Barkly Has Gone All Itchy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Puggy about holding off on the Malaseb, it's unneccessary and at this stage would probably make him itchier. I would just give him a soothing bath in ALoveen and make sure it is thoroughly rinsed off.

With any luck he is itchy simply because the groomer didn't wash out all the product (which happens all too often), or they use a crap shampoo (which also happens alot).

Re. the Artemis, my sometimes itchy dog has been doing well on it, but his poos are frequent and sloppy so I think we will switch back to Eagle Pack.

Interesting isn't it! If you reverse the brands that's what's happened with Zig - looked great on EP but the poos were awful!

ETA: Just thought I'd clarify that I'm really, really happy with Artemis.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

At the beginning of February I changed my black labs over to Artemis Fresh Mix for med/large senior breeds and normally they only get fed 1 cup of dry food 4 mornings a week and a variety of raw food for their evening meal on these days as well and on the other 3 days, I feed only raw food for both morning and evening meals. About a week ago, I put them all on a diet as 2 of the 3 needed to lose a couple of kilos each so I put all 3 of them on one cup of Artemis for morning meal and 1 cup of Artemis for evening meal as I find it easier to use dry food when I want them to drop some kilos as easier to measure. Since I have changed them over to Artemis and particularly this last week when they have only been eating Artemis, 2 of them have dandruff and one of these two is quite itchy and scratching himself frequently.

I could kick myself for changing over to Artemis as I was just saying in another thread that I had changed from Nutrience because 2 of my labs had developed itchy skin and dandruff and I changed from Nutrience to Natural Balance (not the Dick Van Patten Natural Balance, but the Australian Natural Balance from WA) and found that the dandruff and itchiness had disappeared after a couple of weeks of eating Natural Balance. I thought I would change over to Artemis as had read some good things about it and I went against my own advice in another thread on dry food, where I said if you find a good dry food that your dog(s) do well on, then stick with it and what did I do :thumbsup: This morning, I placed an order for 2 bags of Natural Balance and will start the swapover for the 2 with skin problems when the Natural Balance arrives, as I still have a 13.2kg bag of Artemis left so will leave my other boy that doesn't have any skin problems on the Artemis until it is finished and also convert him back to Natural Balance with a half and half until the Artemis is finished.

I am extremely disappointed in the results from Artemis as there is so much hype about this food and coupled with the price of $111 for a 13.2 kg bag plus $7 postage, I definitely did not expect such a poor outcome with the itchiness and danduff in 2 of my labs :mad . At least with Natural Balance, I know the itchiness will disappear after a couple of weeks and the cost is much lower at $76.00 for an 18kg bag and $6.00 for delivery no matter how many bags I order. :thumbsup: I will not swap dry food again :laugh:( why oh why did Nutro have to be banned :rofl: , my dogs did brilliantly on it). I will probably also increase their raw only days from 3 to 4.

The comments about Artemis have been really interesting, I have seriously been thinking of changing Cherry over onto it from Royal Canin. I just realised her small breed senior mix is very different in ingredients to the normal adult range (that I have fed previously) and the first ingredient is maize... so I am looking for something else to feed her.

Highly unlikely to be caused by the products this groomer uses as I know for a fact they are top quality and as natural as possible. And she is very thorough, does a first class job.

I think you have answered your own question when you mention you have changed his diet. I'd go back to what you were feeding, and add some fish oil, or better still, go natural and lose the chemicals.

Also, have you looked for clues in the garden? Wandering jew perhap?

Pet hate here.

Everything is made up of chemicals. There isn't a single thing in existance that isn't made up of chemicals.

Hi Like, some good suggestions here. You might also try rinsing him after his bath with apple cider vinegar in water - about 1/2 cup to 4 litres of water should do it. If it doesn't work, it wont do any harm, and it often does help dogs with non specific itchies. :cry:

Hi Like, some good suggestions here. You might also try rinsing him after his bath with apple cider vinegar in water - about 1/2 cup to 4 litres of water should do it. If it doesn't work, it wont do any harm, and it often does help dogs with non specific itchies. :cry:

Thanks - I've got some of that here too.

I have him some Polaromine tonight - he's sleeping now.

I'd not heard of the "rinse with ACV" before, so found it an interesting idea. JulesP .... did you dilute it first before you used it on yourself?

Edited by Erny

Do you have orange jesomay/ muraya in your back yard?

What's wrong with it? :thumbsup: It smells beautiful and I recently bought two lovely pots of it for my courtyard.

Nothing wrong as such - another dane owner I was talking to yesterday mentioned it in relation to her dog's itchies and Boo has been itchy since mine has been in flower too - might be the pollens from them.

Do you have orange jesomay/ muraya in your back yard?

What's wrong with it? :cool: It smells beautiful and I recently bought two lovely pots of it for my courtyard.

I've not heard of this being a common problem for dogs? :thumbsup:

Me neither and I googled it first to check as Gertie is a skin issue dog.

Mine practically flowers all the time wiht only a weeks break in between. Her itchiness hasn't increased since having them but I will keep an eye on it though.

Good thing I didn't do the whole garden with them like I wanted to :thumbsup:

Barkly sounds like he has the EXACT same problem we just had with Asher.

Asher slowly started getting itchy over a period of about 4 weeks, then it got to the point where he just would not stop itching.... it was getting annoying for us, poor bugger must have been going through hell.

Got that bad that we could barely even touch anything on him.

Took him to the Vet just over a week ago.

Vet mentioned plants that might be a prob in our yard, but the only one familiar to us was the Wandering Jew and Rhoeo (same family) but neither of those were in the back yard.

Lets take a step back now.

Asher Loves to walk through long grasses, hanging bushes, spiky uncomfortable looking plants and anything to that description. At the end of our walks, down the driveway, Asher loves to jump into the Wandering Jew/Rhoeo that grows all the way along.

Fast forward to the morning after the Vet visit..... driving up the driveway to work.... BOOM! got my answer.

Long story ending soon...... The Vet put Asher on a course of Cortisone which took the itching away in under 12 hours and pretty much every other sign of his allergy within 48 hours.

He is no longer allowed to keel over and roll in any bush/grass/shrub I am unfamiliar with.

Any other advice I got from the DOLers. Dont wash more than twice monthly, introduce fish and or fish oil and primrose oil to his diet, etc, I think you know the rest.

Final thought Springer style....... Asher only rolled in the Wandering Jew for at the most 30 seconds each time, max 6 times a week. Doesnt take much.

Barkly sounds like he has the EXACT same problem we just had with Asher.

Asher slowly started getting itchy over a period of about 4 weeks, then it got to the point where he just would not stop itching.... it was getting annoying for us, poor bugger must have been going through hell.

Got that bad that we could barely even touch anything on him.

Took him to the Vet just over a week ago.

Vet mentioned plants that might be a prob in our yard, but the only one familiar to us was the Wandering Jew and Rhoeo (same family) but neither of those were in the back yard.

Lets take a step back now.

Asher Loves to walk through long grasses, hanging bushes, spiky uncomfortable looking plants and anything to that description. At the end of our walks, down the driveway, Asher loves to jump into the Wandering Jew/Rhoeo that grows all the way along.

Fast forward to the morning after the Vet visit..... driving up the driveway to work.... BOOM! got my answer.

Long story ending soon...... The Vet put Asher on a course of Cortisone which took the itching away in under 12 hours and pretty much every other sign of his allergy within 48 hours.

He is no longer allowed to keel over and roll in any bush/grass/shrub I am unfamiliar with.

Any other advice I got from the DOLers. Dont wash more than twice monthly, introduce fish and or fish oil and primrose oil to his diet, etc, I think you know the rest.

Final thought Springer style....... Asher only rolled in the Wandering Jew for at the most 30 seconds each time, max 6 times a week. Doesnt take much.

Thanks huskyheaven

I live in an apartment complex with manicured grounds - lots of different plants and ground covers.

Our gardeners don't come back to work until Tuesday so I have been able to check with them whether there's any wandering jew.

Just now I did a search and found that it's green and purple.

We have some green and purple ground cover nearby that doesn't quite look like the pictures of wandering jew that I found but...

Barkly does like walking through it and it could be related.

I reckon we might have found the culprit.

Anyway - he's of to boarding for a few days in the morning - I'lll check with the gardeners on Tuesday what the plant is.

And I'll make sure he stays away from it when he gets back from the kennel.

Thanks heaps.