Should I Give My Dog Any Supplements?

I have a 12 mo Whippet, we have started basic Agility training and she seems to have a great time so far.

What I am wondering is do any of you give your Agility/sports dogs any sort of joint supplement?

More to help protect the joints from the impact of jumping, weaving etc.

I did a bit of agility and jumping with my Dobe and she had to retire at 5 from spinal spondalosis.

As I have a Whippet they are not heavy or prone to any particular joint problems but have been weighing up if it would be good preventative practice for her older years.

I would hate to do all this training and agility/jumping then have a dog who is quite arthritic when older because of wear and tear that I might have been able to minimise.

Thanks in advance.

Oooh another agility whippet in the making! :cry: We'll need to start a campaign to see it introduced at Specialty Shows. :)

Young Howard will start training next year.

I give all my agility dogs Jointguard and they get regular chiropractic adjustments. My dogs aren't keen on tablets so I give the Jointguard in milk every morning. It seems palatable enough to them. I buy it online - its cheaper that way.

ETA: 12 months is young to be jumping. I's suggest you keep the jump heights down (below knee height) for a few months yet.

Edited by poodlefan

Oh don't worry we have only just started and her jumps as such are only a few inches high, enough so she has to recognise they are there, but not to make her have to jump, and stretch. I am trying to train what over means-as in go between two wings, She probably won't jump full height during training very often at all, even when older.

We don't have a Chiro down here although I wish we did.

Any agility work is done on grass so hopefully that will help reduce joint stress, it is more at this stage to introduce tunnels, contacts etc.

The question is more for the future as I like to get organised early.

What I am wondering is do any of you give your Agility/sports dogs any sort of joint supplement?

Feeding a diet I think is more important with supplements. Warming up/stretching exercises, care when jumping from vehicles, sharp fast turns?, bedding. Genetics also.