Raw Diet And Elbow Dysplasia

I've become increasingly aware of the option to put my dogs on a raw diet. I'm starting to hunt down books, web sites etc to get as much information as I can before I start down this road.

I have two Rhodesian Ridgeback x's, one of which is 2 and a half years old and healthy, the other who has just turned one and has mild elbow dysplasia.

I'm wondering if anybody has had to tailor the raw diet to meet the specific requirements of a dog with ED? I understand that the energy levels and amount of protein and calcium need to be carefully managed in dogs with ED, and am wondering how you go about monitoring and controlling that with raw diets? I want to make sure I am very precise and gather as much information as possible.

If anybody has had related experience I would love to hear it. Also, any suggestions for beginning in the world of raw would be much appreciated. I plan to get Dr Billinghurst's books and start there. I am also curious about how people find the pre-packaged BARF foods - are they as good as DIY?

Thank you in advance :thumbsup:

Hi :rainbowbridge:

I have two labradors, my younger one (14 months) who has ED - he has had operations (arthroscopy)(sp) on both his elbows to remove any fractured bits. He recovered really well, and I started him on Joint Guard as I thought it couldn't hurt, and maybe help.

I am a huge advocate of raw feeding, although I am very wary of the damage that can be done especially with large breeds in the growth phases when they are not receiving the balance they need for proper growth. At the moment I am feeding thru what I have left of Orijen and also raw being chicken wings, necks, mince, lamb necks and flaps, beef necks, kangaroo meat and tails, salmon, sardines, eggs, sometimes dinner leftovers small amounts. He seems to be going really well on this diet - altho I am always looking for info which means I can adapt anything so he is better of in light of ED and already formed arthritis.

A popular notion (and by notion, I mean I need to do more reading on this myself - but I have come across it numerous times before when I was doing some research) is that for dogs with arthritis, a diet low or with no carbs can be beneficial.

Anyway I am looking forward to the other posts for this topic - good luck for you and your ridgies.

ETA cos I can't spell

Edited by LabRADor

Anyway I am looking forward to the other posts for this topic - good luck for you and your ridgies.

Ah its good to hear I'm not alone! I didn't know about the carbs thing, I've only heard comments about overall energy value of the food and amount of protein. I understand what you are saying about growth rates - we spent a lot of time ensuring my youngest wasn't growing too fast.

Donny (my RR with ED) has been on Joint Guard for ages and its been good, I think. There is a newer product on the market allegedly a bit better called Glyde, though I've not tried it myself and am only basing that on what my vet has told me.

Did you do the whole Cartrophen injections thing?

It seems we will both be waiting to see if anybody can offer specific nutritional advice! :rainbowbridge: Here's hoping!

Hi,

I've been raw feeding my new pup and have noticed that he seems to be growing quite fast, certainly a lot faster than my previous girl who was mostly raised on super premium EP Holistic Select with the odd chicken carcass thrown in.

Is there a danger with raw feeding causing dogs to grow too quickly? At the moment my boy is 5.5 mths and is on one cup of EP in the morning and for dinner alternates between RMBs - chicken wings, carcasses, necks, lamb shanks, flaps, lamb hearts, ox tongue/cheek, sardines (whole fresh) with yoghurt and an egg once a week. He looks very shiny and healthy but just seems to be 'bigger' than some other staffords his age.. Should I be concerned at all?

stella speak to your breeder and see if your dog is growing at an acceptable rate. EP grows dogs slowly, they take a little longer to reach their full potential which lessens the strain on their growing bones (especially giant breeds) Also different lines grow at different rates.

Paws4thought having a dog that is hip and elbow displaysic, skin allergies and dietary sensitivities I found a good giant breed dry as the base and supplement with chicken carcasses, lamb flaps, table scraps etc was the best diet for him. He also got chiro, acupuncture and human glucosamine supplements. I found Cartrophen injections to be useless for him and made no difference, in fact he got worst, BUT I have seen many dogs benefit from them. It depends what the actual problem is, if he has a piece of bone floating etc.

high protein and fat diets do grow them faster, the problem is when your calcium:phosphorous ratio is out for the breed. This is why I tend to cringe when high meat/fat diets are given to giant breeds :rolleyes:

Ah its good to hear I'm not alone! I didn't know about the carbs thing, I've only heard comments about overall energy value of the food and amount of protein. I understand what you are saying about growth rates - we spent a lot of time ensuring my youngest wasn't growing too fast.

Donny (my RR with ED) has been on Joint Guard for ages and its been good, I think. There is a newer product on the market allegedly a bit better called Glyde, though I've not tried it myself and am only basing that on what my vet has told me.

Did you do the whole Cartrophen injections thing?

It seems we will both be waiting to see if anybody can offer specific nutritional advice! :confused: Here's hoping!

I've definately noticed a difference with River on Joint Guard, he seems to be more playful and 'puppylike' which is how he should be at his age. From what I can see I think he doesn't seem to be in as much pain. I hate the fact that he has arthritus at such a young age, it breaks my heart.

He hasn't had any Cartrophren injections. He seems to be doing well after the arthroscopic surgeries and then Joint Guard daily. I am trying to work out the best things to be feeding him, but its really all guess as you go. My main thoughts are to make sure I am doing the best for him so he will be as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. I want my wiggly bum to live into old age with grey whiskers :cry:

I have been trying to take him to the beach for some swimming/wading/beach running every week but the weather has been crapola lately.

I'm going to look into diet and arthritus more this week so will post anything I learn. One thing I will admit to is on feeding a totally raw diet, I was well aware of the importance of pups not growing too fast but maybe less aware of how hard it is to get the calcium:phos ratio correct (as nekhbet pointed out).

Google " TOM LONSDALE" you will get a great deal of info from his books.

I have ever only feed my dogs a raw meaty bone diet and would not trust anything. Tom became my vet some 15 years ago whilst I was living in Sydney and I am so glad I got to learn from him.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I found once a few websites allegedly linked higher protein diets with increased chances of ED and OCD.

I have formatted my computer since then and no longer have the links.

It could be worth researching. Especially if you have growing puppies/dogs.

Basically it warned about high(er) protein diets and quick growth leading to increased risk