Scent Discrimination Help!

Seita

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I have 5 nice sets "special sets", 1 crappy set and 1 bits and pieces set. All for one dog :laugh: .

My son used to make and sell sets of articles, so I would take all the mistakes :eek: , or the off cuts, not worrying if they were knurled or numbered incorrectly. I use these for teaching and training at home. I also have off cuts of woods and leathers.

You should find that once the dog gets the concept with the metals, you probably wont need as many woods, unless the dog decides to munch on them. It might actually be an idea to go to Bunnings and buy a length of 19mm jarrah and cut it into 15cm lengths to use as a practice set. The dog wont care if they are a little bigger than what is allowed and the fact that the edges aren't smooth. :(

With leathers - go to the Good Sammies and buy a handbag for $2 and use the shoulder strap as practice leathers. Otherwise you can go to a leather place and buy a small bit of leather and cut your own.

Way to go! Maybe our girls have been chatting when we weren't looking and swapping tips :laugh:

I'm going to try again tomorrow or maybe eve the next day, just waiting for the metals to air a bit. I have one full set, and another full set plus just a metal set on order :( Thank goodness for those spares Ptolomy loaned me, I'd be stuck with just 6 metals!!! :eek:

It might actually be an idea to go to Bunnings and buy a length of 19mm jarrah and cut it into 15cm lengths to use as a practice set. The dog wont care if they are a little bigger than what is allowed and the fact that the edges aren't smooth. :(

With leathers - go to the Good Sammies and buy a handbag for $2 and use the shoulder strap as practice leathers. Otherwise you can go to a leather place and buy a small bit of leather and cut your own.

Great tips, I might do this cos I don't want to ruin my sets right away :laugh:

I needed another full set because one of mine is pretty crappy and was missing a metal article (I know it's here somewhere I just don't know where!) and decided that since I was starting on metal it would be handy to have some extra metals lying around in case. I figured that she would pick up the wood and leather articles pretty quickly so will try and keep to training with 2 sets of those rather than all 3 as this girl has a tendancy to chew - you should see my training seekback article!! :):) I'll do another session this afternoon so we'll see how we go then!

Well I did another session, not quite the same sucess as yesterday, she got hung up when there were 3 unscenteds out she just kept bringing the wrong one back so I packed up and left it. But she obviously loves this game because I got my new articles this afternoon and as I was unpacking them she could hear the clinking and dashed out to the yard anticipating another game! I might give her another session later tonight. Although I did discover something today - if I lie the cans down and keep them all fairly close together (within 15 cms of each other) and tuck the articles between them she uses her nose more and picks them up less, it also makes it a hell of a lot harder to see which is the right article though!!!

Oh yeah - forgot about needing the extra sets - I have about 4 full sets and a set on loan from a friend that has extra metals in it :thumbsup:

Ok - I have a question - 2 of my sets are new and Leo has difficulty with this.... what can I do to make the set 'old' and easier on him?

Oh yeah - forgot about needing the extra sets - I have about 4 full sets and a set on loan from a friend that has extra metals in it :thumbsup:

Ok - I have a question - 2 of my sets are new and Leo has difficulty with this.... what can I do to make the set 'old' and easier on him?

Air them well.. leave them in all weather to air. Then play a small game of fetch.

I gave it another go this arvo. First go she grabbed the wrong one when I had a few out there but I sent her back and she got the right one. Did it another couple of times and she got it right the first go but lucky run I think cos she wasn't sniffing them. Chucked the full set out and she started sniffing them and bringing the right one back each time :thumbsup: I packed it up rather quickly before she started getting it wrong, probably did it about 8 times in total.

I'm wondering when I should give wood a go? :laugh:

Thanks Kallistar - I've aired them for about 48+hrs but he still struggles with this set more than the older ones.... I guess I just have to keep using them eh and make it nice and easy for him :thumbsup:

48+hrs is that all? with new leathers sometimes it might take a week or more.

Remember that they stink and it might be overpowering your scent. How is the rest of it coming along? And is he doing the full set of articles?

I love teaching scent work and am currently training for UDX judges scent discrem... just got to find more people to help, specially those who smoke which is something that I have trouble with (no one close to me smokes)

I find that a dog who knows the scent game usually doesn't have any problems with a new set of articles. I also find that I can use the same set of articles day after day and not have a problem - but I am talking about an experience dog here.

Katie - I suggest that you tonight you stick all the metals out and give her 3 attempts at bringing back the correct one. If she gets it right - then pack them all up and stick out 2 woods, 1 scented and 1 unscented and start buiding up the number of wood articles. But limit the number of attempts you do tonight to 8 at most. (Yes I am picking a number - just so that you don't fall into the trap of flogging it). The idea is to quit while the dog is still successful and wanting to do more. :thumbsup:

At some point, if the dog does a particularly nice scent retrieve - it might be the time to introduce a jackpot and give her half her dinner as a reward. :thumbsup:

Thanks Kallistar - will air it for longer now :rofl:

He is doing really well with his scent so far and we are pretty much up to a full set now.... but seeing as I took a long break, we've gone back a bit to 'not quite a full set' :laugh:

Ptolomy - well we definitely aren't that experienced yet :laugh: Hopefully one day!

We moved onto woods tonight - Success!! :rofl: :rofl:

We managed to use the full set after adding a few each time, but packed it up after 8 go's - definitely left her wanting to keep going! :(

She does on the occasion pick one up and then continue to sniff the others, and promptly drops it when she finds the scented one and picks that up with more confidence and heads towards me with it. I'm still rewarding her for finding the right one in the end but wondering how I can work on getting her to not pick one up until she's 100% certain she has the right one?

Gees Katie - you want everything :mad

As Ruby becomes more confident she will stop picking up the wrong article and will keep searching until she finds the one with the hottest scent - so hang in there.

You have to remember all of your articles will have your scent on - just by you leaning over the articles as you put them on the ground - your scent will be all over them. AND it was only a week ago that she had no idea about smelling them it was more of a case of snatch and grab.

Next time you do the scent articles - put 5 unscented metals out straight away and send her for the scented one. Do this once - then pack them up.

Next place out 3 unscented woods and send her for a scented one. If she gets it right, add the rest of your woods and send her again. So now you have done 3 "finds".

Then.......using tongs place out 3 unscented metals and 3 unscented woods and send her to find a scented metal. If she gets this right then send her to find a scented wood. Then pack the game away.

Good Luck.....

We moved onto woods tonight - Success!! :mad:cry:

We managed to use the full set after adding a few each time, but packed it up after 8 go's - definitely left her wanting to keep going! :rofl:

She does on the occasion pick one up and then continue to sniff the others, and promptly drops it when she finds the scented one and picks that up with more confidence and heads towards me with it. I'm still rewarding her for finding the right one in the end but wondering how I can work on getting her to not pick one up until she's 100% certain she has the right one?

Good advice from Ptolomy. build it up slowly and praise heavily for the right article brought back to you.

Thanks Kallistar - will air it for longer now :rofl:

He is doing really well with his scent so far and we are pretty much up to a full set now.... but seeing as I took a long break, we've gone back a bit to 'not quite a full set' :mad

Ptolomy - well we definitely aren't that experienced yet :cry: Hopefully one day!

That is good to hear that Leo is doing well with this.

And wash them from time to time.... in plain water. Don't use deteregent (don't laugh as people have)

I remember when I first started with Tux, my instructor put the whole set out and my face dropped a mile. She said to TRUST YOUR DOG. Gave me wood article and told me to "scent it' put it in the pile and then sent Tux to get it.... which he did.. and brought the right article back to me each and every time. Did this every week and then started the metal and leather.

It is not the way that I teach Scent Descrim to others. I teach it the way that Ptolomy has suggested to Rubystar.

Gees Katie - you want everything :cry:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

As Ruby becomes more confident she will stop picking up the wrong article and will keep searching until she finds the one with the hottest scent - so hang in there.

Ah good, I thought it might be something I'd have to do to help her :rofl:

You have to remember all of your articles will have your scent on - just by you leaning over the articles as you put them on the ground - your scent will be all over them. AND it was only a week ago that she had no idea about smelling them it was more of a case of snatch and grab.

I know, how chuffed am I!! :rofl:

Next time you do the scent articles - put 5 unscented metals out straight away and send her for the scented one. Do this once - then pack them up.

Next place out 3 unscented woods and send her for a scented one. If she gets it right, add the rest of your woods and send her again. So now you have done 3 "finds".

Then.......using tongs place out 3 unscented metals and 3 unscented woods and send her to find a scented metal. If she gets this right then send her to find a scented wood. Then pack the game away.

Good Luck.....

Will do!! Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it! :mad