What Solids To Start A Puppy On?

Eaglepack is a very good medium - high quality food. it is all very natural. i feed my Heeler x Coolie on it and he does very well. his coat is beautiful and he is a good weight.

if you are wanting a more natural diet for the dog, chicken and rice is always a favourite, along with Kangaroo (no fat), beef, ox cheek etc, and bones! just be careful you are of course only feeding raw bones, as cooked bones can splinter in their systems. Also ensure the bones you are feeding arent too big for the puppy, as too much bone can make them constipated and get stomach issues (i found this out the hard way when my dog decided to eat an entire bone i wasnt planning on him eating entirely!)

Good luck! what breed is he?

royal canin have a formula for weaning puppies. It can be rehydrated into a mush and then the pup is weaned onto the tiny kibble, I've heard very good things about it. Its the packet with the British Bulldog feeding a litter on the packet.

i have never used Eukaneuba and never plan to just because it has grains like wheat etc that dogs cant digest (same as for Hills Science Diet). it also has a sort of caramel addative to it which is also not good for dogs (sorta like Schmackos - full of sugary products which is why they "go wacko" and love to eat it so much). My nana had her dogs on Euk for a long time and they got overweight from eating it (even thought she was sticking to the required amounts to feed), and the vet told her to take them off it.

Royal Canin is a good food, however make sure you get the right food for the dog. They have breed specific foods, or general foods which also work.

Personally i think a raw diet is very good to feed dogs, as they are carnivores and need meat. (you wouldnt see wolves in the wild looking for dry kibble lol) i know that sounds odd but think about it...and even if your friend decides to go with kibble only, try and make it interesting by adding a little chicken or something to it. Sardines are a personal favourite of my dogs...fantastic for coat and digestive system (as well as a raw egg for this purpose) - just the cheap cans from coles or somewhere...just to keep meal times interesting! i wouldnt like to eat the same thing every meal... :eek:

being a large breed of dog, make sure she gets the right amount of Protein to help the puppy grow properly, and only small, frequent meals so it is not guzzling its food and getting tummy aches.

i hope this info sorta helps a little...

To start weaning our pups, I scrape some steak or push minced steak through a sieve and just offer this to them on my finger. This will soon get their interest. I also use Advance Puppy Rehydratable mixed with Biolac. This goes down right to a mush and mixing it with the Biolac also makes it runnier and then you can make things more solid as they get older.

Take things at their pace and always put them back to mum straight afterwards.

Good luck - your friend is getting to the fun bit :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info, I have passed in on & she can take it from there. :thumbsup:

I am just starting to change my crew to raw, its rather a scary :) but I'm enjoying learning more about it. Just getting the right balance is tricky but I'm sure the more I read the more I'll learn. (I hope) :laugh:

Advance puppy rehyrdratable (dry food) mixed with Biolac or Goats or Lactose Free milk (UHT available in supermarket). The puppy rehydratable is really small kibble and easily softened.

I just cover the dry food wiht some boiling water, cover for 10 minutes then add the milk to speed up the process of making it mush. I also mix some mince (beef, pork or lamb) through as well.

I dont believe in Farax or weetbix. No nutritional value in it.