Ahhh The Joys Of Ud....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep tried some last night and it was a disaster NEXT question. Actually interesting experiment her circle work was dreadful (she kept dropping head position at precisely the same point in the circle - wasn't time dependent as it didn't matter how long we had been going before we hit that sport in the circle she would lose position. We had a huge oval and thought I would try duration heelwork slightly differently. I mainly did straight lines with a few turns thrown in and that was much more successful. Never lost the head position and it was really nice work.

It was a bugger I broke small fry as she has the most gorgeous duration circle work - means Ness is allowed to get away with nothing as I know how nicely Kenzie can do it :rofl: .

ETA. And my training buddy didn't fair much better although she wasn't quite as tough on her dog as I was on mine and was happy to accept the dropped head position so long as he remained roughly in heel - NAUGHTY :rofl: .

Edited by ness

Hey Rubystar - after Sunday we expect a write-up at what you learnt at the guru seminar, and how Ruby just loves to heel.

I will be SCREAMING the house down and hanging from the rafters if Ruby comes away loving to heel :rofl: So will definitely write up if that's the case! But - fat chance! Because she is one stubborn dog and doesn't have "want to", she has "do I have to and what's especially good in it for me?" :rofl:

I've tried duration heeling with Ruby and cannot maintain it with her head up for longer than maybe 5-10 secs, which means we're in big fat TROUBLE :) Hoping the guru seminar will help me find a way to better this because this focus while heeling malarky is our biggest downfall... I'm very much looking forward to Sunday :rofl: (even though I'm not a morning person :rofl:)

Guest PixieOfWrath

Oooh what's "duration heeling"? :rofl: (a link is fine, I've just never heard of it before)

Edited by PixieOfWrath

Oooh what's "duration heeling"? :rofl: (a link is fine, I've just never heard of it before)

I could be wrong (I usually am :rofl:) but my interpretation is working towards increasing the length of time your dog can heel with focus - Sandi/Ness?? Am I on the right track?

I just found this blog, found it very interesting: http://www.fannygott.com/clicker-training-heeling

Has anybody tried this method before? I'll have a bit of a read of the other posts when I have time as it seems quite interesting!

I'm working on duration heeling with Zig at the moment....really enjoying the process too. We do some circles to the left and right to warm up and then introduce straight lines and turns. I'm still using verbal praise on the turns but he's got a spring in his step, an upturned head and a madly wagging tail when he pulls it all together. Gives me warm fuzzies just thinking about it :rofl:

You are spot on Rubystar :)

When we do duration heelwork there are no positions and no sharp turns and no change of pace, so lots of circle work and doodling. Thats all they do for the night - no other training - so basically you can be all packed up and ready to head home in less than 10 minutes.

I split each of the kids evening meal into 3 jackpot containers and thats their reward for paying attention. I have been putting the kids back into the car after each turn and getting one of the others out. They are almost falling over themselves for it to be their turn. :o

Yay I'm glad I was right about something :o

I wish I had a large backyard, and with grass! Would make practicing duration heelwork more convenient than heading to the local park (and the local park means play time to Ruby :)) So we end up doing lines up and down the small patch of grass in the front yard (lucky I live in a cul-de-sac so no traffic cos we do it offlead). I'd utilise the K9 grounds but I never know when a class is on and obviously don't want to interfere and get in anyone's way!

Ptolomy's average duration was embarassing and I was so jealous - think she said it was about 1 min 30 or up to that the other week but I think she would like to take a trick at the moment and have a couple of uninjured dogs to train.

Ok here is Kenzie's results. Back in November at the age of 7 months I was able to get 29 seconds in correct position with no visible rewards and without "warming up". Not done any with her since though :thumbsup: .

Edited by ness

The kids have only been back in training for 2 weeks. I did duration heelwork on Tuesday night - they did not see me load my pocket with a jackpot container.

Beans, Blaize and Lexi all did 45 seconds on their first outing. - so thats giving me full attentin and not looking away. I have to say that I do accept sneezing - this is something I tried to stop a long time ago with Blaize and it is something all my crew due - not sure if it is due to the head position or excitement, in the end I taught Blaize to stay in heel position when she sneezed :thumbsup: Scoota did 1 minute 20. I did stop and reward while the kids were all still pushing and wanting to do more.

The second time out.....Beans did 1min 20 (this was a top effort from her). Blaize, Scoota and Lexi all did 60 seconds.

RS - I know what you mean re: backyard :laugh:

Interesting article too - that was a nice read although I don't know how I would go heeling backwards :thumbsup:

I tried it out on my girls last night for curiosity sake. Ruby was confused, kept going to the other side of me with a puzzled look on her face so quit that one as quick as we started. Millie was much the same, didn't quite understand the game. So I think I'll just watch this girl's videos in awe and keep reading for any other tips that might prove useful! I'd be interested in trying it out on a new puppy though. Think I'll need a large enough space that I won't fall over anything walking backwards :thumbsup: A new puppy is many, many years off, though. :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

If ever there was a time I was jealous, it's right now Ptolomy! :thumbsup:

But I know I have myself to blame, I never taught Ruby much focus as a pup and didn't aim for head up and looking at me when I first started teaching heeling as I'm such a noob! Now I'm paying the price and hoping with some help it's not too late to be fixed :thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

If ever there was a time I was jealous, it's right now Ptolomy! :rofl:

But I know I have myself to blame, I never taught Ruby much focus as a pup and didn't aim for head up and looking at me when I first started teaching heeling as I'm such a noob! Now I'm paying the price and hoping with some help it's not too late to be fixed :laugh:

Well, I saw some beautiful heelwork today. You should be very proud.