Teaching Pup Not To Nip Nip Nip!

Hi there, trying to teach a new puppy how to NOT nip nip nip nip nip nip nip! Only eight weeks old.

My thoughts so far are:

Growl at her

Yelp at her

Replace us with a toy to chew

Ignore

I'm wondering if a clicker could be used????????

Any suggestions?

Z

I use all of the things you have suggested, depending on the dog; the circumstance; and whether the immediately previous attempts to stop the nipping have had any impact. I tend to randomise what remonstrations I use. And I'll also sometimes combine them to achieve a synergistic effect. No hard and fast rule - it all depends on the pup and its temperament. And what works. And it's all a matter of being consistent, even if you feel like you're at it all the time in the early days. Be careful with your timing of 'toy replacement'. Distract first. Wait a moment. Then replace with a toy. If you do it too immediately you are effectively rewarding your pup for his nipping behaviour.

Clickers are used as positive markers - IOW, teaching the sound from the click means what he did right then was exactly what you wanted. So, if you're wanting to use a clicker (I use a verbal marker "yes" because I have it on me all the time :o), you use it to click behaviours you want. Having said that, I wouldn't be inclined to click and treat playing with one of his dog toys. The play itself should be self-rewarding enough. And the click and treat is only going to serve to distract him from it. I'd be inclined to give him quiet encouragement on that instead, if you're going to give him anything.

Edited by Erny