Australian Kelpies And Breathing

Nick Menai

i have photos i can upload for you guys, i have also added photos in the kelpie link above (provided by kavik) for everyone to see as well.

having a lie down after a run

Chase004.jpg

Chase005.jpg

Chase006.jpg

In trouble after digging into the garden

Photo226cropped.jpg

Photo227.jpg

and just relaxing under next to the flower garden

Chase057.jpg

Edited by Nick Menai

lol

puggy puggy its a "he"

his names chase.

sorry kavik, to answer your question, i live in Menai, Sydney.

Sutherland Shire, sought of south/west.

right in between sutherland and bankstown.

heres one of his tongue when he is in the middle of a yawn

Photo005-2.jpg

Edited by Nick Menai

Is your kelpie from working lines or show lines? (from a breeder/show lines or a stud/working lines?)

You described him as Australian kelpie (name used for show lines) and mentioned looking at kelpies being shown in conformation, but from your photos looks more like a working line kelpie to me (million apologies if I'm wrong as a photo isn't always good indication- I cannot tell the size or build from this)

If a working line kelpie, I don't think the kelpie club will be all that helpful to you - the working and show strains have almost evolved to a point where they are practically different breeds in many ways.

If you still have concerns, I would be contacting breeder/stud breeder first before the vet to find out if they think this is a normal behaviour.

I have 2 red and tan working line kelpies and both exhibit exactly the same behaviour with the panting you described - but only need very short periods of 'recover' between exercising and would go all day...... if I let them. So I would consider it totally normal.

Is your kelpie from working lines or show lines? (from a breeder/show lines or a stud/working lines?)

You described him as Australian kelpie (name used for show lines) and mentioned looking at kelpies being shown in conformation, but from your photos looks more like a working line kelpie to me (million apologies if I'm wrong as a photo isn't always good indication- I cannot tell the size or build from this)

If a working line kelpie, I don't think the kelpie club will be all that helpful to you - the working and show strains have almost evolved to a point where they are practically different breeds in many ways.

If you still have concerns, I would be contacting breeder/stud breeder first before the vet to find out if they think this is a normal behaviour.

I have 2 red and tan working line kelpies and both exhibit exactly the same behaviour with the panting you described - but only need very short periods of 'recover' between exercising and would go all day...... if I let them. So I would consider it totally normal.

Hi kelpie chick,

im not exactly sure but i was advised the father was a farm dog (general farm dsuties) and the other was a family dog (house pet).

The mother and the father did have similarities so your probably right, but i might ring the owner and find out some more information from him.

alot of people tell me it is slack to domesticate these types of dogs because of the lack of activities and all that, but my dog gets plenty of attention.

both my parents are retired, they get up in the morning and take him for a walk, then my mum will kick the ball around with him for a little while in the backyard.

then when i get home, i take him up to the footy field where i run him constantly for about 1/2 hour.

and your right, i give him about ten minutes and he is ready to go again.

i will contact the owner and find out some more info from him.

i really want to start taking him out on weekends and do dog activities and im looking into facilities in the area where i can take him.

thanks for your help.

Oh he's adorable! Look at the long tounge!

Good to see another "Shirey" on here :cry:

go the shire!

if you know or take your dog to any places that have activities for dogs in the area, i will be more than willing to join you.

Edited by Nick Menai

Good on you for wanting to do the right thing and give your kelpie plenty of exercise.

I would think he is definitely from working lines - if you go to the Sydney Royal and look at the kelpies being shown you will find they look very different from your boy- who is adorable BTW.

Have just realised he is only a puppy (another blonde moment, it is a puppy thread after all- duh!)

Not sure how old he is but be careful not to do too much exercise too soon. People will tell you that a kelpie needs to run a certain amount each day - but are basing that on an adult needs. So build up slowly, especially with endurance type things.

Several short exercise sessions each day are good for puppies - most will run around and self exercise at other times too.

Make sure you give him plenty of mental stimulation too - just as important, if not more important for kelpies - they are thinking dogs who really need a job to do.

Mine are involved in agility training, but both did obedience type training as puppies. They respond very well to positive methods - if you treat kelpies harshly they quickly lose respect - and love trick training too. Bonus to basic obedience and trick training is that you can work several very short sessions each day, inside as well. (Commercial breaks during television programs are idea for this)

Also make sure he is occupied during the day - lots of meaty bones (marrow bones are favourites for mine), stuffed kongs, treat balls, chewies, etc. I don't leave other type toys lying around without supervision but there are a range of things you can get that are pretty safe for unsupervised use - and what a bonus to have your parents around.

For a first time kelpie owner I would recommend getting this book : 'Kelpie Basics and Beyond' published by the Noonbarra Kelpie stud. You can buy it online here.

A fantastic book for any puppy owner, not just kelpies. It covers basic behaviour and training and is easy to understand.

I have a blog for my kelpies here which will probably not be very interesting for you as it is mainly agility related.

But there are links on the right to other kelpie related stuff that might interest you so feel free to have a look.

I hope you get as much happiness from your boy as I do from my two!

What a gorgeous dog you have there! :rofl:

Maybe it is the heat that is causing the panting? :) In some of your photos, he is in full sun and in one pic he is leashed and tied to his kennel.

My dog Tilly does not seem to cope in the heat/full sun. She will run and swim for half the time if it is sunny and warm.