Australian Kelpies And Breathing

Nick Menai

Hi,

I have a red and tan kelpie who is 9 1/2 months old.

live in a suburban house with a nice big back yard.

i walk my dog everyday, if not everyday or if its raining, ill take him the next day for twice as much (not exactly twice as much but more than a normal walk).

i walk my dog up to the school, which is 1km in distance.

i will then let him go and run him around by getting him to fetch balls.

usually go for about 30 mins, giving him regular breaks, sometimes he takes his own break and wont come back until he is ready.

when finished, walk back home and give him his dinner.

even when around the house, ill run him around fetching balls, so excercise isnt an issue for him.

the dog runs alot.

very hyperactive dog.

he also gets plenty of water, there are bowls all around the backyard and i take a bottle with me when walking, or i will just turn on a tap and let him drink from it.

he gets fed eukanuba food only.

i give him a nice bone once a week and ill give him a pigs ear every couple of weeks.

he is not an overly confident dog.

gets a little scared of things that are foreign to him.

but he is very friendly with other dogs, adults and kids.

from young, i have made him mix with other dogs at the park and let kids feed him treats and stuff like that so he is a very good dog around people and other dogs.

one thing i have a problem with, and im not sure how long this has been going for, but he seems to start panting very quckly now.

he seems fine, very up spirit and jumps around so i don't think it is anything that is hurting him.

when he run around and he gets tired, he will eventually just drop to the ground and just pant and pant until he is ready to go again.

i took him to a vet.

$300 later they advised me he had bronchitus and gave me tablets to take, but he is still the same.

they took x rays so there are no tumors or anything like that, or else they would have picked up on it.

he eats everything he sees (not every every thing, but lots of things, eats alot of grass which makes me think he has a stomach problem), but all i have noticed when he eats something off, is he gets diarhea for a couple of days and then gets over it.

i dont know whether it is a respitory or heart problem or whether it is normal for australian kelpies to start panting after a few minutes of activities.

i don't know any other people with kepies so i dont know whether this is a normal thing.

i am more than happy to take him to the vet, but it felt like last time they were trying to make the most (money) out of my paranoia.

i have copies of the x-rays (in paper format, they wouldn't give me the originals) and i cant see anything, but obviously im not a vet so i wouldn't know what to look for.

can anyone give help me with this one?

i have tried to inlcude as much detail as i think would help, but im glad to answer whatever anyone needs to help.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

Edited by Nick Menai

i am more than happy to take him to the vet, but it felt like last time they were trying to make the most (money) out of my paranoia.

i have copies of the x-rays (in paper format, they wouldn't give me the originals) and i cant see anything, but obviously im not a vet so i wouldn't know what to look for.

can anyone give help me with this one?

i have tried to inlcude as much detail as i think would help, but im glad to answer whatever anyone needs to help.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

Firstly Nick. in my opinion, you have paid for your xrays. They are yours. if you would like a second opinion on the matter which is not resolving itself with meds then you are entitled to take those xrays.

he may have a problem with his heart, surely if his rythym was irregular they would of told you.

He may still have some infection that hasnt cleared.

Our kelpie did eat grass.

sometimes it may be due to an underlying intestinal problem and he needs to make himself be sick. other times dogs eat grass for the nutrients or simply because they can.

our boy panted due to the fact that he worked all day.

I dont think you are being paranoid but maybe another opinion is a good idea

Edited by stonebridge

Hmmm tough one there.

It could certainly be a physical problem/illness, only vets could tell you that

What about stress though? When dogs get stressed they pant more. You said the dog gets scared of lots of little things, is this when he pants?

Hmmm tough one there.

It could certainly be a physical problem/illness, only vets could tell you that

What about stress though? When dogs get stressed they pant more. You said the dog gets scared of lots of little things, is this when he pants?

or the opposite, my girl pants when she is really excited, the second she knows she is going for a walk/drive, she gets into crazy mode and starts to pant a little?

when he run around and he gets tired, he will eventually just drop to the ground and just pant and pant until he is ready to go again.

That sounds perfectly normal :laugh:

Dogs pant firstly, as they don't sweat- so if they need to cool down, or react to a stressful situation, they pant !

Our working dog pups will throw themselves down on the ground and pant long & loud when they are tired .

My dog ,hamlet pants when he is worried,,, or when he is excited (a lot of the time)... and when he's hot ... a lot of the time, as he is a crazy, running around dog....

If you are not happy - you can always get a second opinion.... Maybe that would set your mind at ease :idea:

Personally he sounds normal.. he runs, his body temperature rises, he pants to cool off! :laugh:

If he is happy to run, and is eating, has had a vet check, and seems to be acting normally... don't panic.

Edited by persephone

Does your dog's gait change (eg become irregular) before your dog "drops to the ground"?

Probably not the case, but one of my thoughts was Exercise Induced Collapse, although this is more commonly seen in Labradors. Refer the following link for some info, scroll down to "Description of Collapse" and click on the link to video footage. I'm uncertain whether with EIC there can be moderate to extreme cases or whether all dogs who have the condition exhibit similarly.

EIC Information

Does your dog snore or make breathing noises (whilst sleeping or otherwise)?

Edited by Erny

I've had similar concerns with Tilba. She will pant at any time, not just after exercise. While it was hot she would pant, but when the temperature dropped she would still pant. I had the vet listen to her heart & she said it sounded fine. She's just been recently spayed & came through ok. I thought with all the monitoring & blood test if there was anything wrong they would have told me.

our three dogs are walking around outside.. panting.it is only about 23 degrees.

I just took one other dog for a run/swim... she threw herself down on her side... and is puffing away ...

Panting is also more frequent during periods of humidity..

Where are you situated, Nick Menai ??

Also...

if you can post a photo of your dog when he is doing this??

It is difficult over the 'net.. where we can't see the dog's face,or posture.. etc.

Are his ears up, or back along his head?

Is he still wagging his tail?

Is his mouth stretched wide, or just hanging open?

is his mouth area clean?

Is he dripping saliva?

Is there froth around his mouth?

Is his tongue pink?

As I said...

You can always visit another vet... take your Xray copies, and notes on the medication pup had for his bronchitis... and see if there is a more detailed explanation given .

In my experience hyperactive/anxious/highly strung dogs pant much more than dogs that are easy going and confident. I would say that given the dog's temperament the excess panting is normal in this particular dog. Heat could also be a factor especially if your dog is black or dark in colour.

thanks for all your reply guys, much apreciated.

i live in menai, sydney.

The vet told me that they need to keep all x rays for future diagnosis and that it was illegal to hand them out to people.

the vet also set that his heart was beating pretty quick, cant remember her saying it was irregular and i really dont think she did, because im sure she would have pointed it out. i think this is because is a very excited dog, i don't know but thats what i think.

when he gets scared of something, for instance, a grass mat fell off the table near him once. it startled him and he jumped around looking at me and barking at the mat. i had to eventually go to it and show him there was nothing wrong. he eventually walked and gave it a sniff and i think he was fine after that.

when he gets really tired, i dont think his gait changes, just walks around in a bit of a circle then flops to the ground.

i looked at that viedo and he certainly doesnt do that (poor thing, that almost made me cry)

his ears dont go all the way back when panting but when really tired, they a pearched back a bit like when i am scratching his chest or under his ears.

when he is panting normally, his ears are normal (perched up when investigating and perched all the way back when wanting a cuddle)

he does wag his tail when i try and excite him while panting as well.

he doesnt snore, but when really tired and panting, he will takes gulps and sought of makes a noise then.

when he pants, he dribbles a bit every now and then but its not froth, just saliva (clear liquid) and its only when he is really tired that he does this (i think). for the last few weeks (after giving him the medication) i haven't noticed it as much.

when he pants, he does stretch his mouth wide open but it doesnt look like he is struggling, he certainly doesnt sound like he has problems breathing.

there is nothing in his mouth that i can see that is blocking his airways either

when i put my hand on his chest, to me it sounds like its weazing but that could just be that he is panting so fast and its the fur moving on my hand that makes me think that, i certainly cant hear the weazing.

his tongue is pink (and very long mind you).

i don't have a photo with me now (at work) but when i get the chance, i will try and upload one.

the problem is, is that i can't afford to keep spending hundreds of dollars on "consults"

i am more than happy to spend money on whatever needs to be done, but i need to know for sure if there is a problem or if the vet is just trying to make money out of a paranoid dog owner.

Edited by Nick Menai

another question that someone might help me with;

do kelpies pant alot more than other dogs or are all dogs the same?

healthier dogs pant more than lazy dogs?

what im trying to say is, do certain types of dogs pant more or less than other dogs?

whether it is breed, health, size, age or anything else.

Honestly, it sounds normal.....

We have Koolies, and KoolieX Kelpies.

They have mouths like a whale... open WAY up.

When they're working .. and panting, they gulp& slurp... and dribble... and can't seem to pant fast enough :p

they do this from a few months old, to into their teens ...

:laugh:

.... or if the vet is just trying to make money out of a paranoid dog owner.

:laugh: Look on the bright side. SOMEONE at least gets to retire that bit earlier than he/she otherwise might.

Oh - and I can sympathise with you at the notion/concern of paranoia. But it is often hard to ignore that voice in your head that might be telling you something isn't right. And sometimes it is a good thing that we don't ignore it. Sometimes these things are really difficult for the Vets too - because they don't get to see the dog in the situation under which symptoms reveal themselves. So you need to be very clear, factual, thorough (but simultaneously succinct) when you make your description to the Vet. Similarly, the Vet needs to be capable of listening and taking things on board.

It might be nothing Nick. No one here can tell you that it is or isn't and can only throw up suggestions that hint to some possibility.

There is something else in the back of my mind. I think it is called laryngeal collapse or something like that. Although if this were the case I would have thought you would hear breathing noises that are similar to those of elongated palate. But as I am not a Vet and have not actually come across a dog that I know has the condition (although there is one that I suspect has .... elongated palate having been ruled out) I am not saying that I am familiar with all the clinical symptoms involved in it.

In the meantime, I'd just watch your dog. Take note of exercise time/exertion. The weather. Excitability/stress/emotion at the time. Length of time to her flopping down. Activity beforehand. And watch for variations.

Edited by Erny

do kelpies pant alot more than other dogs or are all dogs the same?

I think the answer is probably yes, they can pant more, because they tend to do more. Some breeds/types within breeds will keep going for as long as you ask them to and I certainly know kelpies that fall into this category. They will often chase a ball for as long as you will throw it. While some breeds may not be as interested or obsessive and stop when they are tired, other breeds would literally fall over from exhaustion unless you stop the game.

How is his weight? can you feel all his ribs? can you post a pic? If he is carrying any excess weight that would certainly contribute to panting.

My dogs all pant at various times, the more humid it is, the more they tend to pant after exercise. They do recover quite quickly though. If your dog is panting drastically for 20 mins or more after exercise then I would be worried about that.

Do you take your dog to socalise with other Kelpies? Perhaps if you found a social group of Kelpies or a fun day organise by the Australian Kelpie Club of NSW you could take your dog there and compare his breathing etc to the other Kelpies.

AUSTRALIAN KELPIE CLUB of NSW

Sec Ph:02- 6345 5810

Mobile: 0438 239 008

Are you still in contact with the breeder of your dog? Perhaps you could go and visit them and compare your dogs breathing with their dogs.

thanks alot for the information guys.

i might just keep an eye on him and see if anything else changes in his normal patterns.

ill try and post a pic of him.

he's a champion of a dog. very fit and lean.

and he doesnt stop, day and night.

puggy puggy, thanks for the info on the australian kelpie club, i might have a look into that.

if there are any other links or information about kelpies that anyone can post, that would be much apreciated.

i am personally excited about the easter show this year because they will have kelpies on show there.

only if i could take my dog there, i practically take him everywhere else i go.

my wife thinks i love him more than her, which in some cases is true...

Maybe another vet could give their opinion to you...hopefully there is nothing to worry about.

My kelpie X coolie Tilly never pants for long. After running and swimming for an 1 hour & 15 minutes she will stop panting within a couple of minutes.

When she has only swum for a short time and ran for a while, then she will pant for a little while longer.

The very first day we brought her home from the pound, she panted for hours though because she was obviously very stressed.

Not sure if this helps or not, but this was Tilly the first day we had her...so panting from stress:

3024095579_50c067ba73.jpg

And panting at the dog park, after running and swimming:

3173759398_867d410727.jpg