Large Lump

A friend of mine had her GSP (11 months old) spayed last Wednesday and over the last day or so a quite large lump has come up under the sutures. It is probably mango size maybe a little longer. It is very solid, not weeping and the external sutures are all intact.

We're 110km from the nearest vet, who is not contactable on Sundays anyway.

Any thoughts? Does it sound like something she needs to drive 400km to a vet today for?

My aussie had the same thing. My vet was concerned she had burst her internal stitches but it was because I had not kept her quiet enough. I had to keep her crated for the next week and it went away. Personally I would at least ring the vet

My aussie had the same thing. My vet was concerned she had burst her internal stitches but it was because I had not kept her quiet enough. I had to keep her crated for the next week and it went away. Personally I would at least ring the vet

I'm glad I read this now. Tilba's going in tomorrow for her spay. I'll keep her more quiet now. I know how hard it can be when they want to act normal.

Owners need to listen to their vets when they pick their dogs up after spaying.

KEEP her Quiet, Put her on the lead when going out to toilet, Don't let her run around, atleast until her sutures are removed.

I know that it is not always easy and and the dog usually feels fine the next day but ovihysterectomy is still major surgey and she does need to rest.

Mango sized? Do you mean that there is a massive lump stiching out of her the size of a mango or do you mean the length of the lump/swelling is the length of a mango?

As others have said some bitches do develop swelling around the the suture site which is rather firm.

It could be a reaction to the suture material - or could be a fluid buildup :rofl:

She should be seen by the vet... as it also 'could' be due to tearing of internal stitching.

Appreciate the vet is a distance away- but phone them, and perhaps email a couple of pics!!

keep the dog absolutely quiet.. and especially no jumping into cars/up on furniture....

Thanks for those replies guys. She will ring the vet tomorrow morning and take her down if necessary.

I have advised her no time outside off lead at all, it is very difficult to keep a boisterous young GSP quiet I will agree, she is trying but possibly not enough. I wondered about a reaction to the internal sutures too? The lump sticks out as if a mango had been cut in half and sat on her tummy if you get what I mean, it really is very large IMO.

Will see what the vet says tomorrow.

Owners need to listen to their vets when they pick their dogs up after spaying.

KEEP her Quiet, Put her on the lead when going out to toilet, Don't let her run around, atleast until her sutures are removed.

I know that it is not always easy and and the dog usually feels fine the next day but ovihysterectomy is still major surgey and she does need to rest.

I have always kept my dogs crated for the first couple of days and then monitored activity for the week after but this happened to me nearly a week after the operation. Vet said in an active dog such as an aussie complete crate rest or on lead only exercise until stiches are out. Never had an issue previously with my shelties

could be several things

- muscle swelling

- fluid lump which may need to be drained

- suture reaction

- herniation of the site and that lump may be some intestine poking through the abdominal wall

keep the dog crated at all times unless on leash and ring the vet. golf ball, eh ok livable until vet is called, mango sized on the other hand sounds like it needs veterinary attention

When my goldie was spayed, the vet told me that a lump may develop unduer the sutures, which is caused by fluid build up, and not to worry about it. It happened as he advised. She wasn't too active. Slept through most days. The lump disappeared in about two weeks.

When my goldie was spayed, the vet told me that a lump may develop unduer the sutures, which is caused by fluid build up, and not to worry about it. It happened as he advised. She wasn't too active. Slept through most days. The lump disappeared in about two weeks.

A Mango seed sized lump however is not normal, it needs to be checked out.

Update - my friend rang the vet this morning and they assured her it is nothing to worry about, could be reaction to sutures but more than likely just to much play.

So she took the pup to her mum's this morning to be under constant supervision while she is at work. The dog is not crate trained, but hopefully with someone looking after her at all times for the next week until sutures are removed all will be well.

Thanks for your help guys, think you we're all pretty on to it.

I'll be watching Tilba like a hawk from now on. I did intend putting her in her crate but because she has to wear the Elizabethan collar because she wants to scratch or bite at the stitches its rather awkward & she has a rather bad rash which is also bothering her. I'm trying to keep her quiet but when she's awake she wants to wander around the house. Did take her outside last night on lead but this morning left it off for a while & keeping her away from our other dog.