Puppyproofing Backyard?

kitty

Hi all

We're going to do some puppy-proofing on the weekend, and our backyard is contained by 6ft timber fences.

I know that one or two fence pales are missing, but apart from that i THINK we're ok.. (but further inspection will prove how much we need to do!)

We have a timber retaining wall around about 1/3 of the backyard, that has a hill with some 'bushland' as i like to call it... :eek:

What is the best way to puppy proof a backyard, and what materials are best to use? Someone told me to use chicken wire, but i would imagine that would still be flimsy and could be dug under (unless you dig the wire down a bit)

Any suggestions would be fantastic :eek:

Thanks~~

Sorry I don't understand, what part of the yard are you attempting to puppy proof, the bushy part? I wouldn't use chicken wire for anything, it's ok for chooks, but not strong enough for dogs.

You should use materials that will be strong enough to contain the adult dog that your puppy will eventually grow up to be. That is unless you want to do it all over again when the dog gets bigger.

The materials should be installed properly so that the puppy/dog can't chew them off/up or knock them over and they should be safe enough that the puppy/dog can't hurt themselves on them when they do chew them.

If you want to do it properly you dig a channel down about 10cm and fit a board under the fence then fill it back in again.

If you are in a toad area then you should remove all objects that toads can hide under, come to think of it you should remove all loose items anyway as they may be dangerous if chewed by the puppy.

I think a lot of people lie chook wire on the ground in front of the fence, secure it with tent pegs or something similar and then extend it up the fence in a sort of L shape, that will stop dogs digging. Or you could use sleepers or even rocks, a lot depends on the size of the dog.

I think a lot of people lie chook wire on the ground in front of the fence, secure it with tent pegs or something similar and then extend it up the fence in a sort of L shape, that will stop dogs digging. Or you could use sleepers or even rocks, a lot depends on the size of the dog.

I got heaps and heaps of wire coat hangers cheap from a clothing store and cut them into "tent pegs" and used them to peg the chook wire down just like Miranda described :rofl: