Shear Magic Thinning Scissors

Ok I bought a pair of Double Sided Thinning Scissors by Shear Magic. Now I know this probably sounds like a silly question but how do I use them? Does the dog need to be wet or do you just have to open and close them heaps??? :mad:cry:

See they arrrived in the post yesterday and thus were in my hand bag when we went to the dog park and that's when I noticed a small mat on my boy's belly, so while he was lying on his back distracted I got them out and tried to cut it off, but they didn't work like normal scissors, I had to open and close them several times until it cut it off. Is this normal with double sided thinning scissors, or am I doing somthing wrong?

PS - thanks in adavnce

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

FTPO: Thinning scissors are for trimming out undercoat to thin the coat. I use the thinners on the neck, hocks and for ear fluff (inside and out). If you want to remove mats, you're best to use your ordinary scissors. I use ordinary scissors for trimming the tail and the shape of the ear and to tidy up the feet.

FTPO: Thinning scissors are for trimming out undercoat to thin the coat. I use the thinners on the neck, hocks and for ear fluff (inside and out). If you want to remove mats, you're best to use your ordinary scissors. I use ordinary scissors for trimming the tail and the shape of the ear and to tidy up the feet.

Cool - well wish Benson luck as after he gets bathed on the weekend I am going to attack him with my new scissors! :rofl::mad:cry::rofl:

edit - cause i can't spell

Do you think I bought the wrong ones? :laugh:

Yes you have, buy yourself some single sided, don't buy too cheaply because cheap grooming equipment generally isn't as comfortable to use and doesn't last long. Cut into the base of the matt a few times and then pull a comb through it and you should be able to tease it out. Cutting a matt off with straight edge scissors leaves a noticeable gap, it won't look quite as obvious if you use thinning shears.

Of course in an ideal world one shouldn't allow a matt to form in the first place :whip:

I think you misunderstood my stupidilty Miranda. I did not buy the thinning scissors for mat cutting. I just wasn't sure how the scissors should work as I never used them before. The mat was on his belly and was from licking due to allergies, and the reason I bought the thinning scissors was for his neck, ear etc so I can tidy him up every mth or so - he is looking rather muttly at the moment.

I think you misunderstood my stupidilty Miranda. I did not buy the thinning scissors for mat cutting. I just wasn't sure how the scissors should work as I never used them before. The mat was on his belly and was from licking due to allergies, and the reason I bought the thinning scissors was for his neck, ear etc so I can tidy him up every mth or so - he is looking rather muttly at the moment.

You still need single sided scissors, double sided scissors aren't suitable.

You still need single sided scissors, double sided scissors aren't suitable.

Oh really - I guess I can't get a refund or exchange on them either now :laugh: *sigh*

Oh really - I guess I can't get a refund or exchange on them either now :laugh: *sigh*

Well they'll still work but it will take you much longer to trim. I never use double sided, only single. If you only used them once and still have the packaging they came in and the receipt try taking them back and asking if they'll exchange them, don't say that you've used them just say you bought the wrong ones by mistake.

Well they'll still work but it will take you much longer to trim. I never use double sided, only single. If you only used them once and still have the packaging they came in and the receipt try taking them back and asking if they'll exchange them, don't say that you've used them just say you bought the wrong ones by mistake.

Will try - I mean I bearly used them.