Just Had The Best Fun!

I've not done any kind of formal obedience training with any of my dogs for around 8 years (terrible I know :rofl: ) other than show training with Marie & Daphne.

Tonight, however, I attended obedience with Marie for the first time and we had a ball! Okay she doesn't know how to sit or drop yet BUT she can stand, do a 10 second stay and she heels and walks on a loose lead beautifully so won't take long. I thought it would be a complete disaster but I was very pleasantly surprised. The trainer even said that at this rate we'll be moving up a class in 2 weeks :rofl: . Woohoo - I'm on a high!!!!

I'm working on having the first dual titled Fauve in Australia so wish me luck :laugh:

Yeah hopefully. She was so good - you would have been very proud of her. And here I was thinking I'd taught her nothing - didn't think about how show training has taught her to walk beautifully at my side on a loose lead and stand when I tell her to :( .

Yeah hopefully. She was so good - you would have been very proud of her. And here I was thinking I'd taught her nothing - didn't think about how show training has taught her to walk beautifully at my side on a loose lead and stand when I tell her to :( .

Stand is often the hardest command to teach Trish so you've got the trickiest part down :( It took me ages to do it with Daisy and we're still not 100%, and she'll only do it on a hand signal not voice command.

Well done Trish and Marie! It would be great to see a dual titled rarer breed.

I met Crispin the Hungarian Wire Haired Vizsla at the weekend who is the first HWV with an obedience title and he also has show titles. Great way to showcase the versatility a less common breed. :offtopic:

Funny you should mention stand, Huski as I have problems with it too, Jake just sits down. I have over trained sit, basically he thinks that is what he has to do for treats etc. It's like a reflex. If I try and get him to heel off lead and stop, he sits down. I have been trying to teach it again with mixed results this week.

Glad you enjoyed. It's great that you are both doing so well after such a long break :cheer:

We do our obedience training on a Wed night and it can't come around fast enough for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly I missed a week with work but we went back tonight to find we were in the next class. Still loving it and am really feeling like it is adding dramatically to my relationship with Marie. She is even working better in the ring for me :)

I saw you there last night I'm on holidays so I was down there finding the last few stewards for the trials. I didn't see you until after class and I was busy talking :thumbsup:. I haven't been there for years (except at trials) and I realised how much I have missed it. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

cheers

M-J

Wish you'd said hello m-j!!! I haven't done anywhere near as much obedience as you but I too have realised how much I'd enjoyed it previously. I think the big difference for me now, compared to years ago, is that I've picked up through reading and listening to people like yourself and Cosmolo so much more information. Add to that a few years experience in rescue and my confidence is much better which is helping. Will I see you there again?

I was going to but when I eventually finished nattering you were gone. No I won't be going again as I work Tues nights "sigh" It actually inspired me to think about training Katie to trialling standard and then perhaps trial her several years from now :thumbsup: We should do the occasional training session together it would really motivate me.

cheers

M-J