Lens Hood

PooMother

Please what do you use the lens hood for? Do you have to purchases different sized ones for different sized lenses?

Alos does anyone use a flash on top of their cameras as opposed to jsut using the inbuilt flash?

Lens hoods help reduce lens flare and increase contrast and color saturation. Especially when shooting in the same direction as the sun.

Yes, you need different sized hoods for different lenses.

Yes, I use an external flash rather than a pop-up one. Does my camera even have a pop-up one? Not sure, let me look... :rolleyes: Wow, it does., Never used it.

Please what do you use the lens hood for? Do you have to purchases different sized ones for different sized lenses?

Alos does anyone use a flash on top of their cameras as opposed to jsut using the inbuilt flash?

Lens hoods help reduce lens flare and increase contrast and color saturation. Especially when shooting in the same direction as the sun.

Yes, you need different sized hoods for different lenses.

Yes, I use an external flash rather than a pop-up one. Does my camera even have a pop-up one? Not sure, let me look... :rolleyes: Wow, it does., Never used it.

Thanks Luke

Whilst I was away on hols last week I used my DIL lens its a Canon something - 300 and the dif really is amazing. I took a shot of a toy hanging in my car from about 40m away.

RaniHoliday018.jpg

My camera zoomed right in

RaniHoliday017.jpg

DIL camera

If I know Im going somewhere that I will need a flash then I'll take the big flash. However if its a raceday and the horse is in the shadow or connections are in shoadow in a group pic and I suddenly need a flash then I'll use the one on the camera. If Im taking something inside the house that is close with a small lens I'll use the one on the camera.

However photos of animals & humans look better with the big flash as its on a different angle and yo uget a lot less 'red eye' as the light is from a different angle. If you are taking pics of say Ebay items the one on the camera is fine.

Lens hood - this depends on what the subject is where the light is etc.

If taking photos in the late afternoon and you have to look in the direction of the sun for some reason (say for example a late afternoon or evening at glenelg beach) the lens hood will stop the lens flare (when you get a semi circle of light on the image that you didnt see when taking the shot). It also protects the lens if you are outdoors and walking around and its around your neck. I have one on my huge 100-400mm however the other two lenses I have do not have lens hoods. I can't see the expense of paying massive amounts for a piece of plastic when you can shield the sun if need be as long as you look for that reflection.

Edited by rubiton