Lightroom Crashing

ruthless

I used to start a new catalog every time I downloaded images from my camera. I was advised that that defeats one of the main purposes of LR [no searchable database]. So, I started using just one catalog, but it keeps crashing now. I've only got 3 weeks of pics in there, so really, not that many considering some people have years worth. I'm using Ver2.3 on an Apple, OSX 10.4.11 with 1GB of RAM and 20GB of free HD space [:rofl: tell me that's my problem so I've an excuse to upgrade!].

Any ideas why?

Guest Tess32

Not enough RAM, for SURE. Mine used to crash all the time, lightroom tends to suck ram up and also leaks memory so you do need good resources for it.

And yep I have one catalogue for 10k pics.

Pooooooh! :)

I was trying to avoid an upgrade for as long as possible. I do like the idea of getting a new one and my OH having this computer though. No more grubby tradey fingerprints on my white keyboard and random files all over my desktop :rofl:

:rofl:

Are you on a Mac or PC? Macs are so damn expensive :) I might have to go to Myer and do a 12 month interest free purchase. Hopefully the GFC will be over in a year and I'll be able to pay for it then!

Guest Tess32

PC :rofl:

Cost me 2k but went for a laptop this time and was good decision, hehe. Also it's pink :) I also bought a reasonably priced external hdd so lightroom saves all the images I download off the card on both the computer and hdd, every time.

LOL I was running LR on less than 1GB RAM and it was fine, if a bit slow. I am glad that those days are done, however!!

A fact of life right now is that LR does crash now and then ... just keeps things exciting :o

More RAM is always good and since you are working on photos more often now, I'd definitely upgrade.

I've been editing on my laptop, too, for the first time since having a lappie. My old Sony Vaio sucked rocks for that sort of thing. I have a Toshiba now and I actually quite like it. Hate only having a single screen, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do sometimes :(