If I Go To The Zoo

Kirislin

What lenses should I take. I want to travel light and my camera bag wont fit them all in. I would guess I should take the long one and I wondered about the 50 because it's so sharp and fast but would I get close enough to anything to use it? I haven't been to the zoo for 20 or more years so I dont know what it's like there now.

any suggestions, my lenses are in my siggy.

Guest Tess32

Melbourne Zoo?

Long zoom only, but the 50 is so small you could take it anyway. I doubt you'd find many places to use it - maybe the Butterfly house, MAYBE the Orangutan sanctuary. That'd be it really. I rarely use below 200mm.

Most of my photos are from Melbourne Zoo and use up to 400mm, but most were at 300mm - if you wanna check out my gallery.

Only go on an overcast day as there are still lots of glass exhibits that will reflect sunlight too much.

Would agree with Nat's lens suggestion, although I haven't been for awhile.

Butterfly house was lovely but very humid. Not sure what it is like these

days but can fog a lens/camera up. Well it did mine, temporarily.

Guest Tess32

Someone told me if you keep the camera in the bag for the first 5 mins you're in the butterfly house, it won't fog up. I tried it, and it did work, but god knows how or why, hehe.

Well I went today, before I read about leaving my camera in the bag for the first 5 mins in the butterfly house. My lens fogged up and I had to get out anyway, it was too humid for me.

the pics are just downloading now, I've got an awful feeling many will be blurred, either from too slow shutter or just that damn lens not focussing. I took almost 300 pics!! surely there's got to be a few keepers. fingers crossed.

Guest Tess32

Don't worry too much if the pics don't all turn out. People think the zoo is going to be 'easy', when you have a lot to deal with - cage bars, glass, dirty and reflective glass, dark enclosures, etc etc. Definitely takes some practice.

No, no butterfly pics due to the foggy lens. I really stuffed up the day, I forgot to take my reading glasses so I couldn't check what I'd already taken, and I am a dill, I still haven't got into the habit of at least checking the speed, so many were blurred and it probably could've been avoided if I just increased the ISO, although then they would've been very grainy/noisy. At least I am a member of FOTZ so I can go back anytime I want. Actually if any one else from here (who knows their way around a camera) is going one day I'd love to tag along. It would be great to have our own DOL educational field trip.

Guest Tess32

I go all the time so I"ll post next time I'm going. I pretty much know every enclosure like the back of my hand by now, hehe.

Maybe next week, I'm sick as a dog right now, hehe.

bugger Kirislin - I'm too slow - I was going to ask if i could meet you there.

We have the same camera (except for your new lens), and although I don't post much and don't usually venture much past "sports", I do try to at least read the posts!

Would be interested in a trip.

Annie

bugger Kirislin - I'm too slow - I was going to ask if i could meet you there.

We have the same camera (except for your new lens), and although I don't post much and don't usually venture much past "sports", I do try to at least read the posts!

Would be interested in a trip.

Annie

Well, is anyone up for a day next week? Wed is a no no for me.

Someone told me if you keep the camera in the bag for the first 5 mins you're in the butterfly house, it won't fog up. I tried it, and it did work, but god knows how or why, hehe.

there used to be some "stuff" you could buy from optometrists to stop spectacles from fogging up when opening the oven door - it came in a tub and was pink I think.

I don't have any, but do you think it would be ok to use on the lens?

Annie

I'm hoping a few more will respond to the other thread. I'd love it if some of our really experienced and knowledgable photographers could come during the week. They're all probably rolling their eyes and thinking they dont want to baby us beginners. And who could blame them :o

I'm hoping a few more will respond to the other thread. I'd love it if some of our really experienced and knowledgable photographers could come during the week. They're all probably rolling their eyes and thinking they dont want to baby us beginners. And who could blame them :o

:( well maybe you and I need to go first - and practice , then put up our pics. Then "they" might think we're worthy :)

Trouble is, the zoo is a huge day for me - it will take a half hour drive, then a 1 hr train ride just to get to the city - then of course I dread to think how much it costs to actually get in. So I won't be able to go very often :)

Hubby is off to Sydney for a few days late next week for work, so I could use his train ticket I guess while he's away. That would save a few dollars.

I think it's around $23 for an adult, I didn't pay much attention cause I get in for free being a FOTZ member, well, not really free cause I pay a membership, but I try not to think about that. :thumbsup: It's about 1 3/4 hours driving for me so it's a bit of a trek too.