Shutter Or Aperture Priority

Vickie

Someone asked me which I use. I use Aperture & told them but I don't feel I explained why very well.

What are your thoughts? Which do you use & why?

I find it doesn 't really matter, even though I shoot in aperture priority 90% of the time.

As long as I keep an eye on the exposure, I can use aperture and ISO to control the shutter speed when in aperture priority anyway.

The only time I really use shutter priority is when I need to set a maximum shutter speed - ie. when I want to introduce motion blur. So if I'm panning, I'll set the shutter speed to 1/60 say, and let the aperture increase to whatever's needed to maintain that shutter speed.

For action shots you want to be able to put it on 1/1000th or higher and then set an aperture to suit (and have ISO on 400).

That way you freeze the action rther than get movement blur.

So I guess that would be shutter priority??? Can't remember I use Manual and for sunny days the setting is 1/1000th, F8 and ISO 400 and then change aperture as needed to keep the marker in the middle while pointing lens at the grass (if you have sky it will get the wrong light reading and generally dont have a horse standing there waiting for camera to be setup).

In Canons also for moving subjects you need to have the focus on AI Servo for moving objects.

Edited by rubiton

I always use AP.

Reason is - I almost always set it to the max aperture because I rarely do landscape etc. This by default obviously gives me the highest shutter speed I can get and as I rarely want a low shutter speed, I don't have to worry about it.

Even when shooting lure coursing, I still use it on AP because having it on the max ap is going to give me the highest SS I can get anyway AND the DOF I want.

The only times I've used shutter priority is by accident (hehe) or when doing a long exposure. I find it makes more sense for me to control the light via the aperture and ISO rather than setting the SS.

Thanks everyone, it seems we are divided.

I guess the reason I mainly use AP is because of the shots I typically take & the lense I use to take them.

For Agility shots, I use my 70-300. I find I am generally shooting at just under full zoom. I want a DOF, so the subject is clear & background a bit blurred so want the biggest aperture I can get. With my particular lense, I find anything bigger than F8 reduces the sharpness of the shot. I tend to use the ISO to control my shutter speed & so long as I am getting 6-800 up, it seems to produce an OK shot. Because different dogs move at different rates, I don't always need an extremely high shutter speed. I think if I shot in SP, the high aperture would riun some of my shots b/c I am limited by my lense.

Does that make sense? Please point out if my logic is flawed somewhere.

Thanks everyone, it seems we are divided.

I guess the reason I mainly use AP is because of the shots I typically take & the lense I use to take them.

For Agility shots, I use my 70-300. I find I am generally shooting at just under full zoom. I want a DOF, so the subject is clear & background a bit blurred so want the biggest aperture I can get. With my particular lense, I find anything bigger than F8 reduces the sharpness of the shot. I tend to use the ISO to control my shutter speed & so long as I am getting 6-800 up, it seems to produce an OK shot. Because different dogs move at different rates, I don't always need an extremely high shutter speed. I think if I shot in SP, the high aperture would riun some of my shots b/c I am limited by my lense.

Does that make sense? Please point out if my logic is flawed somewhere.

Makes sense to me. It makes more sense to me to decide on the aperture first in most instances, because you need to decide on an appropriate DOF no matter what the shot.

To those that 'control' using various things - why dont you just use the manual settings? You are pretty much there trying to stop or encourage various shutter speeds or apertures anyway and then you know what the camera will take the shots on.

dog6.jpg

The above image was taken on ISO 400, F8 1/1000th second and the focus was manual on the jump as well. But even at 1000th it didn't freeze his tail! I would not sacrifice speed in any sports - in low light I go to 5.6 aperture then will try 800 ISO and finally then start to lower the speed.

7Blacks-A-Fake-ID-finish.jpg

This image was on 800 ISO, f 5.6 or F4 and I think 1/500th due to it being at night (and had to be lightened a touch in photoshop). It was also taken with the 350D as the 10D was doing weird stuff in low light conditions.

7Danedina10.jpg

And this shot ws taken in near darkness for an afternoon and was on 1000 ISO (wasnt sure about grain but it was that or worthless image) and either F4 or 5.6 plus I think 350 or 500th shutter speed (it also had the highlight tool slightly used from photoshop) - I was mighty impressed with the 40D being able to get this result on the day

Edited by rubiton

dog6.jpg

What lense did you use for this one Rubiton? and what was the FL?

I guess the reason I don't go all manual is the variation from one shot to the next. Different parts of the course allow different amounts of light. I generally try & get 2-3 shots/obstacles on a course of each dog. Then I find I sometimes make adjustments depending on individual dogs as well. I may adjust the exp comp & will also change the metering for darker dogs. Then you have the whole clouds thing...where the sun is coming in & out which will affect the shutter speed. I find this gives me enough to do between dogs, I don't feel like I have time to change too much.

I guess it also depends on how your camera handles noise. I am really happy with the D300, it is a million times better than my D70s.

Edited by Vickie

me again, LOL. I was just thinking about this some more. I guess to be honest, I don't feel I am good enough yet to use all manual settings. I feel like my camera is doing quite a good job of choosing my shutter speed. I think if I were choosing it, I would get it wrong quite a bit & white dogs would be overexposed & dark dogs underexposed.

I am aslo really picky about the dog's eye/s being in sharp focus. I never charge for a shot where this is not the case.

Edited by Vickie

Thanks Vickie. Love your pic. I am amazed how you guys always have the pics so focused. Even on auto focus I sometimes feel I am not getting it exactly right :cheer:

I fluked this one ;) Using P mode on my 400D. I have now started to venture off P and use the other settings.

Edited by JAG

Love it! Those 2 pull the most hilarious faces.

Hey...that looks like Cessnock? Are you going again this year? It's one of my favourite trials. We will have to meet up & you can (pretty please) get some pics of my 2.

To those that 'control' using various things - why dont you just use the manual settings? You are pretty much there trying to stop or encourage various shutter speeds or apertures anyway and then you know what the camera will take the shots on.

I mostly find it a waste of time unless the lighting is out of the ordinary. For eg, if I already know what DOF I want, and I set it to eg, F2.8, I know in most situations I'll get an adequate shutter speed. If I can't, I'll up the ISO to get more.

If I use manual I'd have to adjust constantly for light changes. It's a secondary step that serves no real purpose to me.

I only use manual if I decide I need to slightly under or over expose.

Love it! Those 2 pull the most hilarious faces.

Hey...that looks like Cessnock? Are you going again this year? It's one of my favourite trials. We will have to meet up & you can (pretty please) get some pics of my 2.

Yes it was Cessnock :cheer: I am not trialling any longer but if there are no shows on I will be there. Happy to take some pics for you - but you will have to understand they won't be any where near as good as yours!! ;)

Vickie, I think you have summed it up well, and I agree with a lot of things that you have said.

When I go out shooting with the dog, or at the meets and have lots of dogs, I can vary it between modes.

If the shade, when there isn't enough light, I'll set the apeture I want for the DOF. I'll then get shots that are in focus, and at the right exposure.

When in full sunlight, I know I can set the shutter speed higher, so I'll go for a crisper shot, and let the camera choose the DOF, unless I want specific shots where everything is in focus over a specific depth.

Manual is great for scenery and still shots. You have time to set the camera up just as you want it!

However, I feel all this has changed now I have my f2.8 lens, and I haven't taken it out to the dog park yet!