Level Of Protein In Diet

Drumbeat

It's been suggested to me that I should reduce the level of protein in our pups diet to less than 22% to assist with her excitable behaviour. She is a 10 month old terrier and is pretty relaxed around the house but does get very excited when meeting other dogs and people, I am expecting she will grow out of this with obedience training and increased maturity.

With the move towards to BARF feeding I'm wondering if this is an old wife's tale or if it does have a scientific basis? I would really like some other opinions before I start changing her diet.

She is currently fed Artemis small breed puppy (protein content 28%) in the mornings, for dinner she has either commercial BARF patties or raw human grade mince (usually beef) and blended vegtables. She also has chicken necks (or other bones) about 4 times a week. Her weight is stable and her coat is in good condition.

Edited by Drumbeat

It's been suggested to me that I should reduce the level of protein in our pups diet to less than 22% to assist with her excitable behaviour. She is a 10 month old terrier and is pretty relaxed around the house but does get very excited when meeting other dogs and people, I was expecting she would grow out of this with obedience training and increased maturity.

With the move towards to BARF feeding I'm wondering if this is an old wife's tale or if it does have a scientific basis? I would really like some advice before I start changing her diet.

She is currently fed Artemis small breed puppy (protein content 28%) in the mornings, for dinner she has either commercial BARF patties or raw human grade mince (usually beef) and blended vegtables. She also has chicken necks (or other bones) about 4 times a week. Her weight is stable and her coat is in good condition.

Don't you have a lakeland? I always thought they tended to be a bit excitable and playful and nutty. Part of the charm. I'd think she'd settle down eventually with some strongly set boundaries rather than doing it with a change of diet.

There are some studies that show a lower protein amounts can assist with aggression.

Sounds like you just have a training issue, perhaps you would be wise to head to obedience school or get one on one tution?

Effectively you have a puppy, I think you should lower your expectations of a perfectly behaved puppy and seek obedience assistance.

Edited by sas

Don't you have a lakeland? I always thought they tended to be a bit excitable and playful and nutty. Part of the charm. I'd think she'd settle down eventually with some strongly set boundaries rather than doing it with a change of diet.

Yes, that's what I thought too, Sheridan.

Yes, that's what I thought too, Sheridan.

If it's any help, my 13 year old wheaten is still pretty nutty. :laugh:

There are some studies that show a lower protein amounts can assist with aggression.

Sounds like you just have a training issue, perhaps you would be wise to head to obedience school or get one on one tution?

Effectively you have a puppy, I think you should lower your expectations of a perfectly behaved puppy and seek obedience assistance.

Hi Sass,

We have been attending a training club since 9 weeks old and have had a couple of one on one sessions for advice about specific behaviours so we're not slacking off on training. We are also starting Delta training next week as the classes are small. I think her behaviour is due to breed and age, it was someone else who suggested she was highly strung and a high protein diet would make it worse!!

She is a 10 month old terrier and is pretty relaxed around the house but does get very excited when meeting other dogs and people, I am expecting she will grow out of this with obedience training and increased maturity.

Excitement like this is still a training issue. If she was buzzing around the house 24/7 then I would say its a food issue. If the dog has been to training since 9 weeks and this issue is still unresolved find a different trainer it really shouldnt take 6 months to get under control effectively.

Yes protein level can affect behavior and I have seen dogs on different foods have a personality turn around. Artificial additives and filler products seem to be a bigger contributor to weird behaviors then protein. I myself have increased the protein in my dogs diets and NOT seen any noticable difference but then again everyone has only one option in this house - behave :cry:

If the dog has been to training since 9 weeks and this issue is still unresolved find a different trainer

That's why I'm doing the Delta training - small class of 8 dogs (same dogs, same trainer.) I was attending a very large club where we were with different dogs and a different trainer nearly every week.

I've met a few dogs around her age over the last few days and I don't think she's any worse than they were.

Edited by Drumbeat

I was attending a very large club where we were with different dogs and a different trainer nearly every week.

That is a pet hate of mine. This is OK for dogs with few problems and general drills but not for dogs that need a little more help. Hope this new club works out for you!