Chicken Frames & Pancreatitis

My friend has a Jack Russell who is about 8 years old and quite over weight. He is now in hospital suffering pancreatitis. he was fed part of a chicken frame the night before the attack occured. Her vet has told her that this would have been the cause of his illness.

I have often wondered about chicken frames and the chances of pancreatitis due to the high content of fat on a frame.

I currently feed my GSD chicken frames several times week. I do cut the exess fat off them.

Has anyone heard of this before and should I be concerned about feeding my girl too many frames? I must admit I do find them handy as they are readily accessable and cheap but i wouldnt like to jeapordise her health either.

A Jack and a GSD are very different in size. I can see how a Jack getting an untrimmed frame could end up having problems, but if your GSD hasn't shown any symptoms to date I'm sure it's fine. We feed frames to our guys regularly - I hack off the purely fatty bits if there are any - and we have had no issues.

Thanks for your replys. Mica is pretty fit and active, so I thought that she would be fine. But it did get me to thinking again ;)

My SIL had a Border Collie who suffered from pancreatitis as well and was on a strict diet of lean foods as fatty foods could bring on another attack. I guess Im wondering if a diet with a high fat content can lead to pancreantitis?

The poor JRT is very overweight, doesnt do much exercise and eats way to much :) so I im sure he has other health issues contributing to his condition.

Edited by laeral

Just make sure your dog isn't overweight, my dog gets chicken frame 3 times a week, and necks for the other nights and she is fine.

However, i make sure she gets enough exercise, play in park, jogging with me in the evening.

If the pancreas isn't working, anything fatty can bring on an attack. So an UNTRIMMED chicken frame, could be a problem. But I wouldn't worry about feeding trimmed chicken frames. They are my dogs main staple, and they have very few health problems.

I think the chicken frame that dog got was not the ONLY cause but probably what tipped him over the edge. Overweight little dog would be swimming in fat regularly, probably eating a lot of processed fats as well which dont help.

I feed carcasses as well but keep the dogs trim. And yes, the size difference between a JRT and a GSD is considerable :laugh: if you fed your dogs maybe a whole 10kg at once you may see a problem :cry:

our breed is highly pre disposed to this issue & a controlled diet is a must.

Like Nekhbet said .i too belive it would have been the final straw diet wise that pushed it over.

But yes excess fat can cause this issue & its becoming more & more common with people feeding raw but giving to much fat

Thanks for your replys everyone.

I shall worry a little less now :)

I was pretty sure it was Ok to feed her frames but just wanted to check what others thoughts were. My friends JRT is not a very healthy dog, and probably would have become ill at some point anyway, but it brought the issue of feeding frames to mind. Yes I have tried to talk to her about diet and so has the vet. She changed vets when they suggested he was overweight :rofl:

Mica is a very active GSD, lives on a property and gets lots of exercise. On top of her normal walks she comes out on long rides with the horses several times a week so im not really concerned about feeding frames. I will just be extra careful about trimming the fat off.

Thanks again :)

My friend has a Jack Russell who is about 8 years old and quite over weight. He is now in hospital suffering pancreatitis. he was fed part of a chicken frame the night before the attack occured. Her vet has told her that this would have been the cause of his illness.

I have often wondered about chicken frames and the chances of pancreatitis due to the high content of fat on a frame.

I currently feed my GSD chicken frames several times week. I do cut the exess fat off them.

Has anyone heard of this before and should I be concerned about feeding my girl too many frames? I must admit I do find them handy as they are readily accessable and cheap but i wouldnt like to jeapordise her health either.

Hi! I also started a thread asking about chicken frames ... you might like to have a read if you haven't already ..

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=chicken+frames

or just look under Health/Nutrition/Grooming for my thread "Chicken Frames" :)

As for the Cause . . .

"Multiple factors can contribute to the development of pancreatitis. Certain medications, infections; metabolic disorders including hyperlipidemia (high amounts of lipid in the blood) and hypercalcemia (high amounts of calcium in the blood); obesity; and trauma and shock can be associated with the development of pancreatitis. Middle-aged dogs appear to be at increased risk of developing pancreatitis; as a breed, Schnauzers and Yorkshire terriers appear to be more prone to pancreatitis. Nutrition also plays a role. Dogs with diets high in fat, dogs who have recently gotten in to the trash or have been fed table scraps, or dogs who 'steal' or are fed greasy 'people food' seem to have a higher incidence of the disease. In addition, dogs who have previously had pancreatitis or abdominal surgery appear to be more at risk."

source:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335 for full text