I Talked Someone Out Of Getting A Puppy

Very OT.. But we've decided we want a male Malamute in the next few years :rofl: They are not the dog for everyone

No but in the right home they do just fine. Not a good choice for someone likely to struggle with enforcing very clear boundaries on an ongoing basis.

I'm so glad she thought about what you said Kelpie-i.

A good friend of mine said to me only a couple of weeks ago after acquiring an adult Lab and a pup about 12mths later...."I thought when you told me all about how Labs were you were saying all of that because you disliked Labs, now I realise everything you said was true!!"

The dogs are in no danger of course, but it just goes to show when I was only being brutally honest her perception of what I was telling her was different. :)

Mel.

I definitely think you did the right thing too, I remember when I was a lot less experienced and first moved out of home, I wanted to either get a kelpie or a beagle. Bloody hell, even though I work with animals I still would not get either breed! They don't suit what I want in a dog (well, a kelpie does, but I don't have the room, baww) and I had never actually owned a dog at that point. Now I own two, I am still learning every day and would not even get a breed like a mallie as my next dog, as I feel I won't know enough even then.

And the coat! Her parents would have been driven mad!

As a sometime breeder, living (or renting - dogs cost money) with her parents would worry me, also her age. So many teenagers or young adults, naturally move out of home and their circumstances change.

Thumbs up on her enquiring about training before receiving the pup.

I think the reason I feel so bad is that this person was eager to get the pup into training so it could have worked out for her but my gut feeling was that this was going to end disastrous.

She was extremely upset about cancelling the puppy as she had her heart set on it. Had even gone into my OH's store and purchased collar, lead etc etc. :o

I spoke to her at length today about her lifestyle and activity level etc and the more I heard the more I could sense this was not going to be the right dog for her. The pup was going to be a male.

She must have known in her heart you were right, otherwise nothing you said would have made her change her mind. I think you did well :)

Thumbs up on her enquiring about training before receiving the pup

Yes I totally agree LL. I think it may have been her (and her family's) saving grace.

I haven't heard from her today and I hope she has gone off to research the list of breeds I recommended to her. I also told her that when she had chosen a breed to contact the Dogs Vic and ask for a list of reputatable breeders. I did the best I could, I suppose, and I would dearly love to see her with new newly chosen breed at training in the near future.

I can certainly understand how anyone can fall in love with a cute puppy but I don't think she was totally aware as to the size and calibre of such a breed as an adult.

I will call her in a few days if I haven't heard from her to see what she has decided on (if she has decided) and I will let you guys know.

I really do feel better about my decision to talk her out of it and I am sure that most people would have done the same. It's still a hard thing to do though...but sometimes we have to tell it like it is.

Thumbs up on her enquiring about training before receiving the pup

Yes I totally agree LL. I think it may have been her (and her family's) saving grace.

I haven't heard from her today and I hope she has gone off to research the list of breeds I recommended to her. I also told her that when she had chosen a breed to contact the Dogs Vic and ask for a list of reputatable breeders. I did the best I could, I suppose, and I would dearly love to see her with new newly chosen breed at training in the near future.

I can certainly understand how anyone can fall in love with a cute puppy but I don't think she was totally aware as to the size and calibre of such a breed as an adult.

I will call her in a few days if I haven't heard from her to see what she has decided on (if she has decided) and I will let you guys know.

I really do feel better about my decision to talk her out of it and I am sure that most people would have done the same. It's still a hard thing to do though...but sometimes we have to tell it like it is.

What does she "desire", a pet or specific competition (obedience etc/other (ie herding) dog?

You did the right thing, When i was young, and jsut left home, I decided I wanted a pup, The woman I boarded with, said fine, but it must be white and fluffy, She even took me up to croyden market and helped me pick out a "cute" puppy (Maltese, westie cross) Whisky was a great dog, but, I should never have got him! After I left the house where I was boarding (As this young woman will undoubtedlyleave home eventually) I found it nigh on impossible to find places to live that allowed dogs (And sneaking a dog past landlords really did not work) Eventually Whisky had to be rehomed (I did find a good home for him, but to this day regret having to let him go) (And assurances from the new owner that I could visit turned out to be so much hot air) Now I am in a much more settled life (Husband kids etc) and having dogs is good. But I see so many dogs available, free to good home, moveing and can

t take dog. Many young people want a dog...Few landlords allow them. (Tell her to get a budgie)

I was hoping that you would follow-up with her, so she doesn't feel "left out in the cold" - very professional of you. I wish I had someone to "hold my hand" when we were looking for a dog - would have made it soooo much easier. We were lucky that we ended up with the right dogs for us, but it would have been nice to have a second opinion.

I think you did the right thing.

I had a referred lady call me about purchasing a Dobermann puppy. She had the option of a show breeder who raised them in a home, or security dogs raised with their dam (she thought the mother was a male, she was so huge and muscly)

hmmmm average working family with two small girls doesnt need a security line Dobe. Yes even a show line dobe will protect the property.

It sounds like you handled it beautifully, Kelpie-i. From the inbformation given, I would have done the same thing.

And all credit to the lady for thinking about what you said, and being brave enough to call the breeder & cancel. That says a lot about her character, and I'm sure with some help & guidance she will be able to find a puppy that will suit her, and do really well with it.

Malmutes are a "lot of dog" for a household where only a third of the residents want a dog!!! :thumbsup: I'm sure there are a million & one other dogs that owuld be better suited, that the parents would be able to come to a compromise on.

No but in the right home they do just fine. Not a good choice for someone likely to struggle with enforcing very clear boundaries on an ongoing basis.

Of course the fact that she was soflty spoken doesn't at all mean she would necessarily have any trouble with setting boundaries. The best dog handlers I have met have no need to be anything else.

You did the right thing Kelpie-i. They are a breed that pays heavily for their cute looks I think, anyone who wanted a dog like that who had no better reason that its appearance, and also had a housing situation where a big shedding dog was likely to be unwelcome, really needed to rethink.

You did everyone involved, her, her family and the pup, a favour. Even the breeder whether they know that or not.

Edited by Diva

Update!!

I just got off the phone with the lady and she has decided on a breed....She has decided to go with the Cavvy :love:

Bless her heart, she was still hurting over the malamute and asked whether there were any first time owners that I knew of, who obtained a malamute and were okay with the dog. This was a tricky one and I had to be careful not to brand her as inadequate but I think she was happy with my answer. I did also mention about the amount of shedding the mal does which I didn't think of initially.

I gave her the Vic Dogs website details but if anyone here knows of any really good cavvy breeders that would be great. I would be happy to pass on their details to her.

I wouldn't even want a Mal and I'm a spitz fanatic and strongly attracted to hard breeds! Just not that kind of hard. :love:

See, introduce her to Finnish Lapphunds. Everyone thinks Kivi is a Mal, but he's a much more managable size, he's a hopeless softie, dead easy to train adores other dogs and other people, and Lappies are, IMHO, cuter. :love: Plus they love cuddles. I am totally warming up for a harder dog, but I don't want to dump myself in it, which is why I didn't go from a Corgi to a Basenji or something. Raising Kivi has been so good for telling me where I'm going to have problems if I had a harder dog, but with Kivi the problems are never as bad as they could be because he's not very driven and he's very relaxed and amiable. So I've been able to afford to mess up with Kivi and now I know where I will do things differently with something harder.

So don't feel bad. If she ended up with a Lappie instead because of your intervention, she would be eternally grateful to you. :love:

ETA Never mind, I'm sure she will be happy with a Cav, although that is a big difference to a Mal!

Edited by corvus

Corvus, the lady actually made some enquiries about a Lappie and spoke with a breeder who refused to sell her a puppy because she works during the day.

Now whilst I can understand that a puppy requires much attention in the early weeks, I find this an absolutely silly reason not to sell a pup to a person who seems genuinly interested in owning a dog and has done all the right things so far, albeit with a little guidance, to ensure she is getting a good quality pup and the right breed for her. She was even going to take a couple of weeks off work to stay home and care for the pup and is, of course, ready to commence training.

It is this kind of scrutiny that may lead this person to go and buy a pet shop puppy....fingers crossed she doesn't.

Sorry, just had to vent! :rofl:

Aww, what a shame! My breeder knew we were both going to be working all day and she was okay with that. I only took one week off. I agree, if I were getting raked over the coals and being told I didn't deserve a puppy every time I spoke to a breeder I'd be inclined to avoid them as well. It's certainly a breeder's right to decide if they want their puppy to go to someone or not, but I don't think it helps to be intensely critical of someone who is actually trying to do the right thing.

You did the right thing.

Of the 5-6 husky/mal crosses at your classes today imo, only one of them (maybe two) should have actually owned the dog that they did. I'm making a judgment based on only 1 hour but that was enough for me.

btw, not saying your classes weren't good, they were, we were very impressed I am just saying that those specific owners should not have gotten the dogs that they had. I don't even know if you realise that it was me either :)

----

I've never met a trainer with real experience with huskies (as in over at least 30-40 individuals) who has come away saying they like training Huskies. Some of the instructors at the NDTF said Huskies were the least enjoyable breed to train due to their stubborness and a few said they were the hardest breeds they have ever experienced. Generalising, but I'd never ever recommend a Husky for someone unless I know for certain they could control them. They are not easy to train or to live with imo.

Edited by Just Midol