Grooming Advice Wire Haired Dog

I am fostering a dog through Sydney's DABS and he is a wire haired terrier x. I have never had a wire haired dog before and he (Hector) is in dire need of attention.

Am I allowed on this Forum to ask the following question:

Does anyone know of a grooming salon in Sydneys' eastern suburbs that does grooming at a fair cost? I have never had a wire haired dog before and Hector needs attention!

thank you

I am fostering a dog through Sydney's DABS and he is a wire haired terrier x. I have never had a wire haired dog before and he (Hector) is in dire need of attention.

Am I allowed on this Forum to ask the following question:

Does anyone know of a grooming salon in Sydneys' eastern suburbs that does grooming at a fair cost? I have never had a wire haired dog before and Hector needs attention!

thank you

Can't help you the grooming salon (I'm in a different state), but do you have a picture of the doggy? Were you planning on having him shaved or stripped? If you want him stripped, it is worth your time to start doing it yourself, as grooming salons don't usually do it, and the ones that do are EXPENSIVE (and it will always look a bit crappy, since they take sooo much hair away at once, when you're meant to do it gradually).

I would suggest investing in something like a stripping comb, if the coat is what I'm imagining. Or at the very least a nice stiff brush and maybe something like a furminator to get rid of some of the coat that is undoubtedly going to fall like snow all over your house!

I posted in the other thread so I'm just going to post it here, too. :rolleyes:

From the look of his photo, pearlandmooks, Hector has a coat that can be hand stripped. Being a terrier fan, I can't stand to ee them clipped!

The basic process is to grab the hard outer coat and pull it out. Dogs with proper coat (nice and hard, like a 'straw door mat' :eek:) don't normally object as it is the dead coat that you'll be pulling out.

Here's some info on stripping:

http://www.harborside.com/~laurelt/handstrip.htm

http://www.norfolkterrierclub.co.uk/coatcare.htm

http://groomblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/hand...et-terrier.html

Some of these links show stripping knives, which I don't like, but would be better than getting him clipped!

This is my foster that looked like him...

Before stripping:

00000071va3.jpg

After (some) stripping:

dorystrip.jpg

Hope that's useful.

thank you!

I will post some pix tomorrow showing what I have in front of me!! The back end and his tail are a mess

Perhaps I might get an idea of what he might just be a mix of too! Your before and after shots show a similar dog but Hec has stumpy legs... anyway will take photos tomorrow

pearlandmooks - Most terriers don't like bums being stripped anyway, so may be best to just scissor him there. I have be known to, on a messy rear end, don gloves and just strip as normal. Not so appreciated but I do try hard not to cut coat!

Some terriers also have hard and soft bits of coat... So heads, chest, belly, rear end are sometimes too soft to be stripped anyway (especially on mongrels) - at least in my experience. :D

Looking forward to more pictures, anyway!

I could do him here (for free). However he must have served his quarantine time and be two weeks past a vax if he was impounded.

I don't do hand stripping (sorry Leema :D ), but I can give him a good going over and see if that helps him at all. Would have to be a Wed/Thurs/Fri tho' at this stage.

Edited by Clyde

Hi Clyde, that is very kind of you! :D He has stitches in till 14 April so I could wait till then and that would also put him past the quarantine you require, too? he has had his shots ... he has been boarded in a vet surgery so that has been good from a health point of view.

And thanks to all who have replied. I will get some pix this morning when he returns from his walk.

When we went outside today he was snuggled in his bed and when he got up it was like looking at electrified steel wool!!!!!!!!

We have a rough collie whom my husband grooms weekly and in the past we have had smooth fox terriers and rough collies so as you can imagine this wiry scruffy coat is new to us.

His face and ears are smooth but from the neck down it is ginger steel wool! I need advice to as to how he should look... perhaps he is normal looking with this shaggy rough coat??

Looking forward to your replies, and Clyde, I will make an appointment with you when you OK the date/time.. I am retired so can come any day.. whereabouts are you on the north shore?

Looking at the photos you could strip alot out.Using a feal/nit comb would get alot out.

For the cheapest 7& easiest root go to agood horse shop & buy a "slick n Easy" ( heros stone) & with gentle strokes work on the coat.

What a sweet little fellow!

His bum has so much extra coat compared to his front end. It almost looks as though someone got halfway through stripping out his front and then quit at the end of his ribcage.

You can see on his bum his hair is 'clumped'. Just grab the clumps and pull them out! (One at a time.) It'll look nicer. :rofl:

The hair on his head looks quite soft and probably can't be stripped.

Does it need attention?

If he was just brushed through, he'd probably be fine.

If you strip it out, it'll look nicer, and he'll drop less coat through the house. He probably will feel nicer for him, too, as he won't have loose, dead coat.

I gave Hector a brush tonight and a lot of hair came out

I will give a pull or two at the fur at the back tomorrow to see what happens

Yes, it looks as though he is two dogs doesn't it, smooth to mid back then chaos!!

He has a mohawk too!!!!

He was only desexed on Wednesday so I can't wash him till 14 April

Thank you again for all your advice, it has been much appreciated

I will keep you updated

What a sweet little fellow!

His bum has so much extra coat compared to his front end. It almost looks as though someone got halfway through stripping out his front and then quit at the end of his ribcage.

You can see on his bum his hair is 'clumped'. Just grab the clumps and pull them out! (One at a time.) It'll look nicer. :D

That's exactly what I was goiing to say! :rofl:

He's half stripped already!

Those clumps on the back end will probably come out quite easily and don't be afraid to give a good tug. :o

I'm on a learning curve with my little Norwich who has a wire coat and she's looking like the front half of your wee fella right now :rofl:

The anaesthetic will also cause the coat to blow quicker so it will most likely fall out alot on its own over the next 6 weeks.

If using your fingers buy some rubber thimbles & cut the end out of one & leave the thumb one intake & pull

Make sure you keep the skin tight when pulling out a few hairs (same principle to having legs waxed or pulling of a plaster)

I find the thin rubber gloves, like vets may wear are the best for giving enough grip to the coat to pull without loosing the feeling of how much hair you have hold of. Just pull out a tiny bit at a time.

With an experienced hand stripper, that coat should all be out in 1/2 hour. Just don't bath him after stripping, the skin is better for leaving a day or so otherwise it can develop little red bumps.