Lunging On Lead

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Jesie walks beautifully on the lead, no pulling, a few sniffs but never pulls me or tugs on my arms. But when we do see another doggie she gets that excited that she pulls like a freight train and lunges at the dog. I usually say "Jesie wait" to no avail and then its a tug of war between me and her. :eek: She has a focus word of look where she looks straight into my eyes and she's really good with it. Should I tell her to look when we see another dog so that I have her attention?

Absolutely. I'd be telling her to sit too while you talk to the other owner.

She needs to learn some self control. Focus and obedience to your cues will assist with that.

if she can focus, as poodlefan said, get her to focus. In reality you will be doing a focus under heavy distraction exercise with her - if you also know her critical distance move outside it in the beginning. Also, no feed first (unless she needs it for medical reasons) and use food as an extra incentive. Step by baby step with this and gradually decrease the distance between you and the distraction.

Do not do the biggest owner boo boo there is ... the 'Lets Test The Dog' exercise where they suddenly put the dog right up close or under heavy pressure/distraction ...

then when this happens ...

mushroom_cloud_wideweb__430x269.jpg

they wonder why they are either back to or even BEFORE step one.

As for the drop stay a few questions :

do you use the word stay or just drop

do you have a release word

what usually happens when she breaks the stay?

how has she been proofed in the exercise

p.s. Dog Borstal is a BBC show which is like boot camp for really bad dogs. There is 3 different trainers with different philosophies and the owners have to then pass a test at the end of the show

short but good watching

She's really good at her look command so will definately give what you said a go, thanks heaps!!!!

Drop/Stay - I tell Jesie to drop, give her a food reward and then tell her stay in a firm voice. My release work is OK and when she has finished the exercise she gets a food reward and pats. When she breaks I walk away with her and set her up again like a new exercise. I have no idea what you mean by proofing though?

I dont use a stay command - I teach my dogs that what command I give (sit, drop etc) means just that until I tell you otherwise.

She may not completely understand what you mean by stay or its not nice for her - obviously drop she understands so why not stick with that and start again? I would go like this (pretend YES is a marker word like a clicker)

DROP! - YES - OK - treat and praise

start short lengths of time, then gradually increase. Teach the dog that it stays in a drop until you release it - if you have to recommand the drop so be it but then you might be expecting too much from the dog.

Keep your dog focussed on you, if you make it fun and no treat comes until the end of the exercise (so you are showing that staying in a drop until you say different is the way drop works) the dog will have to work to get what it wants. You are rewarding before the exercise is over so the dog effectively has not much to work for. Make the dog work for its reward, dont be afraid to be a little strict in your parameters but remember - keep it fun for the dog too. Make it WANT to do the exercise and do it gradually so you will find you wont have what you have now - one minute the dog can go a few minutes in the position, the next the dog just walks off.

edited for clarity

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks heaps Nehkbet! Really appreciate your help! Her sit/stays are brilliant, doesn't move a muscle. Just these drop/stays. We're off to club on Sunday but will try and get some practice in tomorrow. Maybe i might get her to drop for her dinner?

practice whenever you can. DOnt limit obedience to 'set' times because as you would know, even we dont feel like it sometimes! When you see the dog is really up for some work get some training in, even a couple of times and really reinforce it for her, make a big fuss. You will find her improve at a better rate.