Photo On Canvas.

Melbomb

Hello all,

I'm hoping that i'm putting this in the right spot. :cry:

I have decided to be abit norty with my K Rudd monies and instead of saving it i have splurged on a big canvas photograph of star trails taken right here in SA. :provoke: :D Only problem is i'm not sure how i should present it, mount it, frame it, put it up on the wall? :thumbsup::hug:

Basically at this stage it is just a piece of canvas. How do most people display them? I've seen them attached to a wooden frame before but i'm not keen on that idea. I thought some of the photographers that frequent here might know and share their expertise, please. :eek::laugh:

Hmm, you had it printed but they didn't mount it?

I have mine stretched on a wooden frame before delivery and then they simply hang on the wall. It's classic for fine art canvas and photo canvas.

There's also a "new" acrylic mount option where the canvas is pressed between two sheets of acrylic. Looks awesome and sleek. But again, I have those done all together.

I'm sure a frame shop would be able to help you with options now that you already have the printed canvas ready...

Hmm, you had it printed but they didn't mount it?

I too thought that was interesting.

Melbomb how big is the image/canvas? I'd have it stretched on a frame. Was it printed with any sort of border?

I didn't have it printed it was given to me already printed. It's not of a photo i have taken myself. I thought it abit different that it wasn't mounted in some way but i got it cheaply because the photographer is my bosses mate. :laugh:

There's no border on it hence why i am not liking the idea of having it stretched on a wooden frame. Would i lose some of the picture if i choose to do it that way? The acrylic sounds interesting. I just didn't want to go into a framers without knowing how i wanted it done. Thought i might look abit silly if i did. :rofl:

Thanks guys :laugh:

I didn't have it printed it was given to me already printed. It's not of a photo i have taken myself. I thought it abit different that it wasn't mounted in some way but i got it cheaply because the photographer is my bosses mate. :laugh:

There's no border on it hence why i am not liking the idea of having it stretched on a wooden frame. Would i lose some of the picture if i choose to do it that way? The acrylic sounds interesting. I just didn't want to go into a framers without knowing how i wanted it done. Thought i might look abit silly if i did. :rofl:

Thanks guys :laugh:

Ah, if it doesn't have a border on it then yes, you'll lose a bit around the edge, so it really comes down to how large the whole image is. As far as i know acrylics need to be mounted with a print rather than canvas, so i'm not sure it would work with yours. Maybe just go to the framers and ask them for advice? Not sure if this would work but, off the top of my head, perhaps you could have it framed in a proper frame but with no glass or matting, with the canvas going right to the edge of the frame? Might look good with a nice box frame.

Ah, if it doesn't have a border on it then yes, you'll lose a bit around the edge, so it really comes down to how large the whole image is. As far as i know acrylics need to be mounted with a print rather than canvas, so i'm not sure it would work with yours. Maybe just go to the framers and ask them for advice? Not sure if this would work but, off the top of my head, perhaps you could have it framed in a proper frame but with no glass or matting, with the canvas going right to the edge of the frame? Might look good with a nice box frame.

I really don't want to lose the edge because theres a tiny bit of a shooting star (that's what we speculate it to be anyway) at the top and it looks cool! :laugh::laugh: It's about 1 metre square.

The box frame sounds like a good idea. Wasn't sure if they could do it in a conventional frame with glass etc. Me thinks i'm just going to have to go into a framers and show my utter stupidity with these things. :laugh::rofl:

You lose a tiny but around the edge as in a few millimetres on a 16 x 24 inch size. SOunds like a job for a framers if its already been printed.

If not printed would suggest leaving a tiny bit of white around when cropping the dimension for printing.

You lose a tiny but around the edge as in a few millimetres on a 16 x 24 inch size. SOunds like a job for a framers if its already been printed.

If not printed would suggest leaving a tiny bit of white around when cropping the dimension for printing.

Yeah i will definitely get it done at a framers. I see your in Adelaide Rubiton, can you recommend any good framers in Adelaide that i should go to, to have it done? :laugh:

Melbomb - I'm not sure on framers but Black and White Photographics send their canvas prints off to a third party to be framed/mounted (think they call it mounted). You could perhaps try giving them a call to see if they can recommended someone to mount it?

Hi Guys, I was about to start a thread on this very subject but then seen this one, so just thought Id ask my question here, it is basically along the same lines as Melbomb, but what Im wondering is if you use the a4 canvas photo paper through your printer to print out a picture, what do you do with it then? It is not the usual thing you would put behind glass in a frame as it is canvas, but is mounting it the only option by the time it was mounted it wouldnt leave much of the picture. i like the idea of between two pieces of acrylic but is this expensive. I have soem sheets of canvas photo paper to try in my printer and if they turn out Ok Im just wondering how I can keep them and put them on the wall?? any ideas greatly appreciated.

but is mounting it the only option by the time it was mounted it wouldnt leave much of the picture.

As you haven't printed them simply make a "border" around your photo. The "border" then is what is on the outside of the mounting frame and what is face up and showing is your whole image. Easy :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...