over many years. Both the police and the council rangers have been involved numerous times and we have also been threatened with a nuisance order. Despite using an animal trainer and a bark collar, the problem is ongoing and our relationship with our neighbor is at an all time low.

We are looking for a vet who is willing to perform a debarking procedure through the dog's mouth and would really appreciate a recommendation. We live on the North Shore but would be prepared to travel to get it done by a reputable vet who has lots of experience in this area.

I understand that this is a very sensitive topic but please understand that this is very much a last resort. If you don't feel comfortable making a recommendation in this forum, please feel free to send me a private message.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vet of choice for many Canberrans is in Wollongong. If you luck out with a Sydney Recommendation, post here and I'll get the contact details.

After op care is important. Your dog will need to be kept quiet for the op to work really well.

Hi colcha,

There is a very good vet in Hills District who will debark but you need a stat dec and any copies of reports from council or the police would be a good idea.

I'll ask around to get the clinic details for you.

I suppose that I shall get shot down in flames but here goes.

Maybe we should be "Lobbying" to get this procedure made fully legal.

Just stop for a minute and think. No more neighbor disputes, no more council

visits, no more punch ups over barking dogs. Also, remember the case where a

person died after a dispute over a dog.

It's a simple procedure down the throat and takes only a few minutes. The dog's

vocal cords are cauterized and the dog STILL barks but at a soft level that will

not bother the neighbors or anybody else.

I believe this is better answer than euthanasia.

I tend to agree Oakway. People seem to think its cruel, but only because they think the dogs are made silent and cannot communicate anymore. In my 18 years of showing dogs I have only seen 2 truly silent dogs. Most can still bark, its just toned down, and does not travel as far. They make you jump through hoops to have the procedure done, yet its far less painful or "cruel" than a desexing op.

Yes Rysup, maybe we should also be educating the public better.

I have seen life improve for the dogs concerned as one is not constantly growling (pardon the pun) back at it to shut up.

I had a Sheltie many moons ago that would constantly bark and spin in circles and the dog would not put on weight.

After de barking all the spinning and barking stopped and the dog put on weight. After that I thought the dog may have been sending himself neurotic from it's own barking.

The neighbors were thrilled. :p

I had my bitch debarked many years ago in Canberra because of the whining and screaming she did, whether we were home or not. A fantastic job was done and I think my OH would have wrung her neck if she didnt get done (mind you she has got worse, I just cant hear her!) But I would never have known there was a brown snake in the run if I had the dog done! Definately pros and cons.

I had my bitch debarked many years ago in Canberra because of the whining and screaming she did, whether we were home or not. A fantastic job was done and I think my OH would have wrung her neck if she didnt get done (mind you she has got worse, I just cant hear her!) But I would never have known there was a brown snake in the run if I had the dog done! Definately pros and cons.

Yes, definitely pros and cons. But I think this is mainly for the town and suburbs where people have large neighbor problems. Still does not mean that the occasional snake may be encountered in the newer outer suburbs.

It's for the owner to weigh up what is best.....death or de bark.

I am in the country and I still have a dog or two de barked. I also have dogs that only bark when something is not right.

Thanks for the information and the support everyone.

I have received several recommendations by PM and have now booked my dog in for surgery next week. Will let you know how it all goes!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that I would post a quick update.

I ended up taking my Pomeranian to a vet near Campbelltown last Wednesday to get the debarking procedure done. As others have mentioned, I had to bring along a statutory declaration setting out the reasons for surgery. The vet understandably wanted to make sure that this really was a last resort and not simply the first port of call.

The surgery itself was performed under general anaesthetic and I was able to take my Pomeranian home only 2 hours after I dropped him off. I was quite surprised at how active and alert he was after the surgery. He didn't appear to be in any obvious discomfort (though animals are pretty good at masking their pain!). He had a bit of a cough but this cleared up by the following day.

Initially, I feared that I might have totally silenced him forever. However, he still barks but just at a volume which is not going to get him into trouble. The other benefit is that he no longer gets told off on a regular basis which is much less stressful for all concerned.

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation to myself and needs a vet recommendation, drop me a message and I will PM you a list of the vet names that I was kindly given. Also, if anyone has the contact details for the vet in Wollongong who also performs the procedure, let me know and I will add that vet to the list.