Puppy Sleeping On Our Bed

martymonty

Just wondering what everyones' opinion is on letting your puppy sleep in bed with you. Right now we are crating our 10 week old lab, but in the morning if she wakes up before my alarm goes off, I take her out to go pee and then I let her sleep the rest of the time in our bed (usually no more than 1 hour) She seems so much calmer when she is in our bed and I know that a lot of people let their pets sleep with them. In fact, dogs we have had in the past slept with us and once they were bigger, they went and slept on the floor. Am I doing anything wrong by letting her bunk down with us. She still goes in her crate without complaining whenever we are going out for a while.

The problem with furniture is not really that you allow your dogs on furniture, it is that they won't get off when you ask.

Problems arise when the dog does not obey your commands. Most people fail before they even start because they don't teach the dog the off command.

If you're happy with it, it's not a problem.

I'd have a few mornings a week when I put her back in her crate instead of on the bed, just so she doesn't come to expect being on the bed. But no problems with her sleeping on the bed sometimes. :thumbsup:

We have two dogs. My cocker sleeps under the bed and every morning just before my alarm goes off I hear her go out to the toilet and then she gets on the bed for a cuddle. Its wonderful. My beagle however spends all night at the bottom of the bed snuggled between mine and OH's legs. I dont mind the dog's on the bed. They sleep well and dont cause any problems. However my dogs are both quite small. They aren't large dogs that take up all the bed.

The rules for dogs on your bed are that it is YOUR bed not theirs.

You must invite them to get up and they must get down when you tell them - first time. They just can't get up uninvited.

The only other thing is that you don't want them to soil it, even accidentally and that they keep still when they are on it, so that means no games in/on the bed.

Am I doing anything wrong by letting her bunk down with us

We have 2 little 1's sleeping with us.

Our lab does on occasion,she will either move,or we move her (via legs) when she take's up to much room :thumbsup:

They are allowed on the furniture ,and when we don't want them there we tell them to "get off" and they do.

Simple :eek:

I don't know why people say that.

It's very easy to change the ground rules.

Yes it is when you know how but from reading the op posts he/she is pretty raw so it would be easier to start as you intend to finish so to speak. :thumbsup:

If you're going to do this, set the situation up so that it can be easily altered at some later date. Only have puppy up on the bed IF you have given a 'command/word' that says she may get up (even though you might be picking her up to do so at this stage) and have a word that also means to get off. And randomise the situation. Eg. Don't have her on the bed routinely nor necessarily every day. Regularity and being systematic breeds anticipation (which is good in some things, not in others). One day you don't have pup (young dog?) on your bed in the routine she is accustomed to and that can lead to difficulties. Always on "your terms". Not hers. Rules and Boundaries - something that many dogs aren't taught or taught well to our dogs by us humans.

allowing your pup onto the bed and other furniture is fine as long as you don't mind it and are prepared to allow it for the next 15 years

You need to set the ground rules now and stick to them.

I don't know why people say that.

It's very easy to change the ground rules.

Midol - for some people and with some dogs and in certain situations it is, but not always. And do you consider it fair on the dog to move the goal posts part way through the 'game' ? IMO, it is fairer on the dog and easier for it to understand us and what is expected of him/her if rules and boundaries are shown and made to be adhered to first up. As a trainer, I don't set out to train a dog in one way thinking at the time that I will change my training aim or goal to something totally different later on. That would be uneconomical from my energy and time point of view and I would have purposely put the dog through a period of unnecessary confusion, which would equate to a degree of stress as well.

If you fail to plan you plan to fail. Train with your end goal in mind.

i don't let my dog sleep in our bed at night because she likes to get onto our pillows in the middle of the night and thats very annoying to me.

So i trained her to sleep in her crate at night and only when i am watching tv in bed, she is allowed to come up and snuggle with me.

As she will grow into approx 25-28kg, i really dont want her to sleep in my bed when she is fully grown.

We spend our evenings lazing in bed after our kids are asleep so used to bring our pup Daisy in to snuggle and spend time with us.

We did crate train her but one night my OH 'forgot' to put her to bed in her crate and she stayed the night... and has been there every night since lol.

At only 4 kilos (at 19 weeks) she is not and never will be 'too big' for the bed even when the cat decides to sleep over too. We did notice she sleeps through the night now but when in her crate she would wake and want to be toileted during the night.

We still have her crate and pen set up in the lounge so on a weekend if she wakes too early we put her in it with her breaky after toileting.

Whether it's right or wrong it works for us and we have no intention of changing it. If she was going to grow up a bigger dog I probably would have trained her to sleep in a doggy bed in our room instead though.

BTW while we refuse to let our kids sleep with us (unless very sick and we want to keep a close eye on them) we welcome our pets with open arms and miss them if they are not sleeping with us. I'm not sure what that says about me as a parent LOL!

We have an Australian Shepherd on our bed every night. She's always slept there, I love it. She's a good girl, lies very still and is a fantastic snuggler. She gets off when she's told to, then lies on the floor and waits patiently til she can come back up.

All my guys, lots of over many years, have slept on my bed, in my bed, in the car,loose or crated, in their crates in the house, in their kennel and run, in the gazebo, on the floor in the caravan, on the bed in the caravan, in other people's homes, where ever they are put when it's bedtime. As long as they get accustomed as youngsters to different situations and learn that bedtime is just that I don't think 'where' comes into it.

ive had my pup sleep on my bed a few times, i usally end up taking her out at night to her kennel becasue i cant get to sleep at all when shes on my bed.

even tho she sleeps at the bottom of my doubble bed she jsut alwasy seems to be in the way, and the loud breathign and snoring, and for some reason she is like a walking heater, she makes my room far to hot and thats with the window open.

then i got an old giant bean bag we had lying around and gave her that to sleep on next to my bed, buts it to noisey when she moves around, the bean bag is now in the tv room and shes loves it. it moulds to her body in what ever postion she wants to lay down in.

A couple of mine sleep on the bed. At bedtime I say "coming onto the bed?". They used to jump up, but are too old now, so are lifted up, the one who can still jump does so. We have ground rules. Dogs sleep on the end of the bed - no sticking whiskers up people's noses at 2am, no lying on top of me, no barking, no circling, no "nest making", and there is never a problem.

They also sleep anywhere, in the show trolley, in their bed in another room, or at other peoples houses.

Works well for me. In summer, there is a long queue, as I have the fan positioned at the end of the bed, and turned on, so they like to get the breeze.

And being on the bed during any daytime naps is an invitation thing too - and it's never the old dogs, the young 'uns get a turn then.

Younger dogs must wait for a position to become available. I fear they pray for the demise of their elders!! :thumbsup:

We have never let Humphrey sleep overnight on our bed, that rule was made almost 5 yrs old and it has been followed. However, if we are on the bed reading, computering, resting, we let him on the bed after he has been invited. We use the word 'off' when we think thats enough. He is a bit of a 'nest maker' too :laugh: so he does have to be watched. Humphrey has a bed and his own part of the lounge with blankets although he loves to lay between our legs :thumbsup:. We will do the same rules for the pup when she arrives (8 days to go).

Daisy usually sleeps on my mum's bed, but every so often she will decide to come into my room and sleep on my bed. I have no idea why she changes her routine or what makes her get off mum's bed and come into mine, but it's really cute when I hear her push my door open and wait for me to say 'up you get Daisy'.

For some reason she has slept on my bed for the past two nights. She snores and grunts in her sleep :thumbsup:

Edited by huski