Chihuahuas In Agility?

hi

ive got a purebred chihuahua pup hes only 4mnths old now, he is still quite small and i wasnt considering agility for a while or so but i was just wondering wether it is actually possible to compete in agility with a chihuahua? i have seen them at trials except they seem to be more mixed breed and larger, he loves to chase a ball and is quite quick for his size, but would a small chihuahua struggle with the height of the jumps etc?

thanks for that im excited now :)would anyone be able to give me an idea of what age i should start training him. I know its minimum 4mnths for the beginners class but is this for the toy breeds aswell or should they wait a bit longer??

there is a chi in sydney who is doing agility, we first trained with this dog, hes a great little dog!! Flies around but last time i saw him he was still doing zoomies.

Any dog can do agility, they just have to have the will!

I'm learning agility all over again with my Dal as it's been years since I've trialled and the knowledge out there is amazing! I waited until Zig was 2 before starting agility - couple of reasons - he's late to physically mature and, just as importantly, mentally mature. There's SO much stuff you can work on without even getting close to agility equipment - especially off lead control, good focus, working both sides, nose touches, a good stay or wait command for the start gate. I'm not saying don't start early, because I know many do, but I found having a dog that was pretty focussed already made adding the equipment much easier......my handling, however, is another story as I was reminded today :(:rofl: Oh well, we're only up to lesson 3 or 4 so we'll get there eventually :thumbsup:

Have fun and don't forget to post photos!

I would not teach jumping til the dog is a year of age. Breed doesn't really matter in my opinion it was a rule I had in my training facility.

You can teach contact equipment easy enough and make sure whereever you go for classes they don't push too fast on things like the teeter.

Have a blast....I had a number of Pomeranians in my classes over the years, and all the way up to a Great Dane or two....size doesn't matter in this case!

Well at least since the equipment wouldn't need to be very big you could probably make it yourself :mad See how small that table is? I also have a kids tunnel I got at a toystore for like $30 - works well for small dogs or puppies (Zoe fits but Kaos no longer fits, used it when he was a pup though.)