Training Aids

saram

OK, have been reading up a treat on dog training as we really want to have a pair of well trained pooches so what are you opinions on some of these "training" aides, Are they useful, worth buying or completely pointless.

Clicker and clicker training - I can see this would be much easier(and healthier) than having a pocket full of treats but is it useful - anyone tried it have opinions

teaching lead - seems to have multiple uses that I can see would be handy but are they worth bothering with - are they even available to buy readily?

That's all I've come up with so far - if you have an suggestions for excellent training aides that you couldn't live without, I would love to hear about them

Thanks

OK, have been reading up a treat on dog training as we really want to have a pair of well trained pooches so what are you opinions on some of these "training" aides, Are they useful, worth buying or completely pointless.

Clicker and clicker training - I can see this would be much easier(and healthier) than having a pocket full of treats but is it useful - anyone tried it have opinions

teaching lead - seems to have multiple uses that I can see would be handy but are they worth bothering with - are they even available to buy readily?

That's all I've come up with so far - if you have an suggestions for excellent training aides that you couldn't live without, I would love to hear about them

Thanks

I don't even know what a teaching lead is.

Clickers are awesome.

The e-collar is pretty awesome.

You can't chose what aids to use before hand. The aids are chosen based on the dog.

Edited by Just Midol

A clicker doesn't replace a treat, a clicker is just a way to tell your dog.."you just did the right thing"...you have to follow it up with a reward of some kind (food or play usually).

There's nothing unhealthy about having a pocket of treats - just make them healthy ones :)

As for a 'teaching lead' use a normal lead and cate train...imo.

Edited by Luke W

Not sure what you mean by teaching lead?

Clickers are great - as Luke said they mark the timing of the correct behaviour, you still have to follow up with a reward. Most people use food with clickers, but you can use other rewards too.

As for other training aids, it depends on the dog and the discipline you are training for as to what you are going to use.

do you have a link to teaching leads?

I cant live without my leather police leads. Love it. Can either be a long lead, normal lead, flat collar or dominant dog collar all in one lead. I need more as a certain ROTTWEILER who shall remain anonymous (Diesel ... mummy is talking about you ...) ate the others. Yes. Munched and ate sections out of the others.

Correction chains

Crates

Leather harnesses - so comfy for the dogs especially when teaching tracking.

Treat bag ... because I drop everything :) just have to make sure not to shove the mobile in with the treats like I did once

Thanks for all the info!

I think I've got the whole concept of the clicker- it's basically to reward more instantaneously??? Is that right - that'll teach me for skim reading and then posting stupid questions - sorry. But getting the feeling that clickers are a good investment?

Teahing leads - again from this book which is UK based. This is the info from the patent

A dog leash teaching lead is used to teach a dog to behave in the house and outside. At its outer end (distal end) the leash has a fastener clip which attaches the leash to the dog's collar. A station hole, about 3-7 inches from the fastener clip, is used to attach the dog to a post or other object. A series of from 3 to 7 waist holes, near the proximal end (the owner's hand) are used to attach the dog to its owner or the owner's family members. An end fastener clip, at the proximal end, may be connected, alternatively, to the station hole or one of the waist holes or a ring held by the leash.

Have found a link here - not sure if links are allowed??? Pls let me know and I will take it down

http://www.fetchdog.com/learn-connect/dog-...0/I/AR000010443

Edited by saram

I've got one of those leads, except I call it a double ended lead or police lead! Very handy!

Clicker training is very good (you can use your voice instead of a clicker too). I highly recommend crate training. I use a martingale collar, also called a limited slip collar. As Nehkbet said a treat bag is important to stick treats in and the phone and the doggy doo bags otherwise my pockets get overwhelmed with stuff! Although I haven't stuck my phone in with the treats - yet!

Thanks for all the info!

I think I've got the whole concept of the clicker- it's basically to reward more instantaneously??? Is that right - that'll teach me for skim reading and then posting stupid questions - sorry. But getting the feeling that clickers are a good investment?

Teahing leads - again from this book which is UK based. This is the info from the patent

A dog leash teaching lead is used to teach a dog to behave in the house and outside. At its outer end (distal end) the leash has a fastener clip which attaches the leash to the dog's collar. A station hole, about 3-7 inches from the fastener clip, is used to attach the dog to a post or other object. A series of from 3 to 7 waist holes, near the proximal end (the owner's hand) are used to attach the dog to its owner or the owner's family members. An end fastener clip, at the proximal end, may be connected, alternatively, to the station hole or one of the waist holes or a ring held by the leash.

Have found a link here - not sure if links are allowed??? Pls let me know and I will take it down

http://www.fetchdog.com/learn-connect/dog-...0/I/AR000010443

Links are allowed.

No idea how that teaches a dog to behave in the house, unless you tether. I do tether my dogs as pups when they are inside. Montu is 7 months now and still hasn't had free access inside.

I have found that a dog obedience club is a great place to learn training techniques. It really helps to get the timing of the clicker/marker (I find a word easier than a clicker) and reward, and help your dogs learn about distractions.

Things I have found VERY useful are...

Crate

Long line (for recall)

Treat bag

BBQ chicken :confused:

just midol - I think it's the fact that it has a few uses in one? Have to admit with two kids the handsfree walking sounds good to me even when they are experienced at walking on the lead. And yes I believe a lot of it is about tethering indoors and outdoors

wuffles - thanks, have to admit my experience with the local kennel club wasn't awe-inspiring with our other dog but perhaps we just had the wrong trainer, we are certainly looking into taking them there it just comes down to logistics with two dogs, two adults and two kids :laugh: At the moment we are looking at hubby taking one dog each week and keep swapping them over. And yes I have discovered the awesome power of the BBQ chicken :thumbsup: