Shutter Or Aperture Priority

Vickie

The shot of the little dog would have been with the 90-300mm lens and was cropped from a slightly wider shot.

Depending on the camera when it comes from changing from well lit to back lit (which would happen as you follow them) the best thng to learn is to flip the aperture with your thumb on the wheel on the back of the camera (if its like the 40D with the 'wheel' on the back). However I don't like backlit photos unless the dog is actually white (and white dogs I take pics of with the f stop one higher so instead of F8 in the sun its F9) so when I use to do dog agility I would pic a number of jumps all that were well lit. Black dogs Id just drop an f stop and they defiantely need full light or you get no detail.

Was fun but I dont do it anymore as people expect to pay the same price as they would in Big W for an enlargement and I was just too expensive - there are club members with base level SLRs who happily sell for just over that price these days and just snap away (no not nice crisp focus shots but better than your average point and shoot camera). And people would get hostile at the clubs that I went to as they thought their privacy had been breached by the club when I had found their addresses in the Royal Show catalogue which was freely available to the public for proofs to be sent to. And then the club would get hostile to me and say I shoudl have gone to lengths to advise where I had their info from etc.