Obedience Trials

I know that we've had a couple of similar threads, but hope that someone will answer this one for me.

I have decided that I would really like to trial one of my dogs this year for CCD (probably not until the second half of the year).

How do I go about designing a training program to get both of us ready? One of the clubs I am with basically insists that you have to be at a certain level before you can join their trialling group. Another club I belong to, I don't particularly agree with how their trialling group trains - a lot of standing around talking, and not much work.

Information on teaching heeling, specifically off-lead, and ideas on how to start "proofing" exercises (when and how to add distractions) would be appreciated.

I have never trialled a dog before, so want to do "right" by him. "Him" is a 2.5 year old mutt that we adopted from a shelter 12 months ago. He has moments of brilliance for his heeling on-lead, but he has the attention span of a gnat (said in the nicest possible way!). SFE is going to be a problem, as he can be extremely mouthy, and this may be the one thing that prevents me from trialling him.

I've been out to a few trials last year to watch and to get an idea of what goes on and have been reading the rule book from cover to cover, to help me to understand where people are losing marks or failing on exercises. I have also stewarded at a couple of trials which was brilliant as I was able to ask the judges questions (after the trial was over) about specific things, and get clarification on a few things which had confused me.

So, where do I begin? And does NSW have anything like VIC's FOO?

Good on you for starting a plan to get your dog into trialling! :rolleyes: My training plan goes a little like this: start in the back yard keeping it short and lots of fun - no full heel patterns and never do a full trial work out and especially keep some exercises broken up like the recall don't often do a recall and then a finish afterward etc. Once the dog is work beautifully in the backyard I move to the front yard/driveway and get the dog to the same levels again keeping the training sessions short and fun. Once dog is doing really well there I move to a quiet park, do the same thing, then to a busier park (say with kids playing), then I might move to near a dog park when there is a few dogs inside but I'll train outside the park. Only once my dog works consistently there do I start working in a class with other dogs. Every once in a while during these various stages I might do a full heel pattern or a couple of exercises grouped together but never a full trial workout until my dog is at dog club distraction level! And when I train a new exercise I go through these same stages before I'll do that new exercise at a dog club.

As for teaching certain things like heel, I like to teach heel as a position rather than a movement. Which means I teach where heel is as a stationary position - sit on my left looking at me. I'll teach the dog to find heel from various angles and distances before I start moving. I also teach drop, sit and stand as seperate commands while not heeling and throw these into a heel pattern when the dog understands heel a bit better. Once my dog knows where heel is will I take a step telling the dog to heel. I'll only do a few steps to start with until the dog 'heels' like I want it to. Then I'll increase the number of steps, then I might throw in a command (stand/drop) or a turn and build it up gradually from there.

I use a similar method for all exercises, start small and build it up slowly. You said you thought you might have trouble with SFE- start by doing a stand stay, then start walking around the dog, then touch it just a bit, then increase the amount of touching you do, then get another person to walk around, then get that person to touch it lightly and continue to increase from there.

Like I said this is my method, everyone will have different methods. Use what you feel comfortable and confident with and use what works for your dog. Good luck and let us know how you get on! :rofl:

I have writen a plan for CCD for a Young boy that I'm wanting to get going. It is on my work computer but I will put in on on Monday.

Basicly I broke down the CCD componants into bits.

I plan to start with the things that occur most, Attention and Stay. and then the movments, sit, drop, stand. I'm hoping that with that the actuall Heal will follow with out to much effort.

PS this a dig that has done NO formal obediance

Good question Squeak! I'm looking at doing CCD this year hopefully and since I've never trialled need all the help I can get! At the moment we're not going to a club. My dog is too easily distracted at the moment by other dogs and if there's a ball around forget it, so we're starting slowly on the distractions.

The ANKC rules are written well enough that you can understand them unlike some rulees that make know sence unless you've been competing for years. In Here Click on ANKC rules. It is a PDF file and is very good, gives you a perfect oicture of what is expected.

For those that can't veiw a PDF here is the CCD part. Copied directly from link above.

OBEDIENCE TRIAL EXERCISES

COMMUNITY COMPANION DOG CLASS

The exercise for each dog and the maximum points shall be:

1. Heel on Lead 30

2. Stand for Examination on lead 10

3. Recall 20

4. 1 min Sit Stay 20

5. 2 min Down Stay 20

TOTAL 100

Less penalty for misbehaviour.

1. HEEL ON LEAD Maximum Points: 30

Principal Feature:

The dog on the lead, and the Handler to work as a team.

Description of Exercise:

On order from the Judge 'Forward' the Handler may attract the dog's attention by saying

its name then give a command to heel and, at the same time, commence walking briskly

or at the directed pace.

The dog must work on a loose lead. Any tightening or jerking of the lead, any unusual or

additional act, signal or command which in the opinion of the Judge gives the dog

assistance, must be penalised.

At each order from the Judge to 'Halt', the Handler must stop and the dog must sit smartly

at heel without command and not move until ordered to do so.

The Handler and dog must execute a 'Figure Eight' at normal pace in which they must

heel at least twice around two Stewards standing approximately three (3) metres apart.

There must be at least one 'Halt' during this portion of the exercise. The Judge may

replace a Steward in the 'Figure Eight' or may take the place of a Steward himself.

Orders from Judge:

'Forward', 'Right Turn', ‘Left Turn', ‘Right About Turn’, 'Left About Turn’, ‘Fast Pace’, ‘Slow

Pace’, ‘Normal Pace’, ‘Halt’, ‘Down (Down Your Dog)’, ‘Stand (Stand Your Dog)', 'Figure

Eight (Forward into the Figure Eight)’, ‘Lead Out', ‘Exercise Finished’. These orders may

be given in any sequence and repeated.

Deductions:

Zero Score: For a dog which is unmanageable.

Over 50%: If the Handler continually tugs on the lead, or adapts his pace to the dog, or if

the dog does not complete the Principal Feature of the exercise.

Minor: For failing to sit, stand or down; for poor sits, downs, stands; for occasional

guidance with the lead; for the use of more than one command; for failure to carry out any

of the lesser points of the exercise.

2. STAND FOR EXAMINATION Maximum Points: 10

Principal Feature:

The dog to stand steadily on the lead until completion of the exercise, and not show undue

resentment or shyness.

Description of Exercise:

On order from the Judge, the Handler will move forward and stand the dog. On further

order from the Judge, the Handler may give a command to stay and will walk forward to the

front of the dog, turn around and stand facing the dog. The dog should be held at the end

of a loose lead.

The Judge must approach the dog from the right or left front and not direct front. The Judge

will touch the dog's head and body only. The mouth, tail and legs must not be examined.

The Judge will then give the order ‘Return (Return to Your Dog)’ whereupon the Handler

will return to the dog. The dog must remain in a standing position until after the Judge

orders 'Exercise Finished' and must not show undue resentment or shyness.

Orders from Judge:

'Forward’, ‘Stand (Stand Your Dog)', 'Leave (Leave Your Dog)’, ‘Return (Return to Your

Dog)', 'Exercise Finished'.

Deductions:

Disqualification: For a dog which attacks.

Zero Score: For a dog which shows an obvious tendency to attack, breaks from position or

does not perform the Principal Feature of the exercise,

Minor: For a dog that requires a second command to stand, moves its feet or for poor

stands or for failing to carry out any of the lesser points of the exercise.

3. RECALL Maximum Points: 20

Principal Feature:

The dog to sit where left off the lead and promptly obey the Handler's command to come.

Description of Exercise:

The Judge will give the order ‘Forward' and then 'Halt'. On further order from the Judge

'Leave (Leave Your Dog)', the Handler may give the command to stay and will leave the

dog in a sitting position and walk approximately ten (10) metres away from the dog. On

further order from the Judge, the Handler will about turn and halt. On order from the Judge,

the Handler may attract the dog's attention by saying its name once and then give a

command to come. The dog must come straight to its Handler at a brisk pace and sit

directly in front without further command .

On order from the Judge 'Return', (Return to Your Dog)’ the Handler will return around the

back of the dog to the heel position without giving any further command to the dog. The

dog must not move from the sitting position until after the Judge has ordered ‘Exercise

Finished.’

Orders from Judge:

'Forward', 'Halt', 'Leave (Leave Your Dog)’, 'About Turn', 'Halt', 'Call (Call Your Dog)’, '

Return (Return to your Dog), ‘Exercise Finished'.

Deductions:

Zero Score: For a dog that fails to remain in the sit position, or does not come on the first

command or for a dog that anticipates the command to come.

Substantial: For slow response to commands, for failure to come at a brisk pace, for

breaking from position when the Handler is returning to the dog.

Minor: For a dog that fails to sit automatically when the Handler halts, for poor sits, for

failure to leave a distinct pause between the dog's name and the command to come. For

the Handler giving an extra command to the dog for the return, for minor movement on the

return and for failure to carry out any of the lesser points of the exercise.

4 1 Min. SIT STAY Maximum Points: 20

Principal Feature:

The dog to stay off the lead in a sit position until the completion of the exercise.

Description of Exercise:

This is a Group exercise. The Handlers will take up their positions with their right foot next

to a Stay Peg which shall be placed in a line approximately one and a half (1.5) metres

apart, and with their dogs sitting in the heel position. On order from the Judge 'Leave

(Leave Your Dog)', the Handlers may give their dogs a command to stay and will

immediately leave and walk approximately six (6) metres. On order from the Judge or

Steward the Handlers will turn to face their dogs and halt.

After one minute from the time the Judge has ordered the Handlers to leave, he will give

the order 'Return (Return to Your Dog)'. The Handlers must return to their dogs together.

The dogs must not move from the sitting position until after the Judge orders 'Exercise

Finished'.

If a dog gets up and starts to roam, the Judge may instruct a Steward, or Handler, to take

the dog away from the other dogs.

Orders from Judge:

'Leave (Leave Your Dog)’, ‘About turn’, ‘Halt', 'Return (Return to Your Dog)’, ‘Exercise

Finished'. Judges may delegate a Steward to give the orders ‘About Turn', 'Halt', 'Return'.

(Return to your Dog)’

Deductions:

Zero Score: For a dog which fails to remain in the sitting position or which moves more

than half of its body length from where it was left.

Minor: For minor movements, eg. fidgeting, or if Handlers do not leave or return with other

Handlers.

5. 2 Min. DOWN STAY Maximum Points: 20

Principal Feature:

The dog to stay off the lead in the down position until the completion of the exercise.

Description of Exercise:

This is a Group exercise. The Handlers will take up their positions with their right foot next

to a Stay Peg which shall be placed in a line approximately one and a half (1.5) metres

apart and with their dogs in the Down position. On order from the Judge to 'Leave (Leave

Your Dogs)', the Handlers may give their dogs a command to stay and will immediately

leave and walk approximately six (6) metres. On order from the Judge or Steward the

Handlers will turn to face their dogs and halt.

After two minutes from the time the Judge has ordered the Handlers to leave, he will give

the order 'Return (Return to Your Dogs)’. The Handlers must return to their dogs together.

The dogs must not move from the down position until after the Judge orders ‘Exercise

Finished'.

If a dog gets up and starts to roam, the judge may instruct a Steward, or Handler, to take

the dog away from the other dogs.

Orders from Judge:

‘Leave (Leave Your Dog)’, ‘About Turn'. 'Halt', ‘Return (Return to Your Dog)', 'Exercise

Finished’. Judges may delegate a Steward to give the orders 'About Turn’, 'Halt', ‘Return

(Return to Your Dog)’.

Deductions:

Zero Score: For a dog which fails to remain in the down position or which moves more

than half its body length from where it was left.

Minor: For minor movements, eg. fidgeting, or for a dog that lies down in a position which

is commonly known as the ‘Dead Dog' position, or if Handlers do not leave or return with

other Handlers.

Orders from Judge:

'Forward', 'Right Turn', ‘Left Turn', ‘Right About Turn’, 'Left About Turn’, ‘Fast Pace’, ‘Slow

Pace’, ‘Normal Pace’, ‘Halt’, ‘Down (Down Your Dog)’, ‘Stand (Stand Your Dog)', 'Figure

Eight (Forward into the Figure Eight)’, ‘Lead Out', ‘Exercise Finished’. These orders may

OK, I'm going to be the dumb one here and ask what is probably an obvious answer but what does "lead out" mean? I can figure everything else out!

And the SIT STAY and DOWN STAY are done as a group exercise! I bet that's interesting sometimes!

Orders from Judge:

OK, I'm going to be the dumb one here and ask what is probably an obvious answer but what does "lead out" mean? I can figure everything else out!

And the SIT STAY and DOWN STAY are done as a group exercise! I bet that's interesting sometimes!

At sometime during your heel work, the judge will command you to lead into a figure 8 where the steward and the judge will be standing like two posts (or if there is two steward, the judge doesn't have to be a "post") during the figure 8, you will get at least one halt.. then he will say forward and you continue going around in the fig.8 he will then say LEAD OUT where you will walk out of the figure 8 and continue on the test until the judges says halt, exercise finished and you are allowed to praise your dog.

And yes the group exercise can be interesting and scary if the dog next to yours breaks...... lots of things can happen during stays so make sure that you proof your dog with lots of distractions and is happy..

Make sure that he gets a big reward away from the ring for a job well done

My suggestion to anybody wanting to get into trialling and not sure what needs to be done or how to go about it - is to go and watch a CCD and novice ring - watch each of the exercises and watch the handlers. Then go and watch a UD ring and watch the handlers as the handling is usually much better by this stage.

My next suggestion would be to go an book yourself an hour private lesson with a trainer - hopefully by doing this the trainer will be able to give you things to go away and work on and will be able to correct any bad habits before they become ingrained.

Good Luck and don't be affraid to ask lots of questions of other people trialling. :thumbsup:

My suggestion to anybody wanting to get into trialling and not sure what needs to be done or how to go about it - is to go and watch a CCD and novice ring - watch each of the exercises and watch the handlers. Then go and watch a UD ring and watch the handlers as the handling is usually much better by this stage.

My next suggestion would be to go an book yourself an hour private lesson with a trainer - hopefully by doing this the trainer will be able to give you things to go away and work on and will be able to correct any bad habits before they become ingrained.

Good Luck and don't be affraid to ask lots of questions of other people trialling. :thumbsup:

You may be interested in joining the ozobediencetrialling group.We have people of all levels and are happy to help with all problems ,we are a positive only training group.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup: I'm hoping to go and watch a trial soon. I think the next one near to me is in March, maybe a trip to Sydney is due!

Whilst I don't go to a club I have been going to sessions with a private trainer who has 4 dogs in his class of all different levels. This has been a good start for us and a great help with distractions, we're just on hold for the moment with the heat.

Another tip is volunteer to steward for a trial, you can learn heaps by being involved and up close! I've only stewarded for agility so far, but will be stewarding for obedience in March (CCD and Novice) and looking forward to it :thumbsup:

I read something about that on the CAWA site, can you explain what it involves please?

Another tip is volunteer to steward for a trial, you can learn heaps by being involved and up close! I've only stewarded for agility so far, but will be stewarding for obedience in March (CCD and Novice) and looking forward to it :thumbsup:

I read something about that on the CAWA site, can you explain what it involves please?

You're basically assisting the judge, and can do things like calling up the next person due in the ring, taking the lead from the handler, being a figure 8 post, taking the dumbell/scent articles/etc from the handler at the gate and bringing them to the ring when required, and so on. Good way to get up close! If you're with an obedience/agility club, you can let the trainers know you'd like to help them out with any trials they might hold. I'm helping out with the fundraiser agility trial this Friday night, as well as have volunteered to help 3 nights of the 4 at the Western Classic in March (I hope to actually compete one of the nights so don't want to have both things to concentrate on!)

Another tip is volunteer to steward for a trial, you can learn heaps by being involved and up close! I've only stewarded for agility so far, but will be stewarding for obedience in March (CCD and Novice) and looking forward to it :mad

You're basically assisting the judge, and can do things like calling up the next person due in the ring, taking the lead from the handler, being a figure 8 post, taking the dumbell/scent articles/etc from the handler at the gate and bringing them to the ring when required, and so on. Good way to get up close! If you're with an obedience/agility club, you can let the trainers know you'd like to help them out with any trials they might hold. I'm helping out with the fundraiser agility trial this Friday night, as well as have volunteered to help 3 nights of the 4 at the Western Classic in March (I hope to actually compete one of the nights so don't want to have both things to concentrate on!)

Yes this is a good way to get up and close and learn heaps.

Edited by kallistar

Yes this is a good way to get up and close and learn heaps.

Just another thought on stewarding for other states... do you have to be a member of your states controlling body to be able to steward in an official trial? I can't remember, but I am pretty sure that you do here in Vic.

I've been wondering what is the best piece of advice you can give someone who is going to trial? Eg, stuff to take, etc

For those that are going to start and compete this year... good luck.

We're working towards trialling too. We've competed in a couple but while Benson was brilliant at home, he was hopeless in a trial and forgot everything, but I'm 100% certain it was the handler and not the dog.

He also has the attention span of a flea, so I'm currently working on keeing his focus on me and not worrying too much yet about the finer points of a recall, a sit stay etc. I know he can do them, but I need him to be able to work and focus on me for an extended period of time.

He is getting much better....I've been inventing games to play with him...games that involve him waiting in the one spot, or following me around (in the heel position), coming back to me when I call him, shadowing me while I move in different directions.

Hopefully, once we get back into formal training, I'll have his focus at a better level than it's been at.

Just another thought on stewarding for other states... do you have to be a member of your states controlling body to be able to steward in an official trial? I can't remember, but I am pretty sure that you do here in Vic.

You're supposed to be in Vic, especially if you're in the ring as opposed to doing something like marshalling. I don't think many people would get too worried about it these days, a lot of trials lack good helpers and stewards and would probably be very grateful for the assistance, member or not.

The judges I have stewarded with have all known I was very new to obedience and made a good effort to explain what they required of me. Nearly all have made a point of explaining what they were looking for in each exercise and even gave me a rundown on each score and why they gave that person that score. Highly recommend stewarding a few trials, and continuing to do so even once you've started trialling. :thumbsup: