Bow Wow Meow Insurance

Groucho

Anyone here have experience of Bow Wow Meow ( http://www.bowwow.com.au/petinsurance/ ) for dog insurance? Any problems claiming?

They're offering $6000 accident/illness cover for $10/month (paid annually). The excess is high at $500, but I don't mind that as I'm more concerned about being protected from major medical bills rather than smaller expenses. The insurance company is Hollard.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend something similarly priced? Most accident/illness policies seem to come in at $25-$35/month...

My dogs are being signed up with Medibank Pet Insurance with the $100 excess for $33.48 per month (Accident & Illness) with an annual maximum of $12,000 they also have a routine care + accident & illness too.

Edited by AnimalMad

• 5 weeks later...

When I was looking for insurance policies I found the Bow Wow Meow site too. They are heaps cheaper than anywhere else (and even cheaper again if you pay the year out-right as opposed to monthly) Originally they were my first choice when comparing however there was no-where near as much info on their site as there was on others so I contacted them for a product disclosure statement. TWICE.. never got a response from them so ended up going with Pet Insurance Australia. A bit dearer but in my oppinion if it was that hard to get a PDS from them how hard would it be to make a claim?

PIA have a higher cover too- $15000 as opposed to $6000 and the "Major Medical" plan is similar to Bow Wow Meow's $500 excess cover. It's about $15 per week I think.

Also, if you're looking for pet insurance it is sometime cheaper if you can bundle it with your current health or home insurance. They often offer discounts in the same way that you get if you combine home and car insurance.

$120 a year isnt bad if it actually covers what they say they cover. But you have to have $500 sitting in the bank! Its OK for one dog but what happens when you have more? I cant see if they offer discounts for over 1 pet :)

plan_summary.png

My two Collies are insured with PetPlan- costs $70 per month for both dogs and can claim up tp $14,000 per year per dog with only a $100 excess per claim.Came in very handy last year in November when between them they had Vet Bills of around $3,000.

They are the only company too that has the shortest waiting period-12 days. All other companies are 30 days. My avatar's girls illness happened on Day 23 after the poilcy commencement date so I was a bit scared they wouldn't pay but all Vet reports were consistent with condition so the funds were paid back to me. PetPlan also have deals with some of the Major clinics and they can be billed direct after you pay your excess.

$500 excess is more than I pay on my car insurance.

My two have policies with HCF - which I've found to be fantastic! They have already paid out two claims - no questions asked. Cover is for Accident and illness - up to 100% of costs incurred less the excess. (up to $7,500 annually). I think it costs me about $30 per month per dog but I get a 10% discount as I also have personal health insurance with them.

PDS can be found here for those that wish to compare.

http://hcf.com.au/pdf/Petcover_Product_Dis...e_Statement.pdf

I am thinking of getting insurance for my girls, what would be the most cost effective and do they all have a waiting period?

The waiting period does that mean if something happens say for example a cruciate injury they wont cover it?

Very new to this, havent had insurance for pets before so not sure what to look for in an insurance company.

I am thinking of getting insurance for my girls, what would be the most cost effective and do they all have a waiting period?

The waiting period does that mean if something happens say for example a cruciate injury they wont cover it?

Very new to this, havent had insurance for pets before so not sure what to look for in an insurance company.

Basically with insurance for pets, most of them will offer cover for 'illnesses and accidents' sustained by your pet - anything from broken bones, torn cruciate ligements, cancer and other conditions that can be diagnosed throughout a dogs life as well as any nasty accidents and injuries that result. The majority will not pay 100% of these costs they will pay 'up to' 80% of costs - there are only a few (HCF is one of them) that will cover up to 100% of costs. Note - day to day expenses are not covered e.g. Vaccinations, and any 'routine' pet care costs.

Things to check for are - Waiting Periods, annual limit for accidents and illness - check and read all 'exclusions' and make sure you understand what you are covered for. Most of the information in the PDS is self explanatory. Good luck! I've always made my money back from some acccident my crazy pups seem to have from time to time throughout the year so I am happy with my policies.