Longwinded Quandry!

I've been working from home for the last couple of months and much as I thought I'd love being around the dogs all day, they're kind of annoying me!

Ivan's fine. He's old. He gets his walk and his food and he sleeps all day.

It's the other three, they're constantly wrestling or looking for trouble of some sort :confused: When I was leaving them during the day I'd walk them and then put them in their runs with kongs or bones. Right now, I'm in my office and they're at it and it's full on and really distracting! If I tell them to stop they start again after about a minute. I can't put them in the garden cause they need to be supervised. If I put them in their runs they'll bark and carry on cause they know I'm home. Sometimes I'll put them out there with kongs, but it only keeps them quiet for about an hour. I don't want to crate them cause they sleep all night in their crates. Angel's the main instigator and I can't put her out on her own cause she'll dig under the fence. I can't put Chopper and Trixie out cause they might fight. I can't give them toys to play with cause they'll fight.

They've had an hour long walk, why aren't they asleep?!!!

I posted before about how Angel's recently started hunting everything in the garden [flies, lizards, Ivan :)]. I accept that they must be somewhat bored and unchallenged ... what are my options? Tranquilisers? Get a different breed? :)

Seeing as your home all day can you do a few short training sessions with each of the problem dogs to tire their brains out. A walk is good but if their not mentally stimulated you can walk for hours and still not tire them out. You could teach tricks, games, fun things like scent and find etc.

Alternatively what I'd do (as well as some training) is put them out in their pens and ignore them for the day or two or three or four etc until they learn that if your home and they are in their pens then they need to be quiet. If you don't give in to their barking and carrying on then they'll give up soon enough and you'll have peace and quiet. That would be my choice if in your situation.

Alternatively what I'd do (as well as some training) is put them out in their pens and ignore them for the day or two or three or four etc until they learn that if your home and they are in their pens then they need to be quiet. If you don't give in to their barking and carrying on then they'll give up soon enough and you'll have peace and quiet. That would be my choice if in your situation.

I'm too soft :) We had a barking complaint before so I'm really aware of every noise they're making and it distracts me more than the wrestling!

I guess I could do some training. I need to learn how to teach some tricks first! Their basic sits, drops and stays are quite solid, so I think it would be boring for them. Tricks could be fun. Angel's a bit special though, so it'll be a real challenge! :confused:

I'm too soft embarrass.gif We had a barking complaint before so I'm really aware of every noise they're making and it distracts me more than the wrestling!

I think there is your problem - before they have had things when THEY wanted. Now its 'COME ON WE WANNA PLAY NOW!!!"

give them a few days to settle. Conversely borrow a couple of bark collars to stop their barking and make them focus on the distraction devices you have provided.

I have a bark collar, the main offender has learned that if he whines really high it doesn't go off, so now he doesn't bark, he whines, even if he's not wearing it! :confused: I have to laugh, otherwise I'd cry!

ETA It's a good collar that works on sound and vibration :)

Edited by ruthless

aha but are they actually bored or just demanding to do what they want? Breaking of a regular habit can be difficult for a dog, but sometimes they need encouragement to redirect their energy into what has been provided. If you cannot be out there with them to let them play together and have provided them with their food in toys, bones etc then they need to learn that is what they must accept.

Not really much to add on how to stop the barking.

But if you are going to work on keeping them in their runs perhaps a letter box drop to your neighbours explaining that you are working to stop their barking etc, but it will get worse before it get's better might help with any possible complaints.

Cheers

Bob