Loose Lead, Taught Lead, Pulling

Everybody talks about loose lead. Is that a figure of speech, indicating no pull, or is it really best for leads to be loose -- that is, to sag in the middle or drag on the ground?

I walk my four together on 1.8 m leads. My preference, which they mostly observe, is for the leash to be taught without pulling. I guess I got into this with tracking, where a taught lead allows better communication with the dog. If the leads really go slack, I have a lot more trouble with feet getting tangled and I feel that I have less control. One, in particular, occasionally pulls for a meter or two when there's a smelly treat by the side of the road (eg kitty cruncher), but I correct her with the lead when this happens . . . she doesn't like correction and mostly resists the urge.

Is there something wrong with taught leads?

As long as there is no pressure on the lead and I could hold it with 1 finger I don't care how loose the lead is. This is for normal walking. When the leads are loopy the dogs always seem to get their legs over it, which is annoying.

i feel as long as the dog is not pulling then that's ok. i also walk more than one at a time and prefer longer leads so they are able to have a sniff along the way, rarely do they pull and they back off as soon as there is pressure on their collars, so for me i consider it loose lead walking.

I consider loose lead walking to be anytime my dogs aren't physically pulling on the lead. Being at the end of the lead is fine.

Like JulesP said if I can hold them on one finger then they are loose lead walking.

Bear.

Edited to change are to aren't. :birthday:

Edited by FaxonandBear

Everybody talks about loose lead. Is that a figure of speech, indicating no pull, or is it really best for leads to be loose -- that is, to sag in the middle or drag on the ground?

Not a figure of speech. I aim for just a soft loop in the lead without it also being in the way for either myself or the dog I'm handling to trip over.

For someone who has been dealing with a dog pulling so much it's painful for your arm socket and not enjoyable at all, having him walk on a loose lead is an absolute gem! :rolleyes: (At last it seems to be sinking in.)

I like to have a little lag in the lead only because he 'tests' the tension and if I don't watch what he's doing he quickly ends up pulling before it's realised.

When my boy is walking normally he is expected to be to my immediate left - basically touching my side.

When he is "released" for a casual stroll and to sniff, toilet etc - he is allowed to the end of the leash but definately no pulling.