How To Avoid Dogs Becoming 'collar Smart'

I was wondering how you avoid making a dog collar smart. My dog and I are moving to 30 acres. Only 20 acres will have the innotek containment wire around it against a fence (front paddock). So my dog will be wearing this collar during the day while Im at work. Plus i will be using this collar (also a remote e-collar) as a last resort if she decides to start chasing stock. (i have some horses, side neighbours have cattle (if she gets past the containment system) back neighbours have sheep and there's roos occassionally on the property.

Edited by WildatHeart

I can't help on the ecollar aspect but to stop the dog from getting collar smart with the containment system make sure you never let the dog go over the wire without you when you are taking it from the property - a leash is best. Basically you fool them to believe that the only way past the zone is when you are with them! I'm sure some of the more experienced e-collar users will have ideas about using an ecollar and prevent collar smartness. Do a search on this thread as I think there are a few other ecollar topics that cover this.

Thanks, I thought that was one point. But is their anymore ways for the dog to become collar smart? I’ve done a search on e-collar but haven’t found anything yet. E-collar people……where are you….? I haven’t used it yet just waiting for my manual from K9 Force to arrive.

I would be careful about sharing info in regards to your containment system. As far as I am aware, they are only legal if used in conjunction with a 1.5 metre fence.

My Rotti goes straight through ours to bark at any dogs walking past on the other side of the fence, he has no qualms doing it so I wouldn't rely on it to stop your dog chasing livestock.

What Clyde said. I'd strongly recommend you build a secure run to house dogs when you aren't home.

The downside of the e-containment systems as I see them is that they don't stop roaming dogs from coming in. If you live in the country, its best to be able to put your hand on your heart and say "my dog was in its run" if stock get attacked in your area. Get it wrong and your dog will probably get shot if it roams.

I'd not risk your dog's safety to a containment system they can breach if highly enough motivated.

I have successfully used an electric fence as a barrier before and she won't go ANYWHERE near it now. I felt the shock both systems give and i doubt she'd want to test the innotek. Even if i hold a roll of electric tape in my hand she will take off, and this is after only being hit once with it, many many months ago. The containment system is used it conjunction with a fence that she prolly couldn't get through too easily anyway. I have started training her with it using the plastic studs supplied, the collar beeps and she turns around away from the wire.

But i can see your point about the other dogs roaming and my dog getting blamed....and i do have a painful neighbour that i haven't done anything to upset yet.....

As Midol said .... collar on, collar off. Randomise it. Sometimes with the flat collar on as well. Sometimes not. Collar on .... go play. Collar on .... don't necessarily do anything. Collar on .... feed the dog. Collar off ..... feed the dog. IOW, randomise everything and do it over a period of at least two weeks. And I'd keep it up, even once you've begun activating the fence. IOW, when you go for a walk, have the containment system off (make SURE it's off) but keep the collar on. Your aim in this respect is for your dog to understand that it's ok if she goes through with you (perhaps with a 'word'), that it's ABOUT being with you - NOT about the collar.

Make sense?

Like others, I'm not confident that a containment system is 'everything' and that it should not substitute good fencing.