Heat Packs For Pups

RockabillyLove

I used a heat pack for my old Bulldog, when he was a pup, and I used a wheat-filled heatpack wrapped in a towel {in case it burst, it wouldn't burn him} with a small ticking clock, so it'd feel and sound like his mother's body.

He never chewed on it, but he loved draping his legs over the towel and snuggling into it.

I was wondering, puppy experts, if I should do that again for my in-future new pup, or should I use instead one of those toys that you can buy for children, and heat up in the microwave?

Is there anywhere that sells heatpacks for dogs?

You can buy heat packs and/or comfort toys with the ticking hearts for puppies from the link below. I think PetStages make one too.

http://www.thevetshed.com.au/index.php/cPath/1_13

I bought a furry hot water bottle cover that was in the shape of a puppy from the local chemist and replaced the hot water bottle with a wheat pack. Worked well and meant that I could easily remove the cover for washing. Cost around $20 for both. :rofl:

Last puppies I had I used a hot water bottle but put it under towels.

These heat pads tha you warm up in the microwave look good.

Heat Pad

Personally I wouldn't bother with a ticking clock. I would be more inclined to put a soft toy in there to act as a litter mate and a towl/blanket that has your smell on it.

We bought a snuggle pup for our dog - he loves it - they come with heat packs and a beating heart, he's quite happy just to curl up on it without either in there now but the heart beat in particular made a real difference while he was settling in I think.

I had a shocker with delivery, so my advice is order early! If the product wasn't so good I wouldn't be recommending them to be honest, but if you've got a week or so spare then do it - or ring them first! http://www.snuggleme.com.au/geo_redirect.htm

We bought a Petstages cuddle pal for Jedi when he was a pup. We never used it though!! It's got a velcro opening so you can take the heat pad out, but also you can use it to put treats in it to train retrieves. Otherwise my pups just love it as a normal toy!

F9B7F73FE6E11DA6F4CF78402297144FM.jpg

When I have had a litter I usually buy a heap of soft toys (bunny/star) from the discount shops. I leave them in the bed for the pups to play and sleep on, then send one home with each pup. I do explain why they are a touch grotty - so the pup has something that is and smells familiar - and encourage them not to wash them at least for the first few days while pup settles.

I bought a snuggle safe for my dog last winter when she was just a pup and it is great. Stays warm for at least 10 hours. Only problem is that it is hard...... and I like to use it myself. :o

You can easily make your own wheat heat cushions (The microwavable ones) Just google 'How to make A Wheat Heating Pad' Its really easy!

I made one for Leo last year, he loved it! Here he is sitting on it (The red thing he is sitting on) Will have to pull it out again now that the weather is getting cooler again: 160908062.jpg

We bought a Petstages cuddle pal for Jedi when he was a pup. We never used it though!! It's got a velcro opening so you can take the heat pad out, but also you can use it to put treats in it to train retrieves. Otherwise my pups just love it as a normal toy!

F9B7F73FE6E11DA6F4CF78402297144FM.jpg

I bought one of these for my pup, he loves it :thumbsup:

On his first night home I microwaved it and put it in his crate and he snuggled up to it. I don't microwave it much anymore, but he likes to chew on it and cuddle with it.