Climbs On Kitchen Bench

Any suggestions for dealing with Barkly who's decided it's OK to use the couch as a platform to gain access to the kitchen bench (where he can walk around and have access to fruit bowl, sink, etc and steal stuff off the bench).

He never jumps up while I'm in the room - but sometimes I hear him. The minute I rise from my chair in my office, he jumps down and returns to his cushion on the floor.

I've thought of booby trapping the area, but trip wires and tins cans falling from the ceiling is such an effort.

So....suggestions.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exclude him from the area.

have him on leash

???

I can do that - simply shut the loungeroom door - but I'd prefer he had access to the lounge and kitchen area (it's all open plan) - I want him to have as much freedom in the house as possible.

Hmmm...shutting the door is the simplest option but dognamit, the irrational me wants to be able to leave the door open and not have a dog climbing on my benches.

Hmmm...shutting the door is the simplest option but dognamit, the irrational me wants to be able to leave the door open and not have a dog climbing on my benches.

That would be the ideal...but if he can't be trusted, then exclusion works!

practice his training.. think up a booby trap without noisy tin cans.. and then re open the door.

he shouldn't need 'freedom' in the house...he gets walked... and played with... and has you to sit by.....

If it were my dog.. I would have a bed and kong for him in the office... and a leash to encourage him to stay there whilst you are working....

Contentment all round... and a setting down of a good rule :thumbsup:

Move the couch? ;)

Damn it, I'm not going to start redecorating because of Barkly!!

The baby gates were compromise enough.

I won't do it. I won't do it. I won't do it :cry:

:rofl:

Ask someone else to do it. Someone who doesn't suffer from Couch Moving Phobia (which is incurable, I believe). :):) :)

It's the same thing you'd do for a toddler. Like move a stool away from near a stove.

I've found that managing dogs & managing toddlers are remarkably similar.

Some things that are used to keep cats off benches are bubble wrap and tin foil placed at the entry point. Bubble wrap might work for a dog. If it was my dog I would just stick a big box with a brick in it at the entrance point.

When I read threads like this I realise my lot aren't so bad after all!

That would be the ideal...but if he can't be trusted, then exclusion works!

practice his training.. think up a booby trap without noisy tin cans.. and then re open the door.

he shouldn't need 'freedom' in the house...he gets walked... and played with... and has you to sit by.....

If it were my dog.. I would have a bed and kong for him in the office... and a leash to encourage him to stay there whilst you are working....

Contentment all round... and a setting down of a good rule :cry:

I'm starting to come around..keep going :rofl:

He does spend most of his time in my office. That's where his crate, his toys and water is and it's where he gets fed.

Maybe just shutting the lounge door is the best idea. A McGyver style booby trap might be a fun afternoon activity though.

Clear the bench. If he doesn't gain any reward from the behaviour, my guess is he'll stop doing it.

I assume he's not doing it for the view??

I really should know this stuff shouldn't I!!!

Catch-22 though. If I clear the benches, then I don't care if he climbs on them :rofl:

Some things that are used to keep cats off benches are bubble wrap and tin foil placed at the entry point. Bubble wrap might work for a dog. If it was my dog I would just stick a big box with a brick in it at the entrance point.

When I read threads like this I realise my lot aren't so bad after all!

He'd eat the bubble wrap.

The box with a brick sounds like a good idea. So I set up a trip wire and the brick falls on his head right? :rofl:

Move the couch? ;)

Damn it, I'm not going to start redecorating because of Barkly!!

The baby gates were compromise enough.

I won't do it. I won't do it. I won't do it :cry:

:rofl:

Ask someone else to do it. Someone who doesn't suffer from Couch Moving Phobia (which is incurable, I believe). :):):)

It's the same thing you'd do for a toddler. Like move a stool away from near a stove.

I've found that managing dogs & managing toddlers are remarkably similar.

The couch only fits where it is (in an aesthetically pleasing way). Maybe if I bought a new couch, I could rearrange things...and a recliner, and a big LCD TV, and a media center, and...

Clear the bench. If he doesn't gain any reward from the behaviour, my guess is he'll stop doing it.

I assume he's not doing it for the view??

I really should know this stuff shouldn't I!!!

Catch-22 though. If I clear the benches, then I don't care if he climbs on them :rofl:

Problem solved then. If you don't care, he definitely won't do it. :wink: