Marking On Owners

PLEASE NOTE: Recommendations to see a behavourist/behavouralist/trainer are not needed here - this recommendation is implied with everything on DOL, I'm aware of this and already have taken it on board.

What would you do if your dog started deliberately lifting his leg on you? In particular this almost 2 year old boy (desexed at 7 weeks) has tried it on his male owner and was roused at and has sinced tried it on his female owner more than once.

My puggy boy lifted his leg on me a few times many moons ago when we used to do obedience training. He hated dropping in the wet grass so decided to let me know how he felt. I just about peed my pants laughing at him but the trainer said that I should have told him off.

Is there a certain situation that leads to the dog mentioned lifting his head on his owners?

This is tricky without knowing anything of the dog's habits/environment.....

Belly band when they think this may occur, for a start.

lots of close leashwork... busy time, so he doesn't get a chance,

training to pee on command!

T O T

Have the dog more restricted in his privileges (being inside, being on furniture, being around when humans eat ...all are PRIVILEGES, not rights :thumbsup: )

Yes, he can be inside... but lying on his bed ..if not interacting quietly with his humans.

Yes, he can be around when humans eat... but on a down stay or similar..and NO feeding tidbits!

PLEASE NOTE: Recommendations to see a behavourist/behavouralist/trainer are not needed here - this recommendation is implied with everything on DOL, I'm aware of this and already have taken it on board.

What would you do if your dog started deliberately lifting his leg on you? In particular this almost 2 year old boy (desexed at 7 weeks) has tried it on his male owner and was roused at and has sinced tried it on his female owner more than once.

I'm not sure I understand the reason for this question. Is it that engaging a behaviourist/trainer has been recommended, but that you need answers as to what the owner should do in the absence of engaging a behaviourist? :thumbsup:

What is meant by "... already have taken it on board"? Has a behaviourist already been consulted?

Edited by Erny

I'm not sure I understand the reason for this question. Is it that engaging a behaviourist/trainer has been recommended, but that you need answers as to what the owner should do in the absence of engaging a behaviourist?

What is meant by "... already have taken it on board"? Has a behaviourist already been consulted?

My note is a response to not being able to ask a dog training question on DOL without simply getting 50 posts telling you to go see a behavourist/behavouralist/trainer and nothing else. It's not helpful and while sometimes nessecary, it has been taken too far IMO on DOL.

No professional has been or will be paid for this issue (though of course professional opinion is welcomed). Taken on board means I've considered it, decided it's not worth it and don't need to hear it again.

does he sniff first or just lift his leg ?

Is it on any particular clothing or anything goes.

Does he always lift his leg to pee ( I have an almost 2yr old male who still squats a lot)

Where there other animals around at the time.

Where does he normally pee?

I would do the pee on command, both my dogs pee on command so at least I know we have an empty bladder when I need it, travel etc.

I am guessing also that he got a massive reaction the first time and thought it was pretty cool.

I would find the pee place he must go to and take him regularly to that spot, like puppy training all over again and praise and give treats for doing it in the correct place till they get the place right and an on command pee

tell them to buy some wellies meantime :laugh:

Assuming that the this is the only issue and the dog is not toileting inappropriately at other times and does not have incontinence etc- the dog would get a clear, well timed correction from me at the time of doing it plus increasing the dogs training at other times and making sure the dog is being responsive to other commands etc.

tell them to buy some wellies meantime :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rofl:

Dog is not incontinent, does not mark in the house but does still submission/excitement pee (like when the cat scares him or when going for a walk). He lifts his leg sometimes at home and always when out.

He is lifting his leg when getting his harness on to go for a walk or when getting a good pat - so I'm thinking it could be excitement but I can't imagine why he lifts his leg to do it. A few times when he first arrived he lifted his leg on the other dogs head but hasn't done that for ages. It's very interesting.

Which is why I tried my best to make this a "discussion of dog behaviour and training methods for something particular" thread rather than a "help me fix this problem" thread - though I'm not sure what's so different.

I know training problems are very hard if not impossible to solve over the internet and I don't expect anyone to. I'm just looking to learn and keep up to date from a wide variety of sources to make sure I am offering the best in-person help I can and because the why's and how's of dog training interest me.

Ditto- if the dog is excitable when doing it and still has submissive/ excited urination, a correction would be very unlikely to be appropriate. Teaching the dog to calm and settle would be the first port of call.

But your first particular thing now sounds quite different. The first sounds like a dominant, smartarse thing and the second like a very worried dog. Without seeing the dog in person both of these assumptions could be totally wrong. Therefore the training advice given would be wrong and if someone carries it out could do more harm to the animal than good.

Ditto- if the dog is excitable when doing it and still has submissive/ excited urination, a correction would be very unlikely to be appropriate. Teaching the dog to calm and settle would be the first port of call.

Why lift the leg rather than just pee sitting as the sumissive/excitement peeing usually is though? It seems to me a far more conscious action. I was wondering if he's protecting his possession from the wide world and this is why it's done as they head out for a walk.

BTW they have worked on calming him and he hardly ever excitement pees for walks now. They get the harness out and let him run his sillys off, then when he can sit himself down still, they put the harness on. Then again wait for the sillyness to stop and once he's sitting clamly they head off.

But your first particular thing now sounds quite different. The first sounds like a dominant, smartarse thing and the second like a very worried dog. Without seeing the dog in person both of these assumptions could be totally wrong. Therefore the training advice given would be wrong and if someone carries it out could do more harm to the animal than good.

I only said the dog has deliberatly cocked his leg on his owners more than once and that's still the case, I've simply divulged when it happened. But that's of no consequence to me, so I'm happy to say it's totally different now.

I don't want advise! I want to know what you would do if presented with the situation described. I want to know what you think is going on from the details given. Go ahead and assume and theorise to your hearts content, no dog will suffer due to it, I can promise that.

I don't want advise! I want to know what you would do if presented with the situation described. I want to know what you think is going on from the details given. Go ahead and assume and theorise to your hearts content, no dog will suffer due to it, I can promise that.

Um isn't someone telling you what they would do advice? :rofl:

As everyone else has said your first posting paints a very different situation to the second one. From the first posting I also presumed the dog was being a little brat and trying to dominate it's owners but now with the extra information it does sound like he is peeing with excitment rather then peeing to dominate. But then again I have seen dogs start to hump other dogs when they get very worked up and I see humping as a form of dominance. So the dog in question could be peeing as a form of dominance but it is triggered by over excitment rather then purely the need to dominate.

Perhaps the cocking of the leg occurs because he senses the need to pee and when he pees normally he cocks his leg?

I wonder if (whatever the initial cause) it has now just become a habit?

Based on your information, I think I would probably try to make a list of when he lifts his leg inappropriately. Then go about recreating each of those situations. So if he does it for a pat...build it up until you can give him a really big exciting pat. It's probably not too hard to stop him lifting his leg while you are doing each thing, just by placing your hand in the right spot & rewarding for not lifting the leg. In other words, force/encourage him to form a new habit.

Just trying to think outside the square...

I think sometimes we spend far to much time wondering why & that time can often be better spent just fixing it.

I know training problems are very hard if not impossible to solve over the internet and I don't expect anyone to. I'm just looking to learn and keep up to date from a wide variety of sources to make sure I am offering the best in-person help I can and because the why's and how's of dog training interest me.

But that relies on YOU presenting an accurate picture. And that isn't what has occurred, it seems. That's why it is next to impossible to give an opinion (or advice for that matter) that is worth much to your specific scenario. Ummm ... because your scenario isn't specifically specific :thumbsup:.

Is this a "real" situation? From the opinions/advice/tips you gain from here, are you applying (or do you intend to apply) them to a "real" situation by way of giving advice to someone in particular? Or is it a general/theoretical question? Regardless, you need to set the scene a bit more accurately. This is why, in the course of my consultations, I ask questions of the owners. I can't rely on the owners being able to depict the details of the picture for me, nor do I expect them to. I need to know what the situation is before I can give an opinion or give advice. I pair those questions with my own observations as well, because as you see here, the picture you at first paint isn't necessarily the same picture others see.

Edited by Erny

Me saying I would do X in Y situation is an opinion. Me saying I think you should do X in Y situation is advice.

There is a difference to me, but nevermind.

It depends. If the dog was female and visiting, for mating, I MAY forgive a stud urine marker (depending on the history and training)...........as long as they did not pee on me. One on my dogs has peed on me, but I "forgave" him as he was not focused. In my humble opinion, he simply had a full bladder. Proven .......with past situations.

Edited by Lablover