Antibiotic Prices

I brought Trixie to the vet on Friday for her skin problem. She's got a skin infection [cause unknown :rolleyes] and the vet prescribed two weeks of antibiotics. They didn't have them on site so she wrote me a script and said I could get them from the chemist. They cost 1/5 of the price we paid for ABs from the vet last time. What's the deal with that? :thumbsup:

I brought Trixie to the vet on Friday for her skin problem. She's got a skin infection [cause unknown :rolleyes] and the vet prescribed two weeks of antibiotics. They didn't have them on site so she wrote me a script and said I could get them from the chemist. They cost 1/5 of the price we paid for ABs from the vet last time. What's the deal with that? :thumbsup:

I had that same situation with the antihistamines I give one of my dogs - I used to buy them from the vet for $80 until one lovely vet told me that they were exactly the same as some of the 'human' antihistamines and I could get them from the local chemist. She gave me the names of the brands that were ok for dogs and Ive been buying them there for $14 ever since....

I believe its because that antibiotic is subsidised by the government. The medication that you get from your vets is not subsidised so cost you extra.

Edited by Kharn

I believe its because that antibiotic is subsidised by the government. The medication that you get from your vets is not subsidised so cost you extra.

Wrong.

The PBS does not cover drugs that are prescibed to animals through chemists. Last time I looked animals do not have a medicare card or pension or health care cards.

Wrong.

The PBS does not cover drugs that are prescibed to animals through chemists. Last time I looked animals do not have a medicare card or pension or health care cards.

Well sorry, I never said I was RIGHT. It was a guess.

Wrong.

Well sorry, I never said I was RIGHT. It was a guess.

Actually you were right Kharn.

I actually got this tip from an ex-vet who works in my company. I was getting ventricular tacchycardia pills (100 mexilitine capsules for $60 and 20 sotalol tablets for $22). I got a script and got it from my pharmacist and it only cost me $28 for the mexilitine and 10 for 60 sotalol tableets!!

then the doctor prescribed some antibiotics for Hazel which made her throw up and then he dispensed another type which cost me $77 for 15 tablets! i wanted a script but he insisted that he had already dispensed the medication.

My colleague explained to me that the vets dont usually like us getting pills from a pharmacy because they makea big profit from dispensing the medication as well. sucks right?

Ruthless did you have to show your medicare card to fill the script?

The script would be for Ruthless's dog not for Ruthless so her medicare card does not come into play unless the vet somehow became a human doctor with a human prescription pad and made the prescription out to Ruthless.

Yes the drug may be on the PBS for people with medicare cards but if you don't have a medicare care, which animals do not, then you pay a non-PBS price.

This might help explaining why vets charge more.

Previous Medication Topic

My colleague explained to me that the vets dont usually like us getting pills from a pharmacy because they makea big profit from dispensing the medication as well. sucks right?

Just a little!

Ruthless did you have to show your medicare card to fill the script?

The script would be for Ruthless's dog not for Ruthless so her medicare card does not come into play unless the vet somehow became a human doctor with a human prescription pad and made the prescription out to Ruthless.

Yes the drug may be on the PBS for people with medicare cards but if you don't have a medicare care, which animals do not, then you pay a non-PBS price.

This might help explaining why vets charge more.

Previous Medication Topic

I realise the script was most likely for Ruthless' dog (and I do actually realise that dogs don't have medicare cards), however I didn't know for sure, as I personally have never brought my dogs medication from a chemist. I was just asking for more facts, I apologise I didn't realise it was obviously such a ridiculous question.