Vet Suggestions In Perth

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

I've been notified by my breeder that Belgians can have problems with anesthesia and there is a wonderful page online all about it.

if anyone wants to know more.

So I'm after a considerate vet that is going to listen to me and read the page or two I supply to them. I'd much rather be prepared than for them to overdose Ivy. She has more hair than body weight nearly!

Also a vet that isn't going to charge through the roof for the procedure. I'm willing to travel.

She's just over 6 months so it needs to be done soon!

First time mum .. I'm allowed to be worried :laugh:

I've been notified by my breeder that Belgians can have problems with anesthesia and there is a wonderful page online all about it.

if anyone wants to know more.

So I'm after a considerate vet that is going to listen to me and read the page or two I supply to them. I'd much rather be prepared than for them to overdose Ivy. She has more hair than body weight nearly!

Also a vet that isn't going to charge through the roof for the procedure. I'm willing to travel.

She's just over 6 months so it needs to be done soon!

First time mum .. I'm allowed to be worried :(

that was me BB, they did it to Squid and were unaware of anasthetic guidelines for Belgians. Same with greys and whippets. Massive need to know for owners. I didnt know and he almost died and limited recovery in 3 days. Full recovery in 6. It was dreadful :mad

Not Balcatta Vet... I had Chelsea done there and whilst she coped great with the anethesia and the staff seemed really friendly, caring and nice... the scar she was left with was really bad and the job looked like it had been done by a home handyman :mad

Victoria Park Vets on Somerset St are really lovely and always happy to listen to owners concerns, but never had a female desexed there.

You've probably heard wonderful things about Applecross Vet if you've been reading these forums for a while, but not sure if that is maybe too far to travel for you.

Dr Karen Bomford at Doubleview (the "beach end" of Scarborough Beach Road) is a perfectionist & very good at her job.

Given she is 6 months old, unless you have just gotten her I would think that she would have been to the vet for vaccinations etc. Have you discussed your concerns with your normal vet? If not, what area are you in as I am guessing you don't want to drive an hour or mor for a vet :mad

ETA: In terms of overdosing all dogs should be weighed, they don't just guess the weight. Or I would be very annoyed at them if they did! My dogs get weighed everytime they go to the vet :(

Edited by mirawee

Guest belgian.blue
Not Balcatta Vet... I had Chelsea done there and whilst she coped great with the anethesia and the staff seemed really friendly, caring and nice... the scar she was left with was really bad and the job looked like it had been done by a home handyman :cry:

Ooo the feeling that rushes over me when you say not Balcatta Vet. My Pointer was there on IV, on deaths door and yeah I will never ever go back.

I share your pain with the place.

Guest belgian.blue
Dr Karen Bomford at Doubleview (the "beach end" of Scarborough Beach Road) is a perfectionist & very good at her job.

Applecross and Doubleview sound doable. Within my driving range for sure.

Have heard a lot of good things about Applecross .. So thats three on my list now!

Yeah I remember you telling me Chewy :) Midniara was also emailing me yesterday and helped me find the linked article.

Tiggy .. I've done work experience at Bassendean Vet and don't think I could go back from what I've seen behind the scenes. Also the same nurse works there and yeah we didn't get along :cry:

Mirawee .. I don't like the vet I've had her needles done at, very very overpriced. I only took her there out of convience. I know there are much better vets in Perth!

Guest belgian.blue
If you're looking for a vet used to giving anaesthesia to dogs with low levels of subcutaneous fat BB, look for someone that sees a lot of Greyhounds. :)

Why didn't I think of that :cry:

Hmm there is a greyhound track in Perth .. Anyone know of vets around Cannington?

Where do greyhound breeders live?

Applecross, in my experience, is good at reading the literature . . . and listening to any substantiated literature references you might wish them to consider. But make sure to discuss it with them first. I'd ask for a senior vet when discussing the procedure. They also tend to be a lot cheaper for speys and Ceasars than many vets. I have Labbies, so I don't know much about low body fat problems :eek:

I have used them several times for Ceasars, and have been very impressed by how they handled the anaesthetic and painkillers to make the bitch comfortable during the procedure, but bring her about as soon as possible after the stitches are in. I know they see many greys.

George Huber in Midland is where the greater grey pop head but most vets thes days are very offay with the different breed requirements.

Applecross has worked on our greys etc

We have also used vetwest canning vale for spays & the vet we use there is super.

Cost wise both are equal so it comes down to travel.

We have used Applecross for years but are starting to get a heavy vet turnover.

Ian McDowelll works from Booragon vet is superb at surgery.

Lark Hill is also has a good rep but thats far away from you

Guest belgian.blue
George Huber in Midland is where the greater grey pop head but most vets thes days are very offay with the different breed requirements.

Applecross has worked on our greys etc

We have also used vetwest canning vale for spays & the vet we use there is super.

Cost wise both are equal so it comes down to travel.

We have used Applecross for years but are starting to get a heavy vet turnover.

Ian McDowelll works from Booragon vet is superb at surgery.

Lark Hill is also has a good rep but thats far away from you

Thanks for the info. Applecross seems to have the most feedback.

Will get pricing next week when I hopefully have some good news about a rental.

Drew Masters at My Best Friend Vet Surgery in Leederville (opposite Kalis Bros). He looked after my mini poodle and let me take in notes from the internet regarding his Cushing's disease. He listens and never tries to talk over you. If you took in literature I would read it and act on it. His best mate is the chief endo for dogs at Murdoch, so he can ask the higher up folks for assistance should he need it.

Kyzer was neutered (5kg Male) at Applecross about 18 months ago, it cost $150, and was okay, nothing bad happened to him anyway :(

I don't mind them but prefer to use Vetwest, closer and I just like them more :)

Guest belgian.blue
Drew Masters at My Best Friend Vet Surgery in Leederville (opposite Kalis Bros). He looked after my mini poodle and let me take in notes from the internet regarding his Cushing's disease. He listens and never tries to talk over you. If you took in literature I would read it and act on it. His best mate is the chief endo for dogs at Murdoch, so he can ask the higher up folks for assistance should he need it.

Ahhh I forgot about that place! I used to live up the road from there. They're added to my list for sure :laugh:

Guest belgian.blue

Applecross is set in stone.

Met up with an owner of four Belgians today and they all go to Applecross, so the clinic knows Belgians well. Her friends in Perth own a few Belgs and they also all go to Applecross.

Midniara also got a :thumbsup: for her efforts in breeding Ivy. She was very impressed.