Recipes For Hard Dog Biscuits

As our girls cannot tolerate Wheat I was wondering if anyone has any recipes for Hard Dog Biscuits that contain Rice and Chicken?

They are doing really well on California Natural Chicken and Rice Dry Food(they both have sensitive tummies).

I gave them 1 Iams Hard dog biscuit and you guessed it it upset their tummies.

I cannot feed them bones so I need something hard for them to crunch on to keep their teeth and gums healthy

Pm's okay

Edited by InspectorRex

makes 1 loaf

450 g rice flour

25 g soft margarine

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) (use level tsp)

1 tsp cream of tartar (use heaped tsp)

pinch salt

250 ml buttermilk

1 large egg, beaten

conversion charts

preheat oven: 200°C, fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6

1. Sieve the rice flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the margarine and rub in until there are no large lumps of margarine visible. You won't get a breadcrumb look because there is too much flour to too little fat to create this.

2. Whisk the buttermilk and egg together, then pour into a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix together. The mixture will be very dry, and won't hold together unless you start to mix it with your hands.

3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and very lightly knead it for 1-2 minutes. There will probably be some of the mix left in the bowl which will be too dry to incorporate, don't worry if it's only a small amount.

4. Shape the dough into a rounded mound, approximately 13cm (56") diameter, then place it on a baking sheet. Mark a deep cross on the loaf, being careful not to cut all the way through to the bottom. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.

5. When cooked remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Best served warm.

you can add to this things like bacon bits or other doggy flavourings, then slice it up and dry it again in the oven like biscotti. wheat free, and you can make it how you want.

ETA you could add some liver sprinkles or chicken flavouring.

Edited by Nekhbet

Ingredients

* 1 cup spelt flour

* 1 cup quick oat

* 1 cup water

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 2 tablespoons dried parsley

* 1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients together.

2. Let stand for about 10 minutes until batter thickens.

3. Drop by Teaspoon onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

4. Flatten with finger diped in spelt flour.

5. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.

6. Turn off oven and leave cookies in oven over night to crisp.

Ingredients

* 1 cup yellow cornmeal or 1/14 cup corn flour

* 1 cup oatmeal

* 1/4 tsp. baking powder

* 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

* 1 small can tuna in oil -- undrained

* 1/3 cup water

Directions

1. Grind oatmeal in processor to make a coarse flour.

2. Set aside in small bowl.

3. In food processor, whirr tuna with the oil, and water then add all the rest of ingredient.

4. Pulse till mixture forms a ball, Pulse to knead for 2-3 minutes. Knead on floured surface till it forms a soft ball of dough.

5. Roll out to a 1/8"-1/4" thickness.

6. Cut into shapes.

7. ake on lightly greased cookie sheet , at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

8. Cool completely.

Wheat Free Tasty Turkey Treats

1 undrained can of flaked turkey

1 cup of oatmeal

1 cup of yellow cornmeal

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup water

Preheat your oven to 350°F

Use a food processor or blender to mix the turkey, dry ingredients and water until it is well blended. Then remove the mixture and knead by hand until it forms a soft dough.

Roll out dough approximately 1/4" thick. You can lightly dust the rolling surface with cornmeal to prevent sticking when rolling out your dough. Cut into shapes. Bake on a lightly greased or non-stick cookie sheet for 20 to 30 minutes. Be careful to avoid burning the treats.

Thanks Nekhbet,

I was looking for things along these very lines.

The top one should be okay shouldn't it IR or is their an ingriedient lurking that I have missed?

I am off to bake doggy bisuits!

Been making jam and stewed plums so it's time for the dogs now!

Just did a quick Google and came up with this one, which looks very easy although a bit messy :) .....would be nice and healthy if you pick a good quality tinned food like Eagle Pack or Nature's Gift. Think I might do some baking :)

1 3/4 cups canned dog food (2 16 oz. cans)

1 cup unprocessed bran

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal

1/2 vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. In a medium bowl mash the dog food and remove all lumps. Mix in the bran and oatmeal. Slowly add the oil, mixing to a consistency that is easy to mold into patties or roll and cut into bone shapes. Add more oil if the mixture is too dry. Arrange biscuits on and ungreased baking sheet and bake for 3 1/2 hours, or until hard. cool; store in a covered canister. If refrigerated, the treats will keep for about 1 month. Makes 16 medium size biscuits.

Top one would be okay if it didn't have buttermilk( mine don't tolerate lactose products) :) plus I think the margarine might upset the gut.

it is hard with dogs with sensitive tumies isn't it?

Substitute the buttermilk for lactose free milk and instead of margarine why not use the nuttlex - dairy free stuff you can buy for us hoomans.

I'd just have a play with stuff you know your kids can eat.

yeah most recipes are mix and match, you have the basis in the ones above you just change it to what they CAN eat. You can add some yoghurt to lactose free milk to make buttermilk (if they can tolerate yogurt) and instead of corn meal add some rice or potato flour - see how it turns out most dogs will scoff anything even if they dont look 110% :)

yup know that feeling ...

rotty got a few treats at mums ... geezus by the time we got back to Geelong we both had our heads out the window and seriously thought we would have to hose the back of the panel van when we arrived :)

no more nannas special 'supermarket' treats

Thanks .Have bought some rice flour and rice milk , now just have to get some Nuttelex or similar and then give it a whirl

We have a rule in this house- NOBOBY gives the dogs treats UNLESS it is the boiled chicken pieces or Cal Natural kibble and so far everyone has been good with this

Just did a quick Google and came up with this one, which looks very easy although a bit messy :birthday: .....would be nice and healthy if you pick a good quality tinned food like Eagle Pack or Nature's Gift. Think I might do some baking :birthday:

1 3/4 cups canned dog food (2 16 oz. cans)

1 cup unprocessed bran

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal

1/2 vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. In a medium bowl mash the dog food and remove all lumps. Mix in the bran and oatmeal. Slowly add the oil, mixing to a consistency that is easy to mold into patties or roll and cut into bone shapes. Add more oil if the mixture is too dry. Arrange biscuits on and ungreased baking sheet and bake for 3 1/2 hours, or until hard. cool; store in a covered canister. If refrigerated, the treats will keep for about 1 month. Makes 16 medium size biscuits.

I just made a batch of these using Nature's Gift.....will pop back in 3 hours to let Ziggy tell you how they turned out :cheer:

Oh - a quick tip - 32oz cans ~ 900g. I just used a 700g tin and only 3/4 cup bran and oatmeal then balanced for consistency. And it's 3.5 hours @ 120C (i.e. 250F).